We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calis or Olu Deniz ?Help me chose

Bristol
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Calis or Olu Deniz ?Help me chose

Hi can anyone help me to decide on location for holiday in May.

Been to Olu Deniz twice over several years and enjoyed the beach but not the over priced shops and resturants. When staying there I've always ate and chilled in Fethiye.

Latest reports are that the shop keepers are "in your face" and can be rude. Knowing myself well enough I'd have to avoid certain streets or risk a confrontation as unlike most tourists I won't put up with it.

Got my partner with me this year and wouldn't like to see her upset either so was realy happy to discover Calis.

Calis being near Fethiye would suite me down to the ground and we could still jump the dolmus to Olu Den when it suited us plus be near a great town with loads to do.

I've read that Calis beach isn't up to much or very clean,and the wind can make it too chilly to enjoy especialy in May when I'l be travelng.

Any ideas guy's would be gratefuly appreciated.

Thanks Mark

Rosehearty, United...
Level Contributor
10,190 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calis or Olu Deniz ?Help me chose

Hi Marky

I think Calis as your base is the best option.

The only down side is as you already know the beach is not so good, but how much time would you spend on it anyway?

Calis will be cheaper, less busy, more transport options including the water taxi to Fethiye, or when the promenade is finished a nice walk into town, and also its nearer my favourite place.

Go for it

Bristol
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calis or Olu Deniz ?Help me chose

Thank Fraser,

Much appreciated advice, I've just heard about "Ciftlik Bay" as well which I believe (hope) is accessible from Calis and a nice place to chill.

I to love Fethiye, especially the markets and harbor.

Thanks again

Mark

midlands
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Calis or Olu Deniz ?Help me chose

Hi We went to Calis last May and absolutely loved it. We stayed at the Mutlu right on the front and would definately recomend it. The breeze is just what you need and definately not cold.The beach isnt great but like you said you can easily go to Olu Deniz on the bus. Restaurants are lovely and lots of trips available. You can just hop on a water taxi to fethiye for a stroll, lovely evening meal or a boat trip from the harbour. Wish I was there now.

Bournemouth
Level Contributor
767 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calis or Olu Deniz ?Help me chose

Hi Marky, I think Fraser and Summer Midlands are spot-on - We found Calis more laid back & the restaurant touts were not so much in-your-face as in Icmeler. Some places have been made officially hassle-free zones now, but if you just say a polite "NO THANK YOU, WE HAVE ALREADY EATEN/BOUGHT 12/DRANK 3 BOTTLES/LOST OUR MONEY/HAVE 10 WIVES TO SUPPORT ETC." and smile, the locals are usually quite pleasant. Just say "HAYER TESHUKOOR" no thank you. OR SIMPLY SAY "YARUN" which means tomorrow.

On Calis prom the cafes/shops etc. are all on the same side, so if they do get a bit persistent you can just cross over to the beach side. Anyway, its all good fun, & they will be respectful if you are pleasant. Often its holidays makers who are rude to the Turks who elicit a less than well-mannered response. I think we need to remember that bartering for business is the Turkish way of life.

Calis Beach is a bit coarse sand/shingle but has cheap sun beds with umbrellas. Facing the sea if U walk to the right you will find the sandy beach, which is the turtle beach. Theres a little cafe on the way and a "TOST" bar. The prom area we found spotlessly clean - maybe some of the back streets are not so clean, but the beach is cleaned by hand - its the tourists who drop litter on the beach.

Calis has a spectacular sunset every night, & believe me you need the afternoon breeze! The water taxi to Fethiye is very relaxing and Calis is altogether more relaxed than Fethiye. Catch the water taxi on the river, near the front, I think the last one back is about 9 pm, but I should make sure of that. The ticket office in Fethiye is the wooden shed on the harbour, near to the theatre with the painted walls.

Best of luck, have a good time

Regards, Dahne-cool

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,164 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Calis or Olu Deniz ?Help me chose

Perhaps the beach is a bit less nice, Calis has absolutely better sunsets!

And if you walk facing the sea towards the rights, keep walking until there is a small rock, you can easy walk over it, then you reach the natural resort where the turtles breed. There is only one restaurant, do try one morning a breakfast there!!!

Cheers

6. Re: Calis or Olu Deniz ?Help me chose

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, October 17, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Fethiye