We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Izmir or Antalya?

Portugal
Level Contributor
108 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Izmir or Antalya?

Hello!

I'm considering spending some days at the beach in Turkey.

Since I've never been to Antalya or Izmir, I wonder if anyone could tell me the main differences between these 2 places, concerning beaches, nearby places, restaurants, sightseeing, etc.

Thanks

Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
1,110 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Izmir or Antalya?

İzmir is certainly worth a two or three days stay and makes a good base for visiting Ephesus, the single lost visited tourist attraction in the whole of Turkey, and other nearby attractions close to the town of Selçuk.

In the city itself, it is a pleasant walk along the sea front lined with bars and restaurants and running for about 3 kms from the dock area to Konak and İzmir's famous clock tower. There are excellent shopping opportunities in the Alsancak area behind and running parallel to the Kordon

The bazaar (almost completely closed on Sundays) and beginning behind Konak Square, though a distinct second to İstanbul, is still large enough to cover several city districts, including Kemeraltı as the bazaar is often called. It is well worth seeking out the Kızlarağası Hanı, an Ottoman kervansaray with interesting vaulted shops..

The Archaeological Museum (closed Mondays), close to Konak, is also well worth a visit,. Also the Agora dating back to the early 2nd Century BC and reconstructed during the reign of the Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, located at the top end of the bazaar. Follow the signs!

Rising above the Agora is Kadifekale (Velvet Castle) is also worth a short taxi ride for stunning views across İzmir’s bay and city.

There are no really good beaches close to the city centre but you may wish to consider Foça to the north or Çeşme to the west.

The advantage of Çeşme is the choice of several lovely beaches. Our favourite beach is Altınkum, known locally as Golden Beach, with pale sand and crystal-clear sea although I have to admit the water is appreciably cooler. Lovely when you’re in!

For warmer waters due to underwater thermal activity and sea a wonderful aquamarine colour, head for Ilıca. Also Dalyanköy, just 4kms from Çeşme, with a crescent beach of course sand, also has a picturesque harbour with waterside restaurants and THE place to eat fish and drink Rakı!

The small village of Alaçatı about 9 kms southeast of Çeşme has in recent years been transformed into a boutique town with pavement cafes and craft shops but still has the best and largest market in the area on Saturday. The sandy beach, 4kms south of the village is also home to an international wiond surfing and water sports centre.

All these towns and beaches are all easily accessible by Dolmuş, the regular and inexpensive shared mini bus service.

Çeşme itself still retains very much of a Turkish atmosphere with the Genoese Castle dominating the sea front. The new Marina offers designer shops and restaurant with prices to match but is well worth a visit if only to see the multi-million pound yachts! There are hotels, guest houses, shops to and restaurants to suit all tastes and pockets.

If you haven't already done so, I suggest you post a similar question on the Antalya forum and then be in a position to make a decision based on your preferences.

If you decide on İzmir and/or Çeşme , please let me know and I will be very happy to provide any more detailed information you may require,

Edited: 8:21 am, May 03, 2012
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
9 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Izmir or Antalya?

dande49, Thank you for your detailed reply! I have been scouring the forums on TA to determine the difference between both as well. This will help very uch in a decision.

Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
1,110 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Izmir or Antalya?

Glad to be of some help.

As I mentioned before if you do decide to visit the İzmir area, please let me know if I can help further.

Muscat Governorate...
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Izmir or Antalya?

Hi, Dande49....sorry for butting in in the same question thread...i will be in istanbul with family in the month of June, and after 4 nights in Istanbul, will go to Bursa for 2 nights, thereafter we have another 2 nights to spend in Turkey before heading back to Istanbul to take return flight. My family includes wife + 2 kids under 10.

looks like Izmir could be a place to spend 2 nights at, can you advise me the best way to reach there....should I take a bus from Bursa (looks like it is nearer from there) or should I go back to IST and then take a bus from there...Please also advise reg. time it will take on bus. Is train also a possibility. Can you advise any hotels, with a public beach at walking distance, and costing around 100 euros a night. Thanks for your help.

Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
1,110 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Izmir or Antalya?

It's OK, rameen, we don't mind gatecrashers!

The bus from Bursa to İzmir would take approximately five hours. You could, of course, return to İstanbul but I don’t think you would gain any time and overall it would probably more inconvenient.

The bus journey from İstanbul will take about 9 hours at a cost of around 60 Turkish Lira.

Details of the rail/ferry journey can be found here:

http://www.seat61.com/Turkey2.htm#Istanbul to Izmir Just scroll down a little way and click on İstanbul-İzmir.

A number of airlines operate this popular route and you will find this website useful: http://bulucak.com/default.aspx

Unfortunately, there are no hotels with beach access in, or within walking distance of, İzmir city centre. If this is essential you may well decide to stay in perhaps Çeşme to the west or Foça to the north but let me know if I can help further

Edited: 9:46 am, May 09, 2012
6. Re: Izmir or Antalya?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, June 18, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Izmir