We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights and accomodation in Diyarbakir

england
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Flights and accomodation in Diyarbakir

Can anyone let me know the best way to get to Diyarbakir, I was there in October but the flights seem to be hard to get and the prices have become very high from the uk. I flew from London to Istanbul and then Istanbul to Diyarbakir which I got through Thomas Cook but it is the wrong time of year, I can get a cheap enough flight to Istanbul but it only seems to be Turkish airways to get to Diyarbakir has anyone got any better ideas? It is a really nice place to visit I found the city walls amazing but didnt manage to go the whole way around!! it is well worth a visit to see the unspoilt side of Turkey and to be welcomed into Turkish Homes and see their way of living. Has anyone got any ideas of a good place to stay that would welcome me and my Turkish Partner, I did find one hotel last time but it was not cheap. I would like to spend the new year there, can anyone tell me if they have ever spent new year here and what it is like?

Hasan Pasa Hani
Flea & Street Markets
City Walls
Points of Interest & Landmarks, Historic Sites
Suluklu Han
Architectural Buildings
NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Flights and accomodation in Diyarbakir

Hi Andi: glad to hear you feel comfortable about Eastern Turkey. I am sure all who go will have a great time. It is an entirely different experience from any other place in Turkey. The scenery is mindblowing. I filmed at these sites which are usually included in any tour of the area. Mt. Nemrut. A climb up to see the sunrise or sunset is really a highpoint. The site has the "heads of the god" built by King Antiochus Epiphanes, wonderful sites nearby too. Look for my post "Climbing Mt. Nemrut". Desterted city of Ani full of mystery, Mt. Ararat, a thrill to see it, ark or no ark. Muriadiye Waterfall with it's wooden bridge that my daughter insisted on jumping up and down on, magical Sanli Urfa with its great Mosques and nearby Hurran with conical houses. Kids of all ages will have a fabulous time. Wonderful Lake Van (they say there is a monster like the Loch Ness monster there), Akdemar Island a short boatride to see ancient churches. Food is excellent, some of it is spicy but the beef stews are my favorite as is manti, little Turkish ravioli with yogurt sauce. Butter and honey are exceptional in this part of Turkey. They say Gaziantep has the best pastry in Turkey and I ate a lot of it there. Mosaics there are amazing. Please ask, I love to talk about East Turkey and want people to come there and enjoy it. I hope my little film will encourage tourism. People are warm and friendly and interested and very glad you came. Happy Travel, LemonLady

england
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Flights and accomodation in Diyarbakir

Hi Andi Diyarbakir is a really great place to go to especially for the age of the children it would give them a great insight on how the Turkish live and to see the amount of kids a lot younger than them working you wont see them on a playstation or have a mobile phone in their hands!! Education wise great place the city walls are amazing and even though I go and stay with Turkish People I would feel quite safe there alone no different than if you were to go to London not in my eyes anyway. Obviously the Language barrier can become a problem but the locals will be friendly and help you as much as they can. I am back out there this week for 10 days I love it much better than the resorts they can get a bit much sometimes but I expect the kids like all the differant things to do it is a hard choice. I am sure that Lemon Lady can give you all the info you need.

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Flights and accomodation in Diyarbakir

Hi Scorpiomum: I hope you are having a great time back there and only wish I were there too. LL

england
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Flights and accomodation in Diyarbakir

Hi Lemonlady yes I fly out again on Tuesday for 10 days I cant wait it will be nice to see my friends again, I did not get there over the New Year the flights were either full or very very expensive I will think a bit more in advance next year. I will let you know how I get on and I will remember to take lots of photos so others can see. Hope that you are well and had a good xmas and new year.

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Flights and accomodation in Diyarbakir

Hi Scorpiomum: have a safe and pleasant trip. And great about the photos, once people see how beautiful it is there people will come at an accelerated rate. Take good care and Happy Travel, LemonLady

england
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Flights and accomodation in Diyarbakir

Hi LemonLady I have returned from my travels yes great time again went to lots of places but did it snow I have never seen snow like it in England, I went to Marden and a place where there is a fish lake it was about a 4 hr drive I have forgot already where it was! but it was a fantastic place I will send you some photos when I get around to it. I had a horrible flight back from Diyarbakir, bad weather was not nice and I hate flying but the flight from Istanbul was fine.

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Flights and accomodation in Diyarbakir

Hi Scorpiomum: welcome back. I am glad you had a good time but I am sorry about the bad flight. About the snow, when I filmed in Diyarbakir last March, it snowed and at Dogubeyazit it snowed too. I remember a lot of snow falling in a very short period of time, not like NY.

I was in Mardin also, amazing for an American to be so close to the Iranian border, I liked the twists and turns of the streets there and their very fine market. We also visited a church there and our entire film crew was invited to a wedding and a feast afterward. The people were so very welcoming to our very American mixed bag of a film crew.

Can't wait for pictures. Take good care. Very cold here in NY 24F. I hear Istanbul is cold too this week but I can't wait to get there. Happy Day, LemonLady

18. Re: Flights and accomodation in Diyarbakir

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:20 pm, August 24, 2009