We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clean Up Of Calis Beach Area !

swinton,south...
Level Contributor
4,313 posts
307 reviews
Save Topic
Clean Up Of Calis Beach Area !

After discussions last year regarding rubbish & debris around Calis Beach, which required a good clean up.

The situation is still the same, especially around the decking seating area at the intersection of the promenade & the water taxi bridge, there is 2 rubbish bins next to the seating area, but the decking & the shingle beach next to seating was covered in tab ends, plastic bags. One morning after our breakfast we was walking past the seating area, there was 7 empty beer bottles just strawn on the seating & floor, with empty crisp bags.

The situation hasn't changed at the back of the Golden Moon hotel with rubbish, also still loads of rubble tipped on the site, from the dolphin roundabout towards the Oykun Hotel was rubble piled up still from when we first visited Calis Beach 5 years ago,when we walked towards the taxi rank coming back we saw buiders just tipping rubble on the site with a barrow, yet they had a pick up truck to take the rubble away.

This is not a nice view for people passing through the area, are Fethiye council doing all work in Fethiye, & neglecting Calis Beach.

Saying about rubbish been thrown down on the floor, on monday when we returned home to the U/K, I was waiting for a bus to go out that evening, when 2 girls passed me smoking cigarettes,they just threw them on the floor, yet there was a rubbish bin a yard away from them.!

Sheffield
Destination Expert
for Ovacik, Hisaronu
Level Contributor
2,293 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clean Up Of Calis Beach Area !

Agree Yorkie, I never understand why people do not use a rubbish bin or take their litter back to the Hotel & get rid of it there.

It surprises me that the locals do not want a cleaner place to live & work, a bit of effort & it could be a lovely clean place to relax & enjoy your holiday.

But like you make comment, its not unique to just Turkey, it happens all the time here in Sheffield, people just throwing down the rubbish. Makes you wonder what sort of home they Live In.?????

Fethiye, Turkey
Level Contributor
303 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clean Up Of Calis Beach Area !

Hello Lula, you would probably find that they have clean houses and insist that visitors take their shoes off before entering their property.

To both of your relevant comments:-

We used to have a spare building plot between us and our neighbour. I watched the wife push a complete single bed off her balcony into the plot one day. it stayed there being covered by weeds eventually.

Generally Turkish people don't want to have anything to do with their rubbish when they have finished with it especially when returning to their cars from the beach as an example. So the Tourists follow their example, not that the UK is a clean place far from it.

Really its ignorance and not being aware of spoiling a beautiful country here at least.

John

Essex UK
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clean Up Of Calis Beach Area !

The diffence between Turkey and the UK is that if someone had seen that woman push a bed off her balcony in the UK, the authorities would have prosecuted her, whereas the Turkish authorities obviously didn't bother looking into it. If that had been next to my house, I would have complained profusely as it must have been quite an eyesore!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
15,998 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clean Up Of Calis Beach Area !

This is an old thread that has been resurrected after 7 months. I cannot understand why.

As I have read recently the whole beach area is shining like a new pin now. I have also seen imagines and its looking good.

swinton,south...
Level Contributor
4,313 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Clean Up Of Calis Beach Area !

But has the area around the back of the Golden Moon hotel been cleaned up, people still have to walk past this area when walking from such has the Oykun hotel, to the main street & promenade.

Sheffield
Destination Expert
for Ovacik, Hisaronu
Level Contributor
2,293 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Clean Up Of Calis Beach Area !

In any case does it really matter if some one wants to comment on a old posting?? That person might be thinking of going to Calis. Who are we to say???

swinton,south...
Level Contributor
4,313 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Clean Up Of Calis Beach Area !

Tourists don't just look at the promenade, they look at the general area, I wouldn't like a room at the Golden Moon hotel at the rear, overlooking the overgrown vegetation, rubbish & lorry loads of broken concrete strewn along the side of the road.

This road being at the back of the bars / restaurants of the main street. !

Why don't the locals have ago at the council, & like I said before the Calis forum of ex-pats / 2nd home visitors complain, perhaps because its not on their own doorstep, so don't bother. !

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
15,998 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Clean Up Of Calis Beach Area !

The situation is the is a problem with the cleaning contracts at the moment. However, last week a whole pile of ex pats helped over 100 people to clean the beach and the area around and each restaurant is now cleaning the beach in front of their restaurant, everyone is doing as much as they can and the place is now shining like a new pin.

Go and join the Calis Beach Forum and have your say there and you will see the great efforts everyone is making to help out as much as they can. It's very unfair to criticise when you have not been over since September and don't have the full facts.

swinton,south...
Level Contributor
4,313 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Clean Up Of Calis Beach Area !

The rubble / vegetation & rubbish has been there years, they haven't just appeared over night FJ, I take it you were referring to myself regarding not being there since September 2013.

Has a DE you should know that people take notice of the area, its no good keep saying its lovely & clean on the promenade area, when you can walk for 2 - 3 minutes from the beach & you see all the debris etc.

Good on the people who cleaned up the beach area, perhaps if they had a spread in the Fethiye times by asking a reporter down, then showing the rubbish etc , it might give the council a kick up the back side to clean the area's up.

Theres nothing better to me than having the place looking spick & span, but I put it how I find a place, & don't try to make things look better than they are, but some people won't accept there is a problem.

3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Clean Up Of Calis Beach Area !

Hi

I am here now and a new pin it is not, however this may be due to the amount floating each day .....

Get answers to your questions about Fethiye