We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cappadocia planning

Which Goreme hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
307 posts
211 reviews
Save Topic
Cappadocia planning

Doing some preliminary planning me organizing versus visiting Turkey with an organized tour. If we were to fly to Cappadocia from Istanbul, is it best to arrange airport pickups with hotel, balloon and goreme valley tours with hotel as well or is this something that is best to do individually by me. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed in planning each stage but it is usually worth it . We would like to stay in cave hotels and enjoy the natural beauty of this area. Any tips appreciated.

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,104 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cappadocia planning

I've stayed at the Kelebek Hotel and the Aydinli Cave House Hotel in Goreme - and both are great! Both hotels serve breakfast on the rooftop terrace, where you enjoy fabulous food, great views, and can see all the balloons in the air. When I've stayed in Urgup, I selected the Yunak Evleri Cave Hotel and the Esbelli Evi Cave Hotel and both of these hotels were wonderful, too!

I think you'll have to decide where to stay, re: Goreme or Urgup. Personally, I prefer Urgup because it is less touristy, while many people really like staying in Goreme. If you opt to stay in Urgup, the day tour will pick you up. If you stay in Goreme, you meet in town.

You'll need to make a reservation to have a shuttle pick you up from the airport, regardless of which airport you arrive. I've used Peerless, as they are reliable and less expensive than what the hotel will charge to pick you up. Of course, the hotel will be happy to pick you up at the airport. peerlessexcursions.com/airport-shuttle-bus.h…

With respect to taking a day tour or s private tour and taking a balloon tour, I recommend that you contact Heritage to make reservations. They do an excellent job! goreme.com/places-to-see-in-cappadocia.php

Edited: 9:32 am, July 16, 2013
Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,607 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cappadocia planning

Don't panic, planning a Cappadocia trip is very easy.

You can book your flights online from Istanbul to either Kayseri or Nevsehir airports. Nevsehir is slightly closer, but either is fine. As Globe says, you should pre book a shuttle transfer to our hotel, either book through your hotel or one of the travel agencies. Book early for best prices.

Nexr choose which town you prefer. Unlike Globe, I prefer Goreme because there you are completely surrounded by the unique scenery, unlike Urgup which is too much of an ordinary town. if you want you can read more opinions by typing " Urgup v Goteme" in the search box.

Choose and book your cave hotel as soon as possible, as many are very small and get booked up early. I also loved the Kelebek, but was equally enthral led by the Travellers Cave Hotel.

Now all you have to do is a litt.e research to decide what you would like to visit/ do in the area. One of the easiest ways is to read some of the websites of good tour companies, to get an idea of what's on offer and what appeals to you. You can then choose to do several different day tours, hire a car, do some hikes on your own, go horse riding, etc. Over two visited, we have been very happy with Turkish Heritage Travel (who run the Kelebek), Reliable Tour and Rock Valley. Look lout for tours who do not have shopping stops, also described as demonstrations.

I prefer to choose day tours from different companies to allow me to see the things I want to see most.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,607 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cappadocia planning

Meant to add- I have always been picked up from my hotel in Goreme for any tours.

Toronto
Level Contributor
307 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cappadocia planning

Excellent tips. I think I may just do it on my own then. I appreciate the names of companies you used I will check them out. Can you recommend a site for airfare (inter Turkey) flights?

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,607 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cappadocia planning

Turkish airline - THY - fly from Ataturk airport and Pegasus fly from Sabiha Gokcen airport.

THY are sometimes a little more expensive but you save time and money on the transportation to Ataturk, as it is closer to and easier to reach from the city.

Toronto
Level Contributor
307 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cappadocia planning

Do most hotels offer day trips and is it advisable to book tours and transfers through them? Looks like airline schedules aren't up as yet for next June so it's hard to know when you will be in a particular location, ie Cappadocia, Izmir, etc, that's what I am currently finding the most challenging. I have found a couple of itineraries from tour companies that I am following. Any thoughts in that regard is appreciated.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,607 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cappadocia planning

Most hotels do offer shuttles but as Globe has already said, you can check rates for shuttles from other companies.- re-read globes post.

Again, I've already given some advice on reputable tour companies. Your hotel may well offer day tours, but as I said, I prefer to compare prices, itineries which appeal to me, no shopping stops, etc.

You have plenty time to research and make preliminary plans before next summers flights schedules are available.

Toronto
Level Contributor
352 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cappadocia planning

Sometimes you can get combos. We stayed at the Kelebek. If you booked a Butterfly balloon ride (same owner) + one other excursion (they also own Heritage Travel), they would give you a free transfer to Kayseri - a 50 euro savings. Other hotels may offer similar.

Ian

Toronto
Level Contributor
352 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cappadocia planning

Colie

I see you are from Toronto as well. We had no problem pre-booking hotels etc a year out & filling in the local flights later. Pegasus did cancel one of our flights - Izmir to Kayseri - which we discovered at checkin at 6am but they put us on another with a stop in Ankara & we arrived 2 hours later than expected.

Fwiw here is my trip report: members.rennlist.org/imcarthur/turkey.htm

Ian

Toronto
Level Contributor
307 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cappadocia planning

That's great Ian, looks like you had a fantastic time, great pics! So far I have the Istanbul, Cappadocia and Izmir back to Istanbul firmed up on paper. For the inter turkey flights I am assuming that the Kayseri to Izmir will follow the same day of week schedule for high season flights and fill them in later. I did notice that Heritage tours offers multi discounts which I will take advantage. There's some pretty reasonable airfare from Toronto to Istanbul right now which I may jump on Turkish and AC. The only thing still up in the air for us is whether to do Esphesus from Izmir or stay a couple of days in Kusadasi. Compared to the tour I was looking at I will save a bundle with better tours and accommodations. Thanks for the tips and confirmation that it will work out! Cheers,