We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

interest rates in turkey

sunderland
Level Contributor
179 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
interest rates in turkey

just a question about the rates in turkey in the bank at the minute .do you have to own property in turkey or live there to get the turkish rates and what are they on savings .and i heard you had to buy a place for 30.000 pound before you can get their rates s this true .?

Woking, United...
Destination Expert
for Side
Level Contributor
6,334 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: interest rates in turkey

Not true. Anybody with a tax number can open a bank account in Turkey. All you need to get the tax number is your passport at the tax office - for Side it is Manavgat - then 2 days later you can open an account at the bank. Current rate of interest is 5.45% and you don't need to own a place or live in Turkey either. Last year it was 8.5% and that's on a monthly TL account.

sunderland
Level Contributor
179 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: interest rates in turkey

ok cheers i do know the rates have been a lot higher in the past ,are their better rates for bigger amounts of savings or not ? say 20.000 pound or more ?

sunderland
Level Contributor
179 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: interest rates in turkey

i do already have a turkish tax card from the tax office .

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
15,705 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: interest rates in turkey

The best advice I can give you is go to the Calis Beach Forum and join it.

There are sections for banking, moving to turkey, buying a car... you name it, it's there and there is so much good advice to be had from lots of very knowledgeable people.

http://www.calis-beach.co.uk/forum/

Also you do get more interest the more money you have in the Bank and the rate is higher than quoted on this thread.

sunderland
Level Contributor
179 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: interest rates in turkey

ok ,thanks i will have a look and join up .thankyou very much

Rosehearty, United...
Level Contributor
10,190 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: interest rates in turkey

Hello fingers - as FJ has said.

The interest rates have been slowly decreasing and are now at between 7 - 7.5% depending on which bank and how much - but remember its taxed at source so income would be nearer 5.6 - 6%.

As for your £20K again each bank has different scales, and as a new customer you would be likely to be offered a ''better'' deal initially.

Side, Turkey
Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: interest rates in turkey

You would have to change the money to lira first to get those rates. The rates on pounds are similar to the UK.

8. Re: interest rates in turkey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, February 20, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Fethiye