We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Insurance for sports & tours in Turkey

Which Fethiye hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bournemouth
Level Contributor
767 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Insurance for sports & tours in Turkey

It was recently on the tele that Thomsons do not automatically cover you for insurance in case of an accident while on one of their coach tours or activities whilst on holiday.

We have heard holiday reps saying dont book tours locally through Turkish people, as you wont be insured - but neither are you through your rep! This I think is just a ploy to get you to book their own tours.

The only insurance you can really depend on is the travel insurance you take out independantly. Also if you are planning to do sports such as paragliding, hot air ballooning or anything with an extra risk factor - jeep safaries may also come into this category - then its best to include it in your travel insurance in advance - often you have to pay a bit more fee, but worth it to be covered.

In the event of accidents - God forbid! you have to pay up front at Turkish hospitals, so we always take a credit card just in case.

Dahne-Cool

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Insurance for sports & tours in Turkey

Nice reminder Dahne-Cool.

What next?! Re Coaches - Has coach insurance liability been changed in recent years I wonder? Ha ha - used to get refused on 'flight only' hols to catch / pay for a lift to resort on a tour operators coach because "CAN'T SORRY LOVE, you wouldn't be covered for Insurance purposes." But I think you are talking of excursions and not airport transfers aren't you Dahne?

I imagine because most package company excursions get subcontracted to fleet coach operators that public liability/ professional indemnity cover is then the onus of that 3rd party operator. Could that have been meant by Thomson declaring you are not covered on their own insurance?

Regarding extra risk factors you mentioned - these are called 'hazardous sports' on insurance policy schedules, yes you would have to pay extra premiums for this - that also covers diving over certain metre depths as well - and most travel insurance quotes show options to take this cover in their check-boxes.

I must say from my experience, the reason you have to book within a timeframe for the tours was so the (e.g. jeep safari operator) could add your name to their insurance policy manifest for following day's tour. As a Rep we followed these procedures.It didnt matter on my day off if I decided last minute to hop on a tour,maybe with a guest, pay driver same day, as long as they had passenger name recorded before departure and phoned through to their office the night before. I have seen the papers for such insurance; the premium comes out your tour ticket cost (that is using a reputable jeep tour company in Fethiye!).

Important for peace of mind - if you booking direct with, for example, jeep tour firm, you ask to see their indemnity insurance (this would have to be done at their office.) Not forgetting a check to prove their vehicles are road-worthy and current (like our MOT), Driver may keep those papers in jeep. Enjoy.......

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Insurance for sports & tours in Turkey

To have a TURSAB operating licence all tour shops must have adequate insurance cover and the documents have to been presented to the local authorities each year,plus they are subject to spot checks at any time by tax officers,local authorities,TURSAB officials,and Ministry of Tourism officials-so they are well policed throughout the season.

Also it is law that all driver documents(including driver licence)must be carried in the vehicle at all times and this is for all vehicles,private or hired or a tour vehicle.If a driver of any vehicle is stopped by the police or Jandarma and is unable to produce all relevant documents this results in an on the spot fine!

Anyone thinking of doing any'extreme sports'should certainly take out extra cover before leaving home-for peace of mind if nothing else :)

Bournemouth
Level Contributor
767 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Insurance for sports & tours in Turkey

Thanks for the very informative response. The cases I saw on tv were where people had been injured whilst on Thomson excursions, and had no compensation whatsoever through Thomsons.

When you say that local excursion/sports organisers take your name for insurance purposes the night before, my question is - does this mean if you have an accident whilst on their activity venture, would you be recompensed for hospital treatment, and repatriation if necessary to the UK or wherever home is? I think this could be a grey area.

Anyway I still think its best to be properly insured before the trip - many insurance policies have vastly differing clauses and exclusions.

Dahne-Cool

Bournemouth
Level Contributor
767 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Insurance for sports & tours in Turkey

Hello Sarikanarya, thanks for your response - I wondered if the TURSAB operators license includes accident insurance for people participating in a local operator's activity?

Best wishes

Dahne Cool

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Insurance for sports & tours in Turkey

Yes Dahne,if you are injured as a result of a fault or error on their part then that is exactly what the insurance is for.However just as in the UK they don't just automatically give you the money,you would have to make a claim against them.Claims do take quite a long time but no more so than in the UK where claims cases can drag on for years.

For cases involving foreign nationals they do try to bring closure within 2 years which isn't bad considering.If there is a very clear and undisputed case of negligence then it could be settled quicker.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Insurance for sports & tours in Turkey

We crossed in cyberspace I think :)

Yes you are covered if the acident is a result of some failure on their part i.e. fault,error,negligence etc.

Naturally if you are injured through some fault of your own i.e. drunk,on drugs,continue to behave in a dangerous manner after warning them no,you would have no cover,which is pretty standard everywhere for anything.

Bournemouth
Level Contributor
767 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Insurance for sports & tours in Turkey

Thank you Sarikanarya - what a lovely name.

This is all very useful information and I'm sure it will be useful for others to know as well.

Dahne

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Insurance for sports & tours in Turkey

Thank you! Not such a lovely name at the moment actually.It is the nickname of Fenerbahce who finished the season in total disgrace at 4th position.I was so cross with them I was tempted to change my nick LOL.But like a child,even when they are bad you still love them :)

Sorry TA ,off topic but a tenuous link to sport in Turkey.....

Bournemouth
Level Contributor
767 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Insurance for sports & tours in Turkey

I just think Sarikanarya sounds so lovely - I should keep it. Didn't know it was a sports person's name! Talking sports my fiance is looking forward to trying out the bowling greens at the Oykun.

Dahne

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Insurance for sports & tours in Turkey

Hi again 'yellow canary' Thanks again for useful information you supplied on TURSAB rules. This is most informative. (Fenerbahce ha ha, now I understand!) Regards cosy

Get answers to your questions about Fethiye