We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ephesus,your opinion sought.

Which Fethiye hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hamilton, United...
Level Contributor
74 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Ephesus,your opinion sought.

We have been visiting Calis for 14/15 years and have taken a lot of the popular excursions.

We always intended to visit Ephesus but never got around to it.

Given it's historical/biblical significance is it worth a visit or is it just another tourist destination?

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ephesus,your opinion sought.

I am truly astonished that you have been coming to Turkey for 14 years and yet you have never visited Ephesus.

It is one of the most remarkable places to go.Actually you will see far more if you go now than you would have done 14 years ago.The archeological work has been ongoing for many many years and only 2 years ago a whole new section(Terrace houses)was opened to the public.

Yes a lot of tourists do go-but why?Because it really is all it's cracked up to be.It is easily on par with Pompei IMO.

It's history goes back 8000 years ,it's biblical connections are well known and the remains are in such good condition that you can get a very good feel of how this city was when it was a functioning major sea port.The amphitheatre is still used today for a variety of concerts and some of the worlds greatest voices have sung there.

From Calis it will be a long day but for Heavens sake get yourself there this year!If needs be you could go yourself on the bus rather than an organised tour,which tend to be a bit whistle stop,stay in a pansiyon overnight in nearby Selcuk so you can visit around the town and see the nmuseum and other important features in the area.

Registered guides can be hired at the gates or you can use the audio guide gadgets now in use.

If you have any 'feel'for history then you will never tire of walking the ancient streets of Ephesus.Every time I go it makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up,such is the sense of history there.GO!

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,904 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ephesus,your opinion sought.

I agree with Sarikanarya: Ephesus is an absolute must to go and a highlight of all those ancient sites in Turkey!

I´m sure you will be impressed by all the restaurated ruins but also by the atmosphere, the aura of history.

I have to admitt that our last stay was many years ago and I will have another visit as soon as possible.

Rosehearty, United...
Level Contributor
10,190 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ephesus,your opinion sought.

HI SJ

Must agree with sarikanarya and patara01.

Well worth the visit.

First time we went I drove up, but would not do that again unless we were staying over for a few days.

It is spectacular and well worth visiting.

By the way have you been at Pumukkale yet, if not consider the two day excursion to visit both.

bradford
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Ephesus,your opinion sought.

It really is a must see despite the crowds you will encounter. I have visited Rome and the overall experience was easily the equal of that.

I did the 2 day trip (with Pamukkale) from Icmeler which is closer than you will be. Both are quite long day trips so to me it did make sense to do them together. The only problem with the latter was that you only really had time to either see the travertine slopes and have a swim in Cleopatras pool (it was a baking hot day) or visit the ruins of Hierapolis. The advantage of an organised tour is that everything is done for you and the hotel was more than adequate. The downside is that you cannot avoid the pottery and carpet factory!

If you do go bear in mind that there is very little shade so take plenty of water although there are a couple of refreshment stalls along the way which did not, perhaps surprisingly, try to rip you off.

Hamilton, United...
Level Contributor
74 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ephesus,your opinion sought.

Thanks to all who replied.

There is no doubt from your postings that I must now go.

It is our intention to take a two day trip covering Ephesus and Pumukkale.

Will be back in Calis in June so now have an additional treat to look forward to.

Thanks again.

Falmouth, United...
Level Contributor
220 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ephesus,your opinion sought.

I hate to get on the bandwagon John but YES!!!! Go for it.

I am not really one for going around historical sites but I REALLY enjoyed the day. I was staying in Olu Deniz and I booked the two day trip with a local agent. It was (back in 2007) £40.00 for half-board hotel plus entry fees into Ephesus and Pammukale. The hotel was okay, quiet and clean.

Great value and a great weekend. Enjoy!!!!

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,026 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ephesus,your opinion sought.

Hi John,

Ephesus; of course. But as you are always staying in Calis, did you ever see the Greek Roman site Kadiyanda above the Fethiye mountains, near Üzümlü? A hidden gem, almost in no guidebook and for that reason empty!

Ephesus can be done in a day from Fethiye, but I recommend you to either visit it early morning or later in the afternoon, so spent one night in Selcuk.

Good luck!

Hamilton, United...
Level Contributor
74 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ephesus,your opinion sought.

VillaRhapsody,

Yes we have been to Kadiyada as part of a very civilised jeep safari and as you say it was very quiet.

I like the atmosphere of these places especially during a quiet period where you can relax and try to imagine the sites when they were occupied.

Very much looking forward to our next visit.

Once again thanks to all who posted.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ephesus,your opinion sought.

As you prefer a quieter atmosphere,I would say travel up one day and stay overnight and then visit Ephesus first thing the next nmorning.I believe it opens at 09.00.Most of the tour buses start their tours around 11.00-12.00 onwards so you should have covered most of it by the time the hordes arrive.Also by lunchtime it starts to become unbearably hot amongst the ruins so morning really is the better time.In the afternoon you can then go to Virgin Marys house or look around the museum etc.

10. Re: Ephesus,your opinion sought.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:42 am, October 23, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Fethiye
Recent Conversations