We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Izmir to Antalya

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
248 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Izmir to Antalya

I wonder if anyone would mind looking at my itinerary and advising.....First time to Turkey we are keen to see all this interesting country has to offer. After time in Istanbul then Goreme. We arrive 21 June into Izmir (from Cappadoccia) and have 8 nights til our departure from Antalya. This is my plan so far:

Day 1: Pick up hire car Izmir airport (4pm) and drive to Sirince

Day 2: Ephesus in the morning then drive to Bodrum (to see it) then evening ferry to Datca

peninsular and stay Datca.

Day 3: Datca

Day 4: Gocek or Fethiye

Day 5: Gocek/Fethiye to Kas via Saklikent Gorge

Day 6: Kas (day boat trip?)

Day 7: Kas

Day 8: Cirali (Olympos)

Day 9: Fly from Antalya

I know not long anywhere but my aim was to mix up and not do too many one-nighters.

Do you think is possible Day 2? I know lots to see at Ephesus but also want to see Bodrum area and stay a little farther from the madding crowd in Datca. We like things historical but also scenery and love small fishing villages but with nice accommodation and good local food. Being mid fifties and quite fit def want to avoid noisy bars/nightclub areas tho love a rustic 'taverna'.

Also a bit of swimming. and would rather be in less package-touristy areas.

Thanks anyone much appreciated.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,892 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Izmir to Antalya

<<Do you think is possible Day 2? I know lots to see at Ephesus but also want to see Bodrum area and stay a little farther from the madding crowd in Datca. <<<

If you are second guessing this part of the trip it is probably a bit too much to attempt in one day..why not just drive straight to the Datca peninsula and look at either Bozburun or Selimiye

also along the drive from Selcuk you could also stop off at Bafa golu ( lake ) en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Bafa_Nature_Park

as for the rest Gocek or Fethiye..Gocek would be quieter than Fethiye...you can also take a day boat trip from there or Fethiye..

from Kas to Cirali you should stop off along the way at Uçağiz..and if you want take the boat trip from there to see the sunken city of Simena and kekova ; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kekova

another thought ; too bad you could not add one more day to Cirali as there is enough to see here in 2 nights..also it is less touristy compared to some of the other areas you have mentioned..more rustic and rural...with the Olimpos Roman ruins scattered in a pine forest, a secluded 4km non-touristy beach, fertile fields, and the Chimaera, the world's oldest and best-known natural "eternal flame". Also a natural nesting-ground for carretta carretta (loggerhead turtles).

This is the Chimaera or Yanartaş as it is know in Turkish .....Yanartaş - The mystical flames at the Chimaera. The Chimaera, a series of flames issuing out of cracks in the bare hillside, is one of the most unusual sites in the whole of Lycia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yanarta%c5%9f

check out these photos here; http://tinyurl.com/mo7fr6r

you are better with a minimum of 2 nights or 3...you will need time to visit the ruins of Olympos along the beach and as well possibly time to visit the Chimaera in the evening...to do all of this within one nights stay is very rushed and tiring. You would benefit by staying a bit longer in Cirali if your plans allow.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
248 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Izmir to Antalya

Thank you for your kind and detailed review. We would dearly love to stay longer, everywhere, but maybe next trip we will devote entirely to turkey! It looks like a beautiful country and cant wait to visit.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,892 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Izmir to Antalya

Hi afain Gidday!again,

Have a super trip in Turkey !!!

4. Re: Itinerary Izmir to Antalya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, February 17, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Izmir