We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travertines

Laggan, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Travertines

Hi

I was in Pamukkale 20 years ago and it was wonderful. Anyone been to Pamukkale Travertines this year.I heard that the water was diverted some years back and the travertines were spoiled

Regards

Helen

Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,755 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travertines

Hi Helen - I think the opposite may have happened. I believe it's now very clean again, if perhaps over-touristy.

For some time the presence of hotels at the top of the site threatened the viability of the water flow, and the travertines became discoloured. Those hotels have been closed (sadly, as I remember swimming on the edge of the travertines, in the deep pool just a few yards from my bedroom, with a view of the sunset over the distant mountain range...)

I believe the travertine pools are now as white as ever, but I haven't been there for some years.

Laggan, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travertines

Thank you for that. I have great memories from that visit and plan to take my friends this year

Regards

Helen

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,174 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travertines

Hi,

We were there 16m ago; it was dazzlingly white :-) You are no longer allowed to walk on them but there are places where you're allowed to sit & dangle your feet, or walk in shallow water. There are men with whistles to ensure no breaking of rules & that visitors remove footwear befire walking down a slope to stand in shallow water.

regards

Maryland
Level Contributor
518 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travertines

We were there in Oct and the travertines are indeed a dazzling white, though a water management system has been put in place to better preserve the site. You are allowed to walk up to Hierapolis or down, though the water is quite shallow and you need to remove your footwear. But I didn't see anyone checking to see that rules weren't broken.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
137 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travertines

I had heard some people say that the pools have been dried up. Is it true?

Maryland
Level Contributor
518 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travertines

No, the pools aren't dry, there's water in them, though not deep. But there's system in place whereby water is diverted from alternate terraces to let them dry, apparently otherwise there's a problem of moss/algae which spoils the travertines. But you're basically walking in the water as you go up/down, so the experience is still the same as before. An amazing place, no words to describe it, simply unlike anything I've ever seen before!

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
137 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travertines

Oh it's such a relieve to hear you say that! Sounds like we'll still go then, definitely won't miss it! Thank you for responding!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
98 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travertines

YEs, I was there 2 weeks ago. I was told from a local the water is diverted to different areas of the travertines every 3 days during the winter because of algae and moss. But, he says in the summertime they let the travertines fill up with more water. We had to walk all around to find the natural, waterfilled travertines. The pools along the walkway on the hill are always full though and you can swim in those.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
137 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travertines

Ah ok. Thank you!

10. Re: Travertines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:22 am, March 22, 2015