We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safe to do this?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
52 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
safe to do this?

My husband and I are planning to fly into Izmir, rent a car and spend 6 days driving between Izmir and Iztuzu. Is it safe to do this on our own?

Rosehearty, United...
Level Contributor
10,190 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safe to do this?

Safe, pretty much so.

Turkish road accident rates are high compared to many countries, but some common sense and a bit of patience and driving should be no problem.

The roads between Izmir and Dalyan are very good and well sign posted.

When you say 6 days driving between them do you mean stopping every night at a different place.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
52 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: safe to do this?

we are planning to spend 1 night in sirince, 1 in kusadasi and then 2 in Dalyan. Then we will head back to Izmir and go to Istanbul. Thoughts on our itinerary?

Also, I meant safe from a crime standpoint, not traffic.

Thanks!

Rosehearty, United...
Level Contributor
10,190 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: safe to do this?

Even safer I would say, simply use the same precautions as you would at home. There is crime in Turkey as there is everywhere, pick-pockets in the busy places, muggers in the quiet dark places but in comparison to both our home towns I think its of no real concern.

Your drive from Izmir to Dalyan is on a well used main highway, with plenty of safe places to stop for refuel, or food etc.

All the towns you mention are well visited by foreigners so would not expect any problems.

As for itinary - compared with some visitors intentions of the rush about visiting everywhere for an hour and seeing nothing your 6 day drive sounds nice and relaxed and not hurried, which should let you enjoy the people and the country.

Enjoy.

4. Re: safe to do this?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:30 am, November 18, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Izmir
Recent Conversations