We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cesme or Alacati?

Which Cesme hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Andalucia, Spain
Level Contributor
201 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Cesme or Alacati?

I've never been to Cesme before but am looking for holiday inspiration for June 2013. I adore Kalkan and will be going there in September but I need to book a holiday next year which will be suitable for my mum. We will want to book a private villa close to restaurants, shops etc. My mother has some mobility issues but is not wheelchair bound. She can cope with a bit of a slope but not masses of steps and steep hills (hence Kalkan is not for her). Is Cesme likely to be a suitable place? In addition to the accessibility factor we would also like somewhere relatively untouristy, upmarket and not likely to attract large groups of partying teenagers. An attractive town which is not too built up, has a historic centre and no vast hotel complexes would be good. As long as we get fabulous weather and great food to go along with this then I guess we'll have the perfect holiday! All advice and recommendations welcome.

Hurghada, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cesme or Alacati?

In my view, Çeşme would be an ideal location for a holiday with your Mum It is still a rather laid-back resort but offers plenty of shops and a choice of town, sea-front and beach restaurants to suit all tastes and pockets. Fortunately, Çeşme has managed to preserve very much of a Turkish atmosphere, and the area around the Genoese Castle has remained largely unchanged for decades. No concrete jungles or 18-30’s style of entertainment here! The town also has a reputation as a holiday resort for wealthy Turkish vistors, hence the sucress of the fairly recently-constructed Marina. With designer shops, waterside reaturants and mooring for luxury yachts.

Being at the tip of a peninsula, there is also a huge selection of superb beaches, all with European Blue Flag status. Our favourite beach is Altınkum (just a beach with a few restaurants and not to be confused with the town further south), known locally as Golden Beach, with pale sand and crystal-clear sea. Although I have to admit the water is appreciably cooler. Lovely when you’re in! For warmer waters due to underwater thermal activity and sea a wonderful aquamarine colour, head for nearby Ilıca..

The town square by the harbour is a wonderful place to sip a cool drink and watch the world go by - or join one of the daily boat trips to nearby bays and islands which will be of interest to you. They all offer excellent value for a full day cruise with lunch included and visit places such as Donkey Island, Blue Lagoon, Aquarium Bay, etc.

And with hot springs, mud baths and historical sites not far away, it would be a great destination for a romantic stay.

You may also enjoy visiting nearby Alaçatı which, when we moved to the area over 15 years ago, was a village of crumbling former-Greek houses which happened to have one of the best markets around on Saturdays. However, in recent years, it has transformed itself into a Boutique Town (with prices to match!) some lovely stone pansiyons and hotels, pavement cafes for evening drinks and dinner and, thankfully, still the best market around! From your list of interests and preferences, though, I would recommend you stay in Çeşme itself.

A little further away, approximately 27 kilometres from Çeşme, is the picturesque fishing village of Ildırı, also the small site of the ancient city of Erythrae, renowned for the worship of Hercules – and the production of wine and millstones. If you feel energetic and climb up the theatre steps and up the hill beyond, you will see an old Greek Church, remnants of the Temple of Athena – and be rewarded with stunning views across Aegean islands. Probably not suitable for Mum though I'm afraid.

As you have probably discovered already, parts of so many Turkish towns are not at all suitable for those with mobility problems but most of Çeşme is fairly flat and so are the nearby towns of Alaçatı and Ilıcı and the situation is mproving all the ime.

Do please let me know if I can provide any more detailed information. I am sure you and your Mum would have a really enjoyable stay in our lovely town

Andalucia, Spain
Level Contributor
201 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cesme or Alacati?

Thank you so much for your detailed reply dande49 - your assistance is greatly appreciated. The more I read about the Çeşme area the more I wonder why it was never on my radar before. I can only assume it is because we usually rent a villa and there is a real paucity of villas to rent around Çeşme from what I can see. As a result of that we are now looking at hotels and specifically at the SIsus Hotel in Dalyanköy. Would this be a good location for us do you think? I understand that Dalyanköy is well known for its fish restaurants but are there other things to do in the town - shops, crafts, cafes etc? And how easy is it to get into Çeşme from there?

Some of the other questions I have that I hope you can help with are:

- Are the beach clubs around Aya Yorgi suitable for people with mobility difficulties? And also is the sea in the bay of the icy variety of the thermally warmed variety?! Are there better beach options with transfers from Dalyanköy?

- Do they run daily gulet trips from Dalyanköy itself or does one have to go into Çeşme to pick up a trip? Also are there some quiet boats available where you can just chill out with a book, take a swim when they drop anchor and not have your eardrums perforated by pounding music? I have read on some of the forum postings that the boats can be rowdy double deckers crammed with partying young things and that really isn't my kind of day out.

I will probably think of more things I want to ask but these are the thoughts currently in my mind. I'm getting quite excited about coming to Çeşme now!

Hurghada, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cesme or Alacati?

Hello again. Dalyanköy is a very pleasant harbour and beach village just a few kilometres from Çeşme. There is a regular Dolmuş service between the two towns, a journey of maybe just over 10 minutes. Dalyan is a pleasant place and, as you say, well-known for its fish restaurants where the more wealthy turkish visitors like to be seen especially on Sundays.

As will as the attractive harbour there is a pleasant crescent-shaped beach of fairly course sand with an excellent restaurant. The town has a decent choice of shops but obviously Çeşme itself has more shopping opportunities. The water at Dalyan and Ayayorgi should be warm, although not quite so much as nearby Ilıca (again easily reached by Dolmuş from Çeşme) where underwater thermal activity increases the temperature.

The several Beach Clubs in Ayayorgi, notably Paparazzi, Babylon and Marrakesh would, I believe, be suitable for those with mobility problems.

I am not aware of any daily boat tours operating from Dalyan and, like me, you woud prefer to avoide the disco-style boats. Not easy. I understand from some visitors that the St. Mary, operating from Çeşme and the Diana leaving from Ilıca may be quieter options. But avoid weekends!

Please don't hesitate to ask for more information or advice. We have lived on this lovely part of the Çeşme Peninsula for over 15 years and I will be happy to help.

Edited: 5:16 am, July 09, 2012
Andalucia, Spain
Level Contributor
201 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cesme or Alacati?

Thank you again dande49. I think we may have made the right choice with Dalyanköy. Nearer the time I will make further enquiries about boat trips because I love being afloat - just not with 50 teenagers and a thumping bass :D

Liverpool, United...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Cesme or Alacati?

I wonder if I may jump onto this thread?

I have booked a villa in Cesme and my son has asked about kite surfing in Alacati. Although I have hired a car, I am assuming that there is a dolmus between Cesme and the surfing beach?

Also, if I may also ask if you have any recommendations about transferring to and from Izmir for my son and his girlfriend?

6. Re: Cesme or Alacati?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:05 pm, February 07, 2013
7. Re: Cesme or Alacati?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:36 pm, February 07, 2013
Texas
Level Contributor
69 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cesme or Alacati?

The coastline around Cesme looks flatter and perhaps less forested than the coastline around Fethiye. My wife are not big on beaching, but enjoy seafood and perhaps a boat day trip. Would it be fair to say that the Fethiye area might be more scenic than Cesme and its surroundings?

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cesme or Alacati?

I love both area's but yes,to be fair Fethiye is probably the more dramatic scenery wise,espeially if you head eastwards from the town.

10. Re: Cesme or Alacati?

Removed on: 5:05 pm, February 04, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Cesme