We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
manchester
Level Contributor
51 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Motorbike/Scooter hire in Cesme?

Can anyone tell me if and where we could hire motorbike/scooter and how much should we be paying for 2 weeks - any info much appreciated. PS How does one pronounce CESME

Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Motorbike/Scooter hire in Cesme?

I have just learnt from one of the main car/scooter renters in Çeşme, that, due to insurance problems, no-one is currently renting out scooters or motor bikes here.

I understand that, technically, only drivers with an "A" class Turkish license can rent one. But, of course, many establishments ignore this rule and in the event of an accident, insurance claims can be difficult to pursue and it can all end in tears - especially for foreigners,

If I hear of any changes in the situation here, I'll let you know.

Çeşme is pronounced (approximately) Cheshmeh. Hope that helps!

Edited: 5:10 am, July 01, 2010
The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Motorbike/Scooter hire in Cesme?

Well, I guess I'll have to assume that my international driving permit is the equivalent of a Turkish "A" class licence (whatever that is).

I find it hard to believe that foreigners are forbidden by law to rent a motorbike in Turkey. Or is it that you need to buy your own insurance?

Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Motorbike/Scooter hire in Cesme?

Foreigners are certainly not forbidden by law to rent a motorbike or scooter in Turkey, but at the moment, due to insurance problems, no one is currently renting in Çeşme.

I'll try and check the situation in towns close by and let you know.

Fethiye, Turkey
Level Contributor
303 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Motorbike/Scooter hire in Cesme?

Hello Jos,

I have a Turkish driving licence for a car in Turkey as we live here all the time. My Class on the licence is B which appears to be the equivalent of a UK B Class. So if you ride scooters/motorbikes in the UK you may be OK.

I would think very carefully before you hire anything as the Road sense of Drivers and Pedestrians here is VERY LOW.

Have a nice holiday.

John

5. Re: Motorbike/Scooter hire in Cesme?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, December 30, 2010