We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I take my friend?

Which Izmir hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Should I take my friend?

Hey guys, I do realise I'm about to ask a silly question :) but I've been trying to research this and cannot find much about it.

Basically I have a friend who I really want to bring to Izmir with me but this friend, is a male-female transgender and I know about the views on that sort of thing over there. But what I can't figure out is, while there have been horror stories about transgenders actually living over there as turkish citizens being attacked and killed, I can't find anything about how being just a tourist there for 10 days would go down.

Kadikale, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Turgutreis
Level Contributor
3,532 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I take my friend?

Hm, really good question. My feeling is that you'd likely get some stares, in the main they'd be curious rather than hostile, however I wouldn't rule out comments being passed, but more than likely they'd be in Turkish so, whilst you may get the impression you're being insulted you wont really know for sure and, to be honest, similar comments are made to women in skimpy clothes in the centre of town, I had a smile to myself at a street cleaner who made a 'comment' about such a young woman in town yesterday.

In the main Turkish people are pretty tolerant, especially in tourist areas, I think you'd more likely encounter real issues wih other tourists.

However, please bear in mind these are my impressions (I've lived in Turkey - both Istanbul and Bodrum - for 12 years now) and not really based on any hard evidence except for seeing the majority of peoples general reactions to others who they may consider out of the ordinary.

Sue

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I take my friend?

I agree with all that Suehami has written,in tourism area's locals tend to be a bit more laid back about things(they have to be!).But much will also depend on your friend and how they dress/behave.Some male to female transgenders can hardly be spotted from the'real'thing but others dress and act like Lily Savage or Rue Paul,i.e. very outré,in such a way that it is obvious what they are.If your friend dresses and acts like an ordinary,everyday woman then possibly they would go unnoticed by many people.

Sadly many transgender people here end up(for a variety of reasons)involved with the prostitution and/or drug scene which,as you can imagine,just gives people who dislike 'this type of thing'anyway more reasons to dislike them.

Are you planning on staying in Izmir or elsewhere close by.I ask because there are a fair few trans genders in Izmir and there are several hotels which are gay/lesbian/transgender friendly-

letsbookhotel.com/en/…gay-friendly.aspx

This too has info for hotels and venues which applies not just to gays but t.g's too-

http://turkeygayguide.tripod.com/izmir.html

Good luck!

Glasgow, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I take my friend?

Thankyou both for your replies :)

Suehami I agree with what you're saying about the comments women get, I've been visiting turkey for years and had it many times and it doesn't bother me, it would not bother my friend either because its the same here in the uk, same reactions. I'm just in two minds about it because people in turkey although like you say are very tolerant, which is true and I don't have a bad word to say about any of them, i personally always feel safe when i'm there but i read an article earlier about 2-3 transgenders being shot over in izmir in 2011. There wasn't a lot of information about it so it could have been that these people like sarikanarya stated were maybe were involved with drugs or prostitution. So its possible i'm reading too much into it :)

Sarikanarya my friend dresses respectfully, like a normal woman really and she does appear very feminine from a distance, she has a nice clear skin complexion(better than mine which is annoying lol!) She has also started taking hormones so by the time August comes she'll appear even more feminine and go through a lot of changes and is also taking voice therapy.

Thankyou for those links :) I have booked a flight+hotel combined deal for the Aksan hotel and if she was t come along I would keep to certain areas of izmir, mostly the center.

Thanks again both for your replies I feel much better now about it and I think it should be fine :)

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I take my friend?

Oh that is a very nice hotel and in a good location too.Not far from the train station if you want to visit Ephesus,only a few minutes walk from Kordon,the seafront promenade area which is lovely.There are plenty of restaurants and relaxed cafe bars around there,Kemeraltı the brilliant shopping district is close by and you aren't far from the big Kültür Park either.Also visit Kızlarağası han a restored old trading han which houses some lovely traditional shops.I can't find anything in English but maybe you can use Google Translate on this.Click on ulaşım and a map will open up-

http://www.kizlaragasihani.com/

You aren't that far from my in-laws either but don't let that put you off haa haa!

From what you say I'm sure your friend will be fine,good luck to her.Btw,yes,I was aware of the shootings and yes,sadly they were people involved in the seamier side of life.

Glasgow, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I take my friend?

Yes I wanted someone very central Incase of getting lost, I can understand basic turkish and also can answer the basic questions. I've been around izmir before and stayed in şirinyer for 2 weeks, love that place but its quite a travel to central izmir. And kemeraltı is the best shopping place I've ever been to, and i've visited hong kong lol but still prefer to walk around and shop in kemeraltı so I'm glad i've found a hotel thats close to all of these places :) I will be sure to check out kızlarağası han! so thanks for the site.

I hope my friend will decide to come with me, if not i'll be still happy by myself but the reason I really want her to come is because I think she would love it there like i do! I'll watch out for the in-laws yes ;) lol

6. Re: Should I take my friend?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, May 19, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Izmir