We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

can anyone give me tips and info about staying in cesme

LA
5 posts
Save Topic
can anyone give me tips and info about staying in cesme

Hi,

we are a large group (20) going to stay at a villa in cesme, we will be doing our own cooking and everything else, would anyone tell me any information about cesme and their markets please... any suggestions on where to go and stuff our group age is from 1 year old to 82 year old grandma :)

Thank you

Cesme Castle
Ancient Ruins, Architectural Buildings
Delikli Koyu
Beaches, Points of Interest & Landmarks
istanbul
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: can anyone give me tips and info about staying in cesme

I hope dande , the resident expert for cesme pitches in.

here is some general info :

-there will me weekly markets at Cesme, Ilica and alacati on different days.

- there are also supermarkets, BIM being the cheapest but small.

- there are dolmuses (minibus) to most locations and taxis are abundant.

- alacati is the upscale area with expensive bars and restaurants.

- alacati also has terrific windsurfing but cold water even in the thick of Summer.

- There are some cool beach clubs North of cesme which become night clubs and bars for the young set in your group.

- Cesme has a good shopping street.

- Seferihisar and Teos are two areas near each other which can be visited from Cesme.

- You can also take a short boat trip to Chios island and back for the day.

- A longer but worthwhile trip would be to Ephesus, taking about 90-100 minutes almost all on motorway.

- I strongly recommend a rental car for running errands and for night out if you have someone who will not drink to drive.

- You should be able to arrange for a small bus to take all to Ephesus and Seferihisar+Teos from the Otogar (bus depot) rather than a travel agency, if you do not wish for a guide.

- Try the different Aegean greens available at the time of your stay for your salads. Some like sheep's sorrel are tangy and great fresh, others like thistle flower or leaves need to be sauteed. The weekly markets is where you will find them all.

LA
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: can anyone give me tips and info about staying in cesme

Thank you so much it helped me alot! I have one more question if you dont mind answering please :)

can we purchase alcoholic drinks at their stores? are they too expensive? or should we bring some from home?

Thank you again,

Touba

istanbul
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: can anyone give me tips and info about staying in cesme

Naturally, you can purchase alcoholic drinks at stores and supermarkets. (except for BIM which is owned by a religious group)

The most popular Turkish brand Efes beer is regarded highly by Brits and dominates the Russian market also.

Hard liqueur is definitely more expensive in the country than in the duty free and I think you are allowed one bottle per passport.

You can get reasonably cheap wines and some of them may be OK but I would go for the Doluca, Kavaklidere, Sevilen, Terra, Guzay, Likya, Karya brands to be on the safe side. Okuzgozu and Kalecikkarasi grapes are smoother. Bogazkere has more body and tanin. Merlot is also smooth, some cabernets are fine, so are some Shiraz.

For the whites, I find the Narince grape more dry.

Go for Doluca Kav, Doluca Antik, Kavaklidere Selection, DLC.

You should also try the national turkish drink "Raki" like oozo but not sweet. Drink with 50% water and ice (water first ) and during fish and meze dinner.

Goes well with the white cheese and melon.

LA
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: can anyone give me tips and info about staying in cesme

Thank you so much again for all the wonderful tips :) My husband, baby, and I are planning to separate from the group and go to istanbul for a couple of days, any suggestions? I looked up Mina Hotel it looks nice and cozy, and close to many attractions, do you recommend it?

Touba

istanbul
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: can anyone give me tips and info about staying in cesme

I do not know the insides of any hotels in the Sultajahmet area except for the Four Seasons (very expensive) and Apricot (very reasonable but not close to public transport)

Some friends stayed at Nena on the same street as Mina and were very happy. Mina also has good reviews on TA. It is close to Divan Yolu for the tram and also close to the Grand bazaaar as well as the Blue Mosque.

The only issue seems to be small rooms. If yu do not mind that and and if you check that therey have an elevator, it looks good.

Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
1,110 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: can anyone give me tips and info about staying in cesme

Sorry I have been so late in “pitching in”, Touba. We are currently in India and internet access is not always readily or reliably available. However, otherchelebi has already given excellent responses and there’s very little I can add. Maybe just a few specifics.

Çeşme market is held in the town centre on Sundays, Ilıca on Thursday and

Alaçatı (the biggest!) every Saturday.

There are almost as many supermarkets in the town as banks, including Tansaş (next to the bus station – Otogar) and Migros on the edge of the town on the Ilıca road. The more convenient ones are Carrefour (next to the Marina), Şok just opposite and BİM in the centre of the town. As previously mentioned, all sell alcohol except BİM.

