We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

spring flowers

east mids
Level Contributor
94 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
spring flowers

we are going to turkey next year and probably around the fethiye area. a friend of mine says that there are beautiful flowers in the spring, something I do not associate with turkey. we plan to go in may and would like to know when the flowers are at their best so we can decide on which week to go. my friend went in the first week of june. he also says that their are some nice walks around the area, can anyone give any ideas for these please.

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,268 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: spring flowers

Hello Wally!

Well then it is good to know that in Turkey there are more varieties of wild flowers than in all Europe!

Spring is fantastic, but so see the flowers you have to go to the mountains. The best time is April and May. Some flowers blossom earlier than others. İt sort of starts with the wild anemones, later wild orchids, gladiolus, peonies, poppies, daisies... and the ones İ do not know the name of...

There are also wild tulips somewhere on Mendos mountain but they bloom very early.

İ ahve some pictures:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=7180367@N06&q=wild%20flower#page=0

there are a few pages, but obviously not all are spring flowers, but most are around Fethiye.

İn early June there is mainly the daisies and poppies, it is aloso a bit depending on how early the weather gets hot.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,268 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: spring flowers

Sorry that link does not work, this is better:

flickr.com/photos/…

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
16,527 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: spring flowers

I wonder why you would not associate beautiful flowers with Turkey? I am sitting in my Turkish garden now and am surrounded by beautiful flowers

Rosehearty, United...
Level Contributor
10,190 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: spring flowers

Wally look up the history of Tulips.

some little info here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip

east mids
Level Contributor
94 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: spring flowers

many thanks for your replies, I think that because Turkey is a hot country we don't all associate it with flowers( big mistake) and the pictures on flickr are great. I hope to do a bit of walking when we go, probably mid may so I will be on the look out for some of these lovely flowers.

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,268 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: spring flowers

Hello again,

mid May is hopefully still good for the poppies and daisies surely many other flowers are already gone. You have to go to Kayaköy to see the fields full with the poppies it is gorgeous!

flickr.com/photos/villarhapsody/2455672899/

The best time for walking is early May, but there is a risk for rain and the seawater can be still pretty cold.

Good luck!

7. Re: spring flowers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 pm, December 13, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Fethiye