We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Hike is better?

Which Goreme hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
33 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Which Hike is better?

Hey! I am planning a 2.5 day trip to Cappodocia in June and am confused about which hike/trail to pick to maximize my experience.

We are 2 of us who love adventure and are not too much into slow cultural excursions. we want to chose the hikes basis 2 objectives:

1) Best views & fun hikes

2) Wholesome experience covering all types of landscapes that Cap has to offer

With this requirement, could you please recommend which 2 hikes we should among these 3?:

1) Valley hikes covering Pigeon, Rose, Red & Zemi

2)A canyon hike (I forgot the names of the places this includes, sorry :) )

3) An underground city trail

Also, if we stay in a Gerome cave hotel then can the Open air museum be done in half a day by walk from the hotel?

Thanks a lot. Will be booking my hikes basis the replies :)

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
753 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Hike is better?

Hi,

I just want to let you know that the underground cities are more like walking in and exploring a very large building with many very small rooms (with low ceilings!) that has been placed under as opposed to over the ground. It is not a a whole area that you can hike. Try searching for photos of Derinkuyu or Kaymakli, the two best know underground cities.

Hiking Pigeon, Rose, Red and Zemi Valleys can easily fill a day - or more. All beautiful in their own ways.

I think you may be thinking of Ihlara Valley when talking about the canyon hike? It is not the landscape you typically associate with Cappadocia, but a great walk along a river and some nice cave churches. Not a challenging hike.

Thre are many options for combining hikes in the area, but I think you can probably rule no. 3 out.

Hope this helps.

Hunbille

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,726 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Hike is better?

I agree with the previous poster. In your short time scale, stick to the Rose/Red valleys etc near Gorme, Cavusin area.

As you don't have time to cover many places, I'd give Ilhara Valley a miss (assuming that is what you mean by a canyon). It's more green and grassy, beautiful I'm sure, but just not so unique, in my opinion, as the trails nearer Gorme where you are surrounded by the unique formations. I liked Sognali, too, but not my first choice in your timescale.

The underground city is nothing like a hike but is a highlight in my mind.

Go for Option 1 & 3.

And yes, you can walk to the underground city from Goreme,or get a taxi.

Troy, New York
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Hike is better?

Rose/Red valley is billiant, but go in the late afternoon/evening so that you get the best light.

And be careful in the Pigeon valley, it's beautiful but I(and a lot of people) got lost and had quite a tough time getting to the correct path.

Maybe you could go through this: …wordpress.com/my-travels-2/… ‎ for some comparisons based on pictures.

I think the Ihlara valley, the Selime monastery area offer very different landscapes, and if you have 2.5 days, you should go for it. It's beautiful.

Don't miss Zelve, I didn't care too much about the Open Air museum, you can see a painted church(to get an idea) at the Tokali church outside the Museum. Even if you go, don't go in the morning.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,726 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Hike is better?

It's funny Ashwin, I liked Goreme Open Air Museum more than Zelve! Maybe it's because a lot of Zelve was closed due to safety problems, when we were there a few years ago.

Pasabag is very touristy but I still really like it.

Troy, New York
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Hike is better?

The Goreme Open Air museum has paintings that Zelve does not, so it's +1 for the museum, but Zelve is more like a place waiting to be discovered, it's like a mini hike, the valleys look very attractive..so that worked for me. And the museum is really crowded at times, and you hardly get time to admire those paintings..so..but one should visit both I feel, they are different But if short on money or time, atleast I would give Zelve a preference.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
753 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Hike is better?

Agree with Ashwin, unless you have e very keen interest in the paintings in the churches, this is the one thing I would choose not to see first. If not short on time, do both.

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,026 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Hike is better?

Hello Sin23,

Most people chose to stay a short time in Cappadocia (including myself), though the area is pretty small there are some stunning varieties in landscapes.

If possible do rent a car, then it is so easy to drive the triangle between Göreme, Ürgüp and Avanos (and on to Göreme). You will see quite a lot of interesting formations. İf you get a chance going up to Üçhisar is worth the trip too.

When going to one underground city you could consider taking a guide. I thought it was very helpful as without a guide you go through this very narrow and shallow corridors connecting smaller and bigger rooms. With the explanation the city speaks more to your imagination and you can picture a life in there. Also we were so surprised when our guide told us how deep we were, as you walk you do not realize how much you go down. This visit does not take too long so choose that underground city that is close to another site you like to visit. Güzelyurt is a nice town for a visit too and is very close to İhlara.

I thought the open air museum was truly beautiful, but some extra entrance fees were charged once inside.

What else... Avanos has some good pottery, not the commercial ones that you see all around but there are some good ateliers with pottery made from clay of the river Avanos.

Hope this helps, all the best!

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
47 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Hike is better?

Good thread. I'm going in mid-March.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
33 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Hike is better?

Hi All

Thanks a ton for the options and advice! From these replies I think I can finalize on 3 things for my 2.5 day trip

1) Full Day hike covering the rose/red valleys

2) Ilhara Canyon Hike + Visit to underground city (Guzelyurt) combined 1 day

3) Half Day visit to Gerome Open air museum

Hope this would be a good plan, basis all the inputs mentioned,

And yes, Thanks again for the inputs.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
47 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Hike is better?

Sin23,