We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days, 2 nights in goreme next week - what shall we do?

Bristol, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
2 days, 2 nights in goreme next week - what shall we do?

Me and my boyfriend are going to be in Goreme for just under two days next week (arriving Wednesday early evening, leaving Friday late afternoon) and are wondering what our priorities should be for things to do and places to see. It doesn’t sound like its going to be great weather but we are keen to do at least one walk (probably self-guided) in the valleys, see the open air museum and then maybe something else that is suitable if it is wet. Any suggestions for the best walks to do or places to go if it rains would be great! Also any top tips for evening activities or great places to eat or drink would be really appreciated. We have also read about the underground cities which we thought could be a good option in bad weather – does anyone know which is the best and easy to get to from Goreme by bus? We don’t want to do any tours as we don’t have the budget and happy to explore on our own.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
539 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 days, 2 nights in goreme next week - what shall we do?

You should go for a walk in the Rose valley, it takes about 2-2.5 hrs and has the most varied landscape. You can start a day by going to Zelve open air museum (there's a bus from Göreme at about 10.15), after that walk back to Pasabag, then Cavusin and climb up to the old village where you find the oldest and biggest church in Cappadocia. Then walk back through Red and Rose valleys to Göreme open air museum. Ask your hotel for more detailed instructions,they also have walking maps.

On your second morning take a local bus to Nevsehir and from there to Kaymakli, which is slightly easier to go to than Derinkuyu.

The best place for dinner is Topdeck's but make sure to make a reservation in advance as it's always full.

Indonesia
Level Contributor
42 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 days, 2 nights in goreme next week - what shall we do?

Me and my friend was there last December and we climb up the hill in early morning to see the sunrise.

I would recommend this activity for you, because at the moment you see the hot air balloon flew one by one is really amazing experience. The path is close to Coco Cave Hotel, maybe 20-30 minutes walk to the top. You can ask local people or your hotel/hostel staff. I am sure they know about this place, because there is big antena in the top of the hill.

We also explore Derinkuyu underground city, approximately more or less one hour inside the city. For dinner we eat pottery kebab (Goreme speciality) in Orient Restaurant and it cost about 25 TL for full menu (salad, bread, pottery kebab and desert). If you still have time, its also good opportunity to visit Avanos village to see pottery making, about 30 minutes by car but i am not sure if there any bus going there. Better ask in the bus station in Goreme.

Hope you have a great time as we did :)

Edited: 12:25 pm, March 25, 2013
3. Re: 2 days, 2 nights in goreme next week - what shall we do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 27, 2014