We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day in Izmir

Level Contributor
31 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
1 day in Izmir

Hi, We will be arriving by cruise and dock in Izmir from 8 - 5, any suggestions how to go to city center. what to visit? We are interested in the Bazaar, or any suggestions are welcome. Thank you very much

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
38,818 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 day in Izmir

bump

Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 day in Izmir

Thanks for the 'bump' enigma. I have been away for a couple of long days taking friends to Ephesus/Selçuk and the Karaburun Peninsula but I'm now back at the laptop!

After leaving the docks, it is a pleasant walk along the Kordon, lined with bars and restaurants, towards Konak Square and İzmir's famous clock tower.

The bazaar beginning behind the square, though a distinct second to İstanbul, is still large enough to cover several city districts. The Archaeological Museum is well worth a visit, too, as is the Agora (dating back to the early 2nd Century BC) located at the top end of the bazaar. Follow the signs!

Rising above the Agora is Kadifekale (Velvet Castle) for stunning views across İzmir’s bay and city.

There is certtainly enough for you to enjoy during your day in the city and if you require any more detailed information, please let me know.

Level Contributor
31 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 day in Izmir

Hi, thx so much for the info.

So if I can summarize,

1) I should start off with Kordon by walk, how far is the walk?

2) Then I should head for the bazaar, do you have the official name of the bazaar, seems there are 2. Which one is nearer to the dock? can we always walk, and how far is it from Kordon Sq? should take the public transporation or taxi.

Question on taxi: we are 3 ad and 3 kids, I am thinking if we can squuze into 1 taxi and my kid will just sit on my lap? Do they allow that?

Also, should I exchange some local money or Euro will do?

thx a lot.

Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 day in Izmir

Just returned to Çeşme after as few days away, several without Internet access!

1. The Kordon is approximately 3.5 kms long from the docks to Konak Square. A friend, more acurately puts it at 3,200 metres!

2. The bazaar lesads off from behind Konak Squasre and its famous clock tower. It's generally referred to as 'Kemeraltı Bazzar';, although it is so vast it covers several city districts.

I think it will depend oin the taxi driver whether he will take you all, how strict he will keep to the rules and how big the kids are!

I would cdertainly recommend you use local currency. There are plenty of exchange bureaux just before you reach Konak.

Enjoy your day in Turkey's third biggest city and please let me know if I can help further with your plans.

5. Re: 1 day in Izmir

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, October 03, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Izmir