We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of tout in Nevsehir bus station to Goreme

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
173 posts
1 review
Beware of tout in Nevsehir bus station to Goreme

There are many reports on touts in bus stations especially to Cappadocia and I was an unfortunate victim having to come across one.

I am a solo female traveller who travelled to Turkey for 16 days in May 2012. I took an overnight bus with Nevsehir Seyahat from Pamukkale to Goreme on the 24th May 2012. I bought the bus ticket from a travel agency in Pamukkale and have specified that I want to go to Goreme. The agent confirmed that the bus ticket I bought goes to Goreme direct but he did warned me at Nevsehir bus station, touts may board the bus and tell you that the bus is not going direct to Goreme and asked you to alight from the bus and change to another bus. He told me to stayed on the bus and not to alight. In the overnight bus, there was also a group of Aussies & Americans in a tour who is also going to Goreme direct. I also overheard the agent warning them about touts.

When the bus arrived at Nevsehir bus station in the morning, I stayed on the bus. A plump,white haired dark Turkish man with big eyes board the bus and told me to get off.

There was also an Indian girl travelling solo and he said the same thing to her. She told him that this bus is going to Goreme and she is not getting off. Apparently, she told me that her agent also told her to stay on the bus and warned her about the touts. The Turkish man was very adamant and told us to get off as we need to switch buses. I looked around in the bus, there is no one in the bus except the 2 of us (me and the Indian girl) I tried to look for the Aussies & American group but was not able to find them. There was a Portuguese couple who also got off the bus.

I decided to get off the bus and told the Indian girl that there was no one in the bus anyway. I was thinking of getting off the bus to find out why no one is in the bus and before I know what happened, the Turkish guy said something to the bus steward in Turkish and the bus steward went to the baggage area in the bus and handed the backpacks to us! I saw the Portuguese couple and asked if they were heading to Goreme too. They said they are and have hotel reservations. The Turkish guy went "they had hotel reservations" I was confused as I had only hostel reservations. The Turkish guy asked us to follow him and before I knew anything, the Turkish guy hurried us and brought us to his travel agency in the bus station and asked us if we want any hotel,hot air balloon or day trips bookings. I told him I already had hostel bookings, he asked me the hostel name and when I told him the hostel, he said "oh that is my cousin's brother's hostel" (how coincidence?!) He was trying to sell us day trip packages and hot air balloons rides and said things like "you are not able to get good rates or find any agencies in Goreme, Goreme is a deserted town" I told him I already had packages booked, he said me my travel agency company name and I replied him a reputable one in Goreme. He cringed his face and targeted the Indian girl who rejected his offers by saying she will think about it and check out in Goreme. We both wanted to get on the bus that will bring us to Goreme. He was very aggressive and spoke really loud, to a point of getting really rude and sarcastic. Out of curiosity, I asked him about the rate for airport shuttle from Goreme to Kayseri and he quoted me 20 euro (where I can get 10 euro in Goreme and from other reputable agencies) After realizing he can get nothing from us, this guy just brushed us aside and waved his hand and told us to go to the bus which will transfer us to Goreme. He directed us to the bus which is the EXACT SAME bus which we got off!

In the hostel, I chatted with an Indian couple who was also travelling on their own. They also had the same exact encounter as me and met with the same plump white haired dark Turkish man with big eyes! They told me he tried to sell them day trips at 90TL and they overheard him quoting a Korean solo female traveller at 110TL. In Goreme, it costs around 80TL for the red tour.

I still kept a copy of the brochure which the Turkish man had given me. I am not sure if I can list the tour agency name in TA. There are 3 websites listed in the brochure and only 1 site is working.

I just want to warn solo or couples travelling on their own to be wary of this Turkish tout. I am also pretty upset with the bus steward as he could stepped in and intervened as he knew we are both going to Goreme and the tout is trying to dupe us to get off.

So if you are taking a bus which will arrive at Nevsehir bus station and you are approached by a plump white haired dark Turkish man with big eyes, just IGNORE him.

Stuttgart, Germany
Level Contributor
7 posts
1. Re: Beware of tout in Nevsehir bus station to Goreme

My God, this is horror. It's good to know. Thank you!

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
8,237 posts
52 reviews
2. Re: Beware of tout in Nevsehir bus station to Goreme

Vox, I am so sorry to hear of this.

Sadly, it's not the first report of problems woth Cappadocia area buses - some have even been known to leave passengers at the roadside, telling them they have to transfer for Goreme.

Some of our Turkey D.E.'s have recently made representations to the bus companies and authorities to try and stop such poor practise which can only be detrimental to tourism in the area.

You are most certainly allowed to name the companies involved and it would be a great help to future travellers if you could tell us the name of this so called travel agency AND the name of the bus compay you used. The bus companies must be made to stop this practise of allowing people to board their buses in order to scam passengers.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
173 posts
1 review
3. Re: Beware of tout in Nevsehir bus station to Goreme

Hi all,

From the brochure which I took from the tout, the agency name is Rock Town Travel & Tourism Agency. There are 3 website links listed on the brochure, however only 1 is working.

http://www.turkeyculturetours.com/ (Only this website is working)

http://www.rocktowntravel.com/ (This website is not working)

http://www.turkeyalltour.com/ (This website is not working)

The address of this agency is ROCK TOWN TRAVEL AGENCY ADNAN MENDRES TERMINALI, NO:2 , NEVSEHIR, TURKEY

The bus I took from Pammukale to Goreme is Nevsehir Seyahat and I paid 50TL for the bus ticket. The website on the bus ticket listed is

http://www.nevsehirlilerseyahat.com.tr

Bus companies should step in and assist their customer (especially tourists and foreigners since they do not speak their native language) when a tout comes in and tries to push their way to unsuspecting customer. The bus steward from Nevsehir Seyahat did not do anything to assist or step in to put a stop to the tout.

Goreme is a region where travellers from round the world would want to visit and I hope such unpleasant incidents would be stopped by the Turkish Govt or official Turkish Government Bureau governing transport or tourism.

Please do not let such unpleasant incidents spoilt or cancel your trip to Goreme or Turkey. I took it as a lesson, laughed it off and treated this as a travel experience which I shared with other travellers along the way when I found out they are heading to Goreme.

Turkey is such a amazing country and majority of Turkish people are so nice, helpful and friendly to travellers and I highly recommend visiting Turkey & Goreme to all!

rgds

voxz

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
8,237 posts
52 reviews
4. Re: Beware of tout in Nevsehir bus station to Goreme

Thanks for the additional info, Vox.

Here's a similar complaint about the guy pressurising passengers on the bus - tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297980-i4564-k5…

Time this was stamped out.

Johannesburg, South...
1 post
1 review
5. Re: Beware of tout in Nevsehir bus station to Goreme

I had a very different experience with Rock Town Travel Agency . Although I did not book any tours with them they went out of their way to assist me . I was also told to get off at Nevsehir bus station and take an alternative bus to Goreme. I must agree with the rest that this seems to be a business ploy to get you to their offices so that they can “actively” market their services to you . However I did not them up on any of the offerings which they pushed . My interaction with them was around a pair of spectacles that my wife left on the Bus . A gentleman by the name of Gokhan went out of his way to assist . He took our details down , contact the BUS company , made arrangements to collect them and even arranged for them to be dropped off at the Hotel . Thanks Gokhan for this !!! You are the best !!!

6. Re: Beware of tout in Nevsehir bus station to Goreme

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, December 14, 2013