Chios is a lovely island but if you make a day trip I would suggest you either get a local bus to one of the beaches or villages or negotiate a tour with a taxi driver. Chios Town is busy and appears to be overrun by scooters and motorbikes!

Our favourite beach is Altınkum, known locally as Golden Beach, with pale sand and crystal-clear sea although I have to admit the water is appreciably cooler. Lovely when you’re in! For warmer waters due to underwater thermal activity and sea a wonderful aquamarine colour, head for Ilıca. These towns and beaches are all easily accessible by Dolmuş, the regular and inexpensive shared mini bus service.

Çeşme still retains very much of a Turkish atmosphere with the Genoese Castle dominating the sea front. The new Marina offers designer shops and restaurant with prices to match but is well worth a visit if only to see the multi-million pound yachts! The main street is also lined with shops and restaurants to suit all tastes and pockets.

As the age range of your party is so wide, some of you may consider a trip to İzmir’s excellent water park, AquaCity: http://www.aquacitybalcova.com/#mstto=en It;s located on the western edge of the city. An excellent day out for all the family and great value. Our grandchildren (and their Mums and Dads) love it there.

Being so close, a visit to Ephesus close to the town of Selçuk is, in my opinion, a must. There are other sites in the area, too, including the scant remains of the Temple of Artemis (one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World), the İsa Bey Mosque and maybe a trip a few kilometres out of Selçuk to the hill village of Şirince.

I cannot really help the hotels in İstanbul apart from saying that the only one we have stayed at during many visits to the city is the Side Hotel and Pansiyon. Friends and family have also enjoyed stays there. It’s right in the heart of Sultanahmet and a few yards from the Four Seasons Hotel, but much cheaper of course. The place is spotlessly clean and guest friendly. Their website is here: http://www.sidehotel.com/english/index.asp

Hope this helps. We have lived in Çeşme now for almost 15 years and I am sure everyone will have a most enjoyable stay in our lovely town. Do let me know if I can help further.

LA
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: can anyone give me tips and info about staying in cesme

thank you very much for your reply! the more i read the more excited I get :) I have another question if you can help me, we will be preparing most of our meals in the villa. Any information about grocery prices? or for 18 people in two weeks, how much spending money should I set aside?

Also I looked up the address for the villas we are staying in and it says Cesme/Ildir, so I am assuming its not in Cesme itself. We are going end of april and first week of may, are the waters in Ildir worm enough for the kids to play at the beach? and how cold does it get at night time?

Thank you so much for your tips, it helps me alot to better prepare for our trip

Touba

ireland
Level Contributor
32 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: can anyone give me tips and info about staying in cesme

hi; could someone let me know the best place to find bus timetables from izmir to cesme . we wish to travel on a monday from izmir centre and return on a saturday to adnan menderas airport . 1st time in turkey.

regards

Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
1,110 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: can anyone give me tips and info about staying in cesme

Buses from İzmir to Çeşme operate on a very regular basis from Uçkuyular Otogar (Bus Station) a few kilometres west of İzmir’s city centre. The current fare is 10 Turkish Lira per person.

On the return journey it may be simpler and more convenient to take a taxi from Uçkuyular to Adnan Menderes Airport. Alternatively, you can take a taxi to the Swissotel Grand Efes near Cumhuriyet Meydanı in İzmir's centre where you can then get the Havaş Airport Bus to the airport.

Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
1,110 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: can anyone give me tips and info about staying in cesme

Hello again Touba.

The amount you will need to allocate for self-catering is a difficult one. Obviously it depends on your tastes and diet. For example, we don‘t eat red meat, which is getting expensive here. Fish and sea food will also increase your spending. One thing to bear in mind is that very few ‘ready meals’ are available in Turkey. However, you will find basic food items such as rice, pasta, beans, pulses, tomato puree (salça) and fresh fruit and vegetables (in season), etc. much cheaper than in your own country.

Ildır (or Ildırı as it’s often called) is approximately 25 kilometres from Çeşme, slightly closer to Ilıca. It is a former Greek fishing village with a picturesque harbour but with no sandy beaches close to the village itself. However, I would need to know the exact location of your villa to advise the nearest beach. You may wish to PM more details of your location and I can head you in the right direction for the nearest and best beaches – or for any more detailed information you may require.

The weather all over the world seem unpredictable these days but end of April/early May should be warm and sunny most days. For warmer sea (due to underwater thermal activity) and a superb beach, Ilıca may be a good option and is easily reached by the frequent and inexpensive Dolmuş (shared mini-bus) service. I would suggest having jumpers or something similarly warm for the cooler evenings.

Get answers to your questions about Cesme