We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Electrical things..

Cardiff
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Electrical things..

Evening people,

Question ; Is it possible to take electrical items such as a small tv and Hi-Fi to our place in Altinkum from the UK and use them or do we need to purchase them in Turkey ? with the use of an adaptor of course...

Look forward to your info..

Leon.

Ross on Wye
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Electrical things..

Hi Leon

Yes its ok weve taken a dvd player hi fi and kitchen equipment no probs with any of it . Good luck the hardest bit is weighing the cases everyone that goes to our apt we load up its part of the deal no one goes with any less than the stated 20kg!!

Good luck Sue

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,052 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Electrical things..

Hi Leon,

everything seems to be possible, just consider if it is worth the hassle, I see small tv's in the supermarket for just 100 TL, less then 25 GBP!

They are turkish made and the quality is fine, same for HiFi.

I do not know about powercuts in Altinkum, here in Kaya we have a lot of them, unfortunately sometimes with damage to the electrical bits, once my laptop burned due to too low voltage.

Essex
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Electrical things..

Hi Leon, You'll be fine taking equipment from the UK, adapters are pretty easy to come by, can be bought at either Gima or Migros, or there is a electrical shop on the corner of the road where the large round about is on Attaturk Blvd.

That being said because your not there all the time the supermarkets sell relatively cheap audio/visual equipment, the quality is not B/O but your not going to be using it on a daily basis, so it does'nt have to work too hard.

hope this helps

Neil

Kayakoy, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,786 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Electrical things..

Power isn't the problem,.Tax is!

When importing the electrical goods into Turkey they should be declared at Customs ( Gumruk ). There is a duty payable on all electrical items imported into Turkey, although this duty is rarely levied, non-disclosure can result in foreigners being refused entry into the country.

Many people, myself included, will tell you that they've taken laptops for instance, through customs and not declared them a number of times. If you do get caught, there's a fine, the item is confiscated and you can be refused entry for up to 7 years.

I would advise you to buy the items in Turkey. You'll have a valid guarantee, the plug will be correctly wired, you'll have done another little bit for the Turkish economy and you'll have peace of mind.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
90 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Electrical things..

Hi,

If you are not taking very special things like 112" LCD TV or Bang&Olufsen CD Player... forget it :)

As VillaRhapsody mentioned, small TV's are approx. 100YTL. With this prices, I am not sure if it will worth to bring all from UK.

regards,

wales
Level Contributor
205 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Electrical things..

not worth the hassle, all electricals cheap enough to buy in turkey

neesan

Ross on Wye
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Electrical things..

Hi

My parents have purchased a place in Altikum last year, and they have taken over a number of electrical items over, and they do not seem to have a problem at all.

Tasha

8. Re: Electrical things..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 pm, August 15, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Altinkum
Recent Conversations