We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

That monastery after Kaya Koyu...

Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
Save Topic
That monastery after Kaya Koyu...

After reading Afkule monastery was most interesting, we found the direction sign today....after a couple of kms the dirt road ran out and we took to our feet up the steep track for about a km..there were red and yellow markers painted on rocks sometimes but then they disappeared..while the clifftop view was awesome after another couple of km stumbling over jagged rocks and sharp spiny bushes we gave up from exhaustion and came back. There was a simple collapsed stone room but that was all we found. Not "the most interesting building in the region" as our guide read....

Kayakoy, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,786 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: That monastery after Kaya Koyu...

You didn't find Af Kule Monastery !

By the description that you've given where you found the "simple collapsed stone room" (which is the remains of a chapel) you should have then gone down the very steep path which goes down the cliff-face to the monastery.

The coordinates for the monastery are 36°34'29.40"N 29° 2'16.59"E

Edited: 2:08 pm, October 16, 2012
Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: That monastery after Kaya Koyu...

Thanks for that. It was an impulsive decision to go there as we were on our way back from Olu.

I guess the lesson is to do your research first.....

We don't have a way to find co-ordinates, but the painted dots went off to the left at the clifftop for 200m or so then ran out and as we left we noticed more dots going up to the right of the way in.

Maybe a swim today and decide if we keep the scooter. Still have to see the museum too.

Bought up big at the Tues markets round the corner and will get fish at the market today. The "Tuna" from the Black sea is apparently in good supply and well-priced @5 lire each. Last one we had was excellent....

Macclesfield...
Level Contributor
733 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: That monastery after Kaya Koyu...

Just trying to find some old photo's of Af Kule, Pitiy you didn't carry on down the steep path. There is some fantastic views from the shoulder near to the sea. I must agree too many different coloured markers. Must admit the decent is a little hairy but well worth it when you arrive. Don't forget to ware some proper walking shoes or you may regret it, as the loose stones are a killer.

P.S KK OB what's the name of the large Cave further up the coast from AK and the Aquarium ?

swinton,south...
Level Contributor
4,287 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: That monastery after Kaya Koyu...

Hello TomKathy,

Seems you are having a grand tour, making us jealous, that we aren't out there ourselves.

Enjoy !

Kayakoy, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,786 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: That monastery after Kaya Koyu...

If you've got access to a computer you can use the coordinates in Google Earth or Google Maps.

Sorry, I know about the cave but I don't know it's name.

Colne, United...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: That monastery after Kaya Koyu...

In September this year we caught the Gemiler beach dolmus and got off at the sign to the monastery. A lovely walk following the markers but we had to investigate to find the monastery because I think the path down is a little concealed. The markers also carry on up the hill on a different walk. The path down to the monastery I found hard work (we're in our 60's) luckily we had our walking boots and thick socks on. Well worth the effort to see the monastery and the view.

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,051 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: That monastery after Kaya Koyu...

Macclesfield; that is Alaaddin Mağarası of Aladdin's Cave, right?

Macclesfield...
Level Contributor
733 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: That monastery after Kaya Koyu...

Thanks for the info VR ,yes Hakan a friend confirms the same name for the cave. If out on a gulet this cave is well worth a look.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
169 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: That monastery after Kaya Koyu...

Hi tomkathy, did you like having a scooter in this area? Did you wish you had a car, or was it sufficient? Did they give you helmets? Off topic, but thank you!

Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: That monastery after Kaya Koyu...

Hi. The scooter was rented from Fethiye (opp.marina) and did us very well over 8 days- and we are in our mid 60's. I think we rode most of the area as far as Oludinez and around the promontory east of Fethiye marina and enjoyed it. Helmets were included.

Get answers to your questions about Fethiye