We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Words of Warning.

Which Fethiye hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sheffield
Destination Expert
for Ovacik, Hisaronu
Level Contributor
2,290 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Words of Warning.

Just back from my self catering holiday in Hisaranou in a ground floor apartment. Whilst there the Apartment was broken into & I lost a great deal of personal & expensive items. I consider myself lucky, as I did not lose my Passport, Wallet with Cash, & My Credit Cards. I believe I they were still in the Apartment when I returned, so cut short their time.

But in future, if I ever return to this resort, I will first ask. Is it a ground floor apartment?? & if so does it have Window Locks or Outside Bars, plus does it have a Safe fitted?? I was not the only apartment?villa to be broken into, there seemed to be a great number in that holiday period. So it appears certain Apartments?villa were being watched & targeted. As some apartments were broken into during the day when the visitors were out on Day trips.

My second words of warning, Do Not let the The Turkish Police intimidate you, I was told, I had set this up by self to put in an Insurance Claim!!!!!!! It is upsetting enough, with out that being put to you.

swinton,south...
Level Contributor
4,240 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Words of Warning.

Hi Lulabell,

So sorry to hear about the break-in of your apartment, hope everthing comes up alright with the insurance.

But when its personel possessions its never going to be quite right, I hope everyone takes on your information.

Kayakoy, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,786 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Words of Warning.

There are always a spate of break-ins at the end of the holiday season. Unfortunately some of the people that come to the area to work for the summer seem to want to bolster their earnings before returning home.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
13,841 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Words of Warning.

Hi Lullabell,

I am sorry to hear of your break in, as KKOB says there are often spates of break-in's.

I hope you can claim successfully from your holiday insurance. As you may know, you will need a Police Incidence Report Number. We had such a number when I lost my watch in Istanbul and was able to claim on my insurance. I know this is little compensation for what has happened to you, but at least it is something.

I would advise anyone to take the following information down in case of any incidents that may need to be report::-

There is a 24 hour phone line on 179 which is "the Tourist Police" they speak English. This line should be used to report any incidents.

fethiyetimes.com/news/44-news/4256-alo-179-v…

Edited: 12:26 pm, October 14, 2012
Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Words of Warning.

hi lulabellsheffield,

sorry to hear of your situation and I do hope you are able to get back your claim with yoru insurance company...

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Words of Warning.

That's very bad news. Some friends of our had a similar problem in Hisaronu last year, their first trip to Turkey, had laptops, jewellery and mobiles stolen. And like you they had gone on a day trip so had their bags with passports and cash so at least didn't have this added worry.

The following is on the FCO website

"Please take care of your passport in Turkey. In 2010 more than 500 passports were lost or stolen. Many were stolen from rented villas, even though they had been kept in the villa safe. This is a particular problem in Didim, Kas, Kalkan and the Fethiye/Hisaronu/Ovacik area. Losing your passport could mean that your departure from Turkey will be delayed and you will incur extra costs in obtaining replacements"

This is a real shame and part of the problem is that in the UK to get household insurance you have to have "proper" locks and window stays/locks fitted to BS standards. I have seen far too many basic locks on apartments and villas in Turkey that are just adequate.

Hope it is all resolved soon. Thanks FJ for posting the info on the Tourist Police, very helpful. CG x

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
1,450 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Words of Warning.

Sorry to hear this, Lulabell.

Even if you can claim on your insurance, there are some personal things which can never be replaced, and I hope this wasn't the case for you.

I'd like to add my thanks to FJ for the info on tourist police as not everyone knows this.

Rosehearty, United...
Level Contributor
10,190 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Words of Warning.

Sorry to hear that Lulabell - I know the loss of personal stuff is hard to bear - but at least the passport was safe - that can be a real pain to sort out when it is taken.

As for the police - sadly that attitude seems to be very common.

The 179 helpline has been on the top questions section here for near 3 years - but very few people bother looking at it - which is a shame as there is a good amount of info to be had.

So for all of you remember to have a search through that section.

swinton,south...
Level Contributor
4,240 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Words of Warning.

IF the apartments have not got safe's, you have got to hope they have one large safe in reception on the premises.

Personnaly not a good idea taking your passport etc out with you, only needs a pickpocket or bag snatcher, then its problem time, getting another passport & if your cards gone any money. !

Sheffield
Destination Expert
for Ovacik, Hisaronu
Level Contributor
2,290 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Words of Warning.

Thank you all for your messages, & a Big Thank You to Francis Jane for her information.

I did not know this service was in operation, If I had known, it would have been a God Send at the time.

The Turkish Letting Agent, never mentioned this Telephone Number to ring, neither did the Turkish Hotel Owner of the Hotel I moved into after the Break In.

And I was told he was a relative of the Mayor of Olu Deniz, so might have been in the know, but then again may be not.

I think this Telephone Number & Email Address should be noted by every visitor to turkey. And although I hope it never happen to any other T.A Readers, its valuble information, and should be noted by all.

Sheffield
Destination Expert
for Ovacik, Hisaronu
Level Contributor
2,290 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Words of Warning.

To update this Posting. I could not ring 179 number, so sdent an Email to the address given in the Fethiye News.

I did get a reply, But!! The message gave me a Turkish telephone numbert to ring, & that number is the Tourist Board.

I thought this number was some kind of Tourist Police. I am not going to attempt to ring Turkey from here, so I have asked if they have an EMail address.

I can only wait & see if they do, but some how, I am not really all that hopeful, but I have to try, as my Insurance will not accept the info I have given them.

Fingers Crossed !!!!!!!!