We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cappadocia in winter?

Which Urgup hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brazil
Level Contributor
165 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Cappadocia in winter?

There are only 2 months during the year in which I can take my holidays: January and July. I wouldn't like to travel to Istanbul in July because it seems to be so hot! Is it worthwhile to visit Cappadocia in winter as well as the rest of Turkey? I wish I could travel in May or October but I can't.

Finike, Turkey
Level Contributor
441 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cappadocia in winter?

Cappadocia is beautiful in winter, but extremely cold, you have a great chance to have a lot of snow, superb, but cold.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cappadocia in winter?

Hmmm,freeze or roast-what achoice!

July being the height of the summer is very hot where ever you go so unless you want to just relax on a beach it isn't best time.It is so hot for sight seeing.

January isn't a great month either but at least you an wrap up warm and get out and see things.Other than Istanbul and Capadocia where will you want to go to?For Istanbul the weather isn't a great problem because so many of the things you would want to see are inside and are pretty close together.

Capadocia as the previous poster said is magical when seen under snow!Yes it will be very cold so you need plenty of warm clothes but some days can be cold but sunny too.

For other area's snow can be a problem as rural roads can get get blocked and down on the south coast,although there isn't snow it can rain quite hard,but again not every single day and all day.So you could take a reasonable chance on visiting the south coasts Lycian Way to see some of the interesting historical sites there.

The plus points to winter is that as it is off season accomodation will be very cheap and no where will be over run with tourists.

If this is your only option I would choose January over July,there is still so much you can do and see and even if it is cold it is still worth coming.

Brazil
Level Contributor
165 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cappadocia in winter?

Thank you Sarikanarya and Geroll for your advices. My main interest in visiting Turkey is the historical sights. But I'm also interested in beautiful nature sights too.

I have more than 3 weeks to expend. I thought I could visit Greece too but people told me no to visit the island in winter.

To be honest, I can bear the cold but I think rain may spoil my holidays!

4. Re: Cappadocia in winter?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:37 pm, April 22, 2009
Brazil
Level Contributor
165 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cappadocia in winter?

Thank you Alisaido.

But I've given up buy now my trip to Turkey. I will restrict my voyage to Egypt, Dubai and Jordan, though my real dream was to visit Istanbul.

I know the best time is spring and fall, but my kid's school woudn't me allow to do so.

So I will have to find a solution or travel in winter. But not this time, maybe 2010/2011.

Thank you all!

Bangkok
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cappadocia in winter?

TFernandes, you have given up an idea of visiting Turkey already? I'm from Thailand so I'm not so keen on cold weather but I just went to Turkey at the end of December and had great time. Cappadocia in winter, covered with snow, was amazing. It was totally different from pictures of it taken during other seasons that I've seen. It was very beautiful. Yes, it was very cold (-12 degree Celsius during the day, - 18 Celsius during the night while I was there) but with good preparation, I believe you'd do find.

The down point of visiting Turkey in winter was that some roads to some historical sites were closed. I missed the Acropolis at Pergamum because the road was closed. It rained in Istanbul but I didn't have any problem visiting places there. Ephesus was cold yet sunny so it was good for my trip.

I still want to go to Turkey again. :-)

Brazil
Level Contributor
165 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cappadocia in winter?

Thanks, Awika. But -7 C doesn't seem good to me, specially in a windy place! You said December, no? Imagine January!

And I also would like to visit Pergamon.

So I will wait until I can travel in a better month.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cappadocia in winter?

Actually, it's a good idea to visit Turkey at better time than January. :-) I may need to go back again because I want to see Pergamon as well.

I hope I'd be able to go to Brazil too. :-D

Brazil
Level Contributor
165 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cappadocia in winter?

Hope so!

Thais.

10. Re: Cappadocia in winter?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, October 26, 2009