We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Poor water quality in Calis beach?

west lothian
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Poor water quality in Calis beach?

I read a rewiew about the sea at Calis beach, it said the sea was 'murky' and the beach had litter and dog poo on it. Anyone know what the sea is like for swimming and if the beach is bad?

Thanks

cheshire
Level Contributor
426 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Poor water quality in Calis beach?

Hi Running Lady,

The beach is sand and gravel, and when we were there in sept there was litter about in the popular / most used area.

We tended to turn right when we approached the sea front and walked along the promenade say 800mtrs where the beach was less populated and free.

This area was serviced by little bars under canvas and the beach loungers free as long as you bought a drink.

We went into the sea and did not find it murky in this area and not a lot of litter as the bar owner seems to keep an eye on it.

cheers

ian.

Rosehearty, United...
Level Contributor
10,190 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Poor water quality in Calis beach?

Murky, yes it can be, as its shingle rather than sand, if there is any sea running then it will cause the water to be slightly discoloured, or after heavy rain the rivers can bring a lot of mud etc into the bay, but normally there is only very little wavelets, and in May the rain will not have that much effect, so the water should be pretty clear.

Litter and dog poo, probably it will have, as does every beach I have ever seen that has had dogs and people on it, but only comment I can make about cleanliness is that there are usually a lot of ciggy butts flung down beside most of the entrances to the shore from the prom, although as mentioned the local bars etc, do try and keep it clean.

Bournemouth
Level Contributor
767 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Poor water quality in Calis beach?

Hi I have never seen dog poo on Calis beach - I can only think that if there was any, then I assume it is quickly disposed of. I agree that everywhere you get holidaymakers you get litter, but in Sept. when we go, the beach has been spotless. Maybe it gets a bit littered in high season when there are more crowds about - you should see Bournemouth beach after a busy sunny day in high season! I was amazed in fact, at the lack of doo poo in Calis, being as there are usually a fair number of strays - in fact there is more in our area in the New Forest than I have ever seen in Calis!

We like the fact that there are so many sun beds with parasols for hire as well, & so cheap, so the shingly sand doesn't seem to be a problem. However, you always get the ones who want only the lovely golden powdered sand - nice - but then Calis for us has such a laid-back feel & I'm not a big sun-bather - we're sit on the prom with yer cool beer relaxing having a chat types anyway (that's after I've spent all Eddie's money in the markets!)

Dahne Cool

west lothian
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Poor water quality in Calis beach?

Thanks everyone

It sounds fine, I just wondered if it was polluted.

DC - which bit of the beach has the cheap sun beds?

Bournemouth
Level Contributor
767 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Poor water quality in Calis beach?

Not sure, you just have to ask about sunbeds, I've seen them for approx ££2 - £3 per day. However, some hotels & bars have their own "beach areas" which provide free sunbeds as long as you buy their drinks & snacks. I have heard that sunbeds are free at Sat beach club/restaurant at the very far end of the prom & it looks gorgeous - FACING THE SEA WALK LEFT as far as you can along Calis prom. & its right at the end.

If you're in Calis, an afternoon run along the prom might be ok as you get a sea breeze every afternoon there.

Best wishes,

Dahne-Cool

Gocek, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Poor water quality in Calis beach?

Here's an article about cleaning up the beach in Çalis from a national newspaper:

www.hurriyetdailynews.com/n.php?n=-2010-03-21

Leeds
Level Contributor
990 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Poor water quality in Calis beach?

A lot of the bars have cottoned on to the use of mattresses for the sun beds. So you can sit in front of their bars and they provide mattresses as the beds are hard - but you still have to pay for their use( the beds I mean) which were about 3.5ytl per day ! of course the bars 'expect' that you will return the favour and use their facilities for your refreshment needs through the day!

The far end of the beach -' surf bar' the beds and mattresses are free- however it is a long way down and in the heat of the day its a dolmus ride rather than a walk! Well worth the trip though!

Bournemouth
Level Contributor
767 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Poor water quality in Calis beach?

Hi Running Lady, you may like to see the website:

WWW.SATBEACHRESTAURANT.COM

It looks fabulous & there are some good photos

I think they may have free sunbeds too

IN CALIS, FACE THE SEA, & GO TO YOUR LEFT AS FAR AS POSSIBLE.

SAT BEACH IS at the very end of the PROM

Dahne

west lothian
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Poor water quality in Calis beach?

Thanks everyone.

10. Re: Poor water quality in Calis beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, September 20, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Fethiye