We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in Izmir

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
63 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
One day in Izmir

I am planning to do a day trip from Istanbul to Izmir where i plan to fly in early morning and flight out late in the evning from Izmir.

Can someone please suggest a gud itinerary for absolutely must see historical and interesting places in and around Izmir in 7 to 8 hours i will be there??

This will be around 1st week of March, hence what will be the weather like??

Mentioned in this post
Izmir
Izmir
Izmir Province, Turkey
charlotte
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day in Izmir

I don't know much about the historical places in Izmir except what I was told was the old Smyrna city walls built by Alexander the Great (don't even know the accuracy of this). However, the wall is interestıng for a few mınutes. When ın Izmır, I lıke to go to the bazaar - I LOVE ıt - then catch a ferry from Konak to Karsiyaka and have a drınk ın an outdoor cafe there. You can then go to Alsicak for more up-scale cafe-ıng, or catch a dolmus to the neıghborhood of Bornova, whıch has some beautıful old houses, cafes ın pretty treelined streets and a huge park.

Mentioned in this post
Izmir
Izmir
Izmir Province, Turkey
Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
739 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day in Izmir

Take the train to Selçuk (just under 1 hour) . For a day trip this will have a lot more to offer than Izmir city. Ephesus and Sirince are all within a few minutes and then of course there is Selçuk itself with great lunch choices.

Mentioned in this post
Izmir
Izmir
Izmir Province, Turkey
Sirince
Sirince
Izmir Province, Turkey
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,672 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day in Izmir

Izmir is a great place to spend a day at. The city has so much history and attractions on offer that I loved the few days I spent there last month.

The weather will be fine. At worst you may encounter a little saturation.

Start your day in Konak square by visting the small and cute mosque there and clocktower

tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g298006…

From there depending on your interests have a walk and shop around the 350 year old Kemeralti bazaar

From there walk along the waterfront towards the south the the old Jewish neighbourhood of Asansor where you will come across an elevator that was built by a local Ottoman Jew to assist people in going to their homes instead of climbing up the long and arduous stairs. There are also some really interesting colourful stairs you will come across too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asans%C3%B6r

The views from the top and the whole experience is worthwhile. You cant help but thank the person doing this and also for coming up with the idea of plonking an elevator at the bottom of the mountain where you aren't normally accustomed to seeing one. I guess when you have lots of money and are a banker you can afford to do these things.

There is also a great restaurant and cafe up the top as well

tripadvisor.com.au/Restaurant_Review-g298006…

From there catch a taxi to Kadifekale to view the 2000 + years old walls & castle of Izmir

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kadifekale

From there you can either walk down the maze of steep cobbled streets or catch a taxi down to the Agora to check out the remnants of the old market built by Alexander the great.

sacred-destinations.com/turkey/izmir-agora

If you still have time you can check out the waterfront at Alsancak along the Kordon boyu.

If you want to eat some traditional Turkish manti and other central Anatolian foods then I recommend Idil Manti evi

www.yelp.com.au/biz/idil-mant%C4%B1-evi-izmir

Here is a map of the route

http://goo.gl/maps/p0dQp

Izmir has much more to offer but this will give you a small taste.

Edited: 3:46 pm, February 24, 2014
Mentioned in this post
Izmir
Izmir
Izmir Province, Turkey
Konak Square
Konak Square
435 Reviews
Izmir, Turkey
Asansor
Asansor
163 Reviews
Izmir, Turkey
Kadifekale
Kadifekale
173 Reviews
Izmir, Turkey
Alsancak
Alsancak
722 Reviews
Izmir, Turkey
4. Re: One day in Izmir

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 26, 2015