We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 nights...1 1/2 days in goreme in August

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Topic
2 nights...1 1/2 days in goreme in August

Hi everybody,

My wife and I will be in goreme for 2 nights(28th/29th) in august.We booked a car for our travels between goreme and Bursa.We have only 1 and 1/2 days(ie:29th and half day 30th) in Goreme.I intended leaving the half day of the 30th exclusively for a balloon flight.My intention for the 29th was to do as much of goreme as possible,and some of the places that we intend visiting is 1)open air museum, 2)at least 1 underground city, 3)Ihlara valley, 4)love valley, 5)Cappadocia cave dwellings in Urgup, 6)The fairy chimneys in Cappadocia Pasabaq 7)pigeon valley.

Is it possible to see all these places in 1 day? If not, then please recommend in order of importance the places which should be seen.

Motivating your humble and respected view/opinion will be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 nights...1 1/2 days in goreme in August

I do not believe it is possible to see all of this in one day. And, if you do, I suspect you will see it ethier too fast to absorb what it is you are seeing or be too tired at the end to enjoy your day.

Let's begin with what you mean by you've reserved a half day on the 30th for a balloon trip. The balloon trips begin before dawn, and you will likely have returned to your hotel in time to take a nap before breakfast is served. If by half-day you mean you plan to leave Goreme at noon, then you could actually take the balloon flight and visit the open air museum in that half day (double check what time the museum opens). As it is a self-guided experience (though I suggest renting the audio guide to take with you), you can go at your own pace, even skip over and come back to crowded spots. We took 4 hours to see it with my family, but I believe most people would feel that they had covered it well in about 2 hours. (My wife is disabled and I am a photography nut, so our times are about double those of most people.)

Normally, I would recommend the museum as your first stop, but since you are interested in the underground cities, realize that they are a significant drive from Goreme and will probably take at least a half day to include them (and you should). So, I suggest that be your first thing on the 29th, then fill in the rest of your day with the other sites you've mentioned above.

Also, your balloon flight will likely take you over some of them as well. So, since you are actually arriving on the evening of the 28th, if I was trying to squeeze in all you are, I might begin with the balloon flight the morning of the 29th. Then, since you are already up, take advantage of your early start to get in that drive to the farthest of the points you want to see, and work your way back.

Also, since the way you worded your above post, it seems to me that the balloon flight is something you are really interested in. And though the likelihood of cancellation is small (they fly rain or shine), but high winds can ground them. It gives you a back-up option rather than ending your trip on a bitter disappointment.

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Level Contributor
54 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 nights...1 1/2 days in goreme in August

Hi! That is excellent advice you've given to the poster.

We're planning a trip to Cappadicia next year

- wanted to go over Spring break in first week of April but heard it rains a lot in Cappadocia then. Do you have any thoughts on that? Only other choice I'd mid June & I'm afraid it might be too hot then. Thanks

Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 nights...1 1/2 days in goreme in August

www.cappadocia.travel/cappadocia-weather

turkeytravelplanner.com/WhenToGo/…04_apr.html

I would rather risk the rain than the heat.

Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 nights...1 1/2 days in goreme in August

I can't imagine a better time to see Turkey in general than April. It will be too late to ski and too early to swim (except in the south where it will already be as warm as a Fort Wayne summer), but you'll generally have good weather. No major thunderstorms like we get in the midwest in summer. And generally not all day rains either. And you'll beat both the heat and the crowds.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
539 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 nights...1 1/2 days in goreme in August

If you are short of time, I'd also start with a balloon flight the first morning. You can go to Göreme open air museum either right after that or early the next museum (you should be done there by 10 when tour groups start arriving). You should definitely see an underground city (Kaymakli is my recommendation, only 30 km from Göreme). I would skip Ihlara valley (too far, 100 km, and although beautiful, not so typically Cappadocian), Ürgüp cave dwellings (there are more authentic ones in Göreme or Uchisar) and Love valley (I suppose you mean the one which is actually called Honey valley and takes at least 3 hours to walk). You can go to the original Love valley which is right behind Göreme and it takes only about half an hour to walk, you should also walk the pigeon valley from Göreme to Uchisar and climb to the .top of the castle. You should also drive to Pahabag to see the fairy chimneys there and if you have time, also go to Zelve open air museum (1 km) from Pashabag) which has the most authentic cave dwellings.

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 nights...1 1/2 days in goreme in August

Hi and a big thank you to miasmith and turkce_bilmiyorum for your'lls response.

I like the idea of kicking off Goreme with a balloon trip on the 1st morning after our arrival and then doing the open air museum till mid day.Between mid day and sunset we could maybe do a)kaymakli underground city,pigeon valley and fairy chimney/cave dwellings at zelve or b)kaymakli underground city,love valley and fairy chimney/cave dwellings at zelve. Which of a) or b) would be better?

Since we would like to be out of goreme by mid day on the 30th(on my way to konya) maybe Ihlara valley could be done on the morning of the 30th en-route to konya...Does this sound ok?I know that the amount of time spent at each place will be dependant on an individual himself,but if keeping in mind that a visitor would like to achieve seeing as many of theses places as possible in these 1 1/2 days, what sort of time would you guys suggest is sufficient at each of these places(keeping in mind travelling between these places) Please help with ideas and thoughts...All suggestions are seen in a positive way and really appreciated.

Thank you.

KL
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 nights...1 1/2 days in goreme in August

I did all the itineraries on yr 1st day within one day. It is doable.

Table View, South...
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 nights...1 1/2 days in goreme in August

I am assuming that you want to visit the Mevlana museum in Konya which will only take 1 hour at most. Suggest that you leave Gorome later than mid day. Gorome is 10 times nicer than Konya, imho.

Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 nights...1 1/2 days in goreme in August

Goreme Open Air Museum in August is open 8:00-19:00 (don't enter after 5 PM).

Kaymakli Underground City (I agree a better choice than Derinkuyu, though not as big) is open 8:00-17:00.

If you're balloon pick-up as at 4:45 AM. You'll probably launch about 5:30 AM. Which has you back on the ground at 6:30 AM. And back at your hotel by 7:15 AM.

You could have breakfast, walk to the Goreme Open Air museum (but don't you're going to be walking all day), and then have lunch and drive to Kaymakli and be underground in the heat of the day.

If it wasn't August, I would reverse that order because you could drive to Kaymakli while it was closed and arrive when it first opened and less crowded, and return to Goreme which is less crowded in the afternoon and open later in the day.

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Level Contributor
54 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 nights...1 1/2 days in goreme in August

Thanks. Since I've really liked your practical suggestions on this forum, wondering if you have any suggestions for the Turquoise coast.

- will the water be warm enough to swim in the ocean?

-best place to base ourselves? Was thing Curali or Kas but open to suggestions. (family oriented)

- apart from sea kayaking to the ruins at kekova, Chimaera, and hiking a short segment of the Lycian way, any other suggested activities?

We'll probably be there for 3-4 days.