We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rock Valley Travel-Tours

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
132 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Rock Valley Travel-Tours

Has anyone used them lately. We are considering a 2 day/1 night tour with them. Thanks

HtR Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Balloon Rides, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Rock Valley Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Euphrates Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Kapadokya Ranch
Sightseeing Tours
14 replies to this topic
Gold Canyon, Arizona
Level Contributor
189 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rock Valley Travel-Tours

Hi Allanc:

I am a travel agent from Arizona (USA) and have a group that will be traveling from Istanbul to Cappadocia in September. Rock Valley is handling all of our arrangements including air, transfers, hotel and all tours. This will be my third time using the services of Rock Valley. They have always been extremely helpful and reliable.

If you are in Urgup, and if you get the time, stop by their cave travel agency to meet their friendly staff!

Enjoy your visit to this most amazing part of our world!

Rick

Gold Canyon, Arizona USA

Culebra, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5 posts
412 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rock Valley Travel-Tours

we just used them for flight, airport pickup, hotel and tours in cappadocia. they were excellent. much better pricing than i could get on my own. guides were excellent.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
132 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rock Valley Travel-Tours

Thanks very much. We booked a 2 day tour with them. They responded promptly to our questions and to our request for pricing. Their prices were good so we booked with them. We emailed another company but they did not respond with the information or itinerary that we requested so we did not bother with them.

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
758 posts
395 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rock Valley Travel-Tours

We had a mixed experience with Rock Valley Travel this summer. I would give them 3 out of 5 stars if we were rating them. We arranged with them in advance for 3 single day small van tours in Cappadocia and had very clear email exchange going back and forth about the details.

THE PROS: they were ALWAYS on time, had really nice clean vans, great drivers, took us all over (except for as noted below), had a good tour guide (but he was on for the 3 that we chose and seemed tired and dragging well into the third). very knowledgeable and very responsive by email in advance.

THE CONS: the lunches that are included are mediocre at best so don't get your expectations up, but we weren't expecting great food at that meal.

Other issues were:

* They swapped out the tour we wanted on the first day with another tour. We had told them in an email that it was our definite interest and very important to do the Blue Tour which included Goreme open air museum, zelve, etc. and they had responded to that part of the email saying they understood and that was what would be offered. When they picked us up that morning, while on the mini van, they told us that they had placed us instead on a different day tour gong to different areas - without even asking us in advance whether this was ok.

* Then we had to take the Blue Tour the next and went to the Goreme open air museum, they omitted completely any visit or mention of the Tokali (Buckled) Church - which is the largest known church of the area. When we realized at the end of that area's tour that the day was not going to include this, we asked the guide who simply shrugged and said there hadn't been time, but this should have been a priority. Others were extremely disapointed as well.

* We were excited to go to Mustafapasa and to see the old Greek houses that remained and were being renovated. When we arrived to town, the tour guide just dropped us off at one center point in the town and told us to "go look around" for 30-45 minutes with absolutely no explanation of anything in the town or suggestion where we could go to see the most interesting old Greek homes/buildings. Most of the tour participants had no idea what to do and just walked for literally 5 minutes and came back to a little town park, sat down and talked with each other. we walked and walked trying to find interesting things but were lost without suggestions or any comment whatsoever. That part of the tour was just wasted time for everyone. It should include some tour guide description of some of the things in the town and some direction as to where to find some of the more interesting buildings.

We enjoyed the other parts of the Green Tour very much.

* Finally, we had reserved a private shuttle back to the Nevsehir airport with RVT at the end of the day. When time came for this, they told us we had to wait for a group shuttle and other people which would have made us late for our plane. We tried to speak to the male owner/general manager and they were extremely rude to us (the only people in Turkey over the 12 days where we encountered this) and insisted that we then pay a significant upcharge for the shuttle we believe we had reserved. We also later left a tip for the tour guide with the office and the tour guide confirmed that they never gave the tip to him.

Another couple in our small van who had booked bus and hotel services with Rock Valley also had a number of problems with hotel reservations not being there when they arrived and the bus schedule mixed up (but they seemed to try to help resolve the issues)

Edited: 10:58 pm, September 09, 2011
Deerfield, Illinois
Level Contributor
3 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rock Valley Travel-Tours

We travelled in Cappadocia with them for two days. I agree with the previous reviewer in many aspects. They have rather small groups which is good. They pick you up from your hotel and bring you to their headquaters. When the whole group is there and paid for the tour they start it. We loose around an hour for that. It is not bad and probably the only way to do it if you have your people living in different hotels.

For our blue tour we had an outstanding guide name Adnan who was a substiture guide. He is not working for the tour but leads his own private tours and just was doing them a favour that day. He was one of the best guide I ever had: passionate, knowledgable, good English, kind, hospitable. He has his private company and also just opened a brand new hotel in the area that is awesome and very reasonably priced. His site is the following http://asianturkey.com/.

The second day we had a very boring guide with one sentense per site. We reported him to the agency and hopefully they will not use him in the future. We also reserved a baloon flight (a must!) with them and were very happy with our experience.

I know that other people had trouble with them to get to the airport on time.

Overall I give them 3.5 out of 5.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rock Valley Travel-Tours

Hi

I travelled Rock Valley last year. I was not impressed.

My tour was on-sold to them from another company, it meant I missed an extra 2 days in Cappadocia because their tour was leaving on a specific day (not Rock Valley's fault).

I traveled eastern turkey, (Mt Nemrut, Van, Urfa, Trabzon) the tour was good, the driver had a great sense of humour even though little English. The guide was helpful and nice.

Even though there were only 2 people on the tour, my problem with them was that they got in the van in the morning, drove to where we had to go and not much else, no real discussion.

On the last day, because they had to get to another job, we were rushed to the last hotel, where we were left with instructions to the hotel to organise a taxi to the airport the next day, when we were supposed to have a tour of Trabzon and dinner. That never happened. The taxi did come and we were deposited at the airport. But it was a disappointing beginning for me, and a disappointing end for myself and the other person.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
6,478 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rock Valley Travel-Tours

MissT, I'm sorry your trip was spoiled but glad you seemed to be able to make the best of yit anyway.

But who did you book the tour with - surely they are the one you should be blaming. It would also be interesting to know if Rock Valley contracted with the original company to provide your tour in full, or merely tried to pick up the pieces and do their best for you in the circumstances.

I certainly hope you complained to, and received compensation from the company you actually booked with - and who you had a contract with.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rock Valley Travel-Tours

We use the services of Rock Valley Travel Agency last October 2012 for daily tours in the Cappadocia, the best travel agency you can contact, reliable, honest, small groups, fantastic guides and very competitive prices. Recommended without hesitation.

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
758 posts
395 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rock Valley Travel-Tours

Ah, just love these one post, no detail, generic reviews! So helpful.

10. Re: Rock Valley Travel-Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:05 pm, August 29, 2015

Reply to: Rock Valley Travel-Tours
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted