We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Goreme Hiking

Which Goreme hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Goreme Hiking

Dear Fellow Travellers,

I am planning for two days and one night stay in Goreme region , flying in from Izmir and flying out to Istanbul. Because I have just two days time that includes travel to and from Airport, I am wondering what's the best hiking trail I can choose ? ( possibly day 2 after balloon ride).

Since I am a bit pushed for time I wouldnt be able to many walking trails. My question is

1. Which is the best trail in terms of scenery and photography but that's not too far off? I am a keen walker/hiker so don't mind longer hikers.

2. How's the weather? Do I need to get my walking gear, navigation etc? I prefer not to as It's the only hiking region I'll be visiting in Turkey. If you feel otherwise do advise.

3. Can I get hold of any hiking trail maps online?

Thanks.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
319 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Goreme Hiking

Hi Wandering,

I was looking for the same info for our upcoming trip and came across a really good post under a different topic, so I'll put a link here in case you didn't see it. I'm not sure where in the thread the link will take you, so look for Travelmake's post from June 29. There is excellent info about hiking the Ihlara Valley and Rose Valley towards the bottom of the post.

tripadvisor.com/…34274050

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Goreme Hiking

Hi mnmsb,

Thank you for a very timely reply. I had look at the details from the link, just a basic idea of what I was looking for. I have printed off the maps too.

Cheers

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,684 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Goreme Hiking

As you have found there is not too much published info available but most hotels will offer you advice and maps of different routes, difficulty, etc.

The only thing you need is footwear with a really good gripping tread as it is very slidy on the sandstone.

You could plan routes to take in Goreme Open Air Museum, Pasabag and Rose/ Red valleys , climb Cauvisn and Uchisar castles.

You may want to consider Ilhara valley but need transport there and back, so it might be a bit of a push with your schedule.

There are some walking tours available, too, if you wanted to spend a few hours with a guide to give you some more info on the area.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,684 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Goreme Hiking

Weather - depends when you are visiting??

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Goreme Hiking

Here's a map of some of the paths around Goreme - http://www.atamanhotel.com/walkingmap.html - if you use it in combination with Google Earth, you can make out what's going on. It's not a huge area, so being an experienced hiker, you should have no problems, I reckon.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Goreme Hiking

Dear Heid and David,

Thanks folks for all the help. I am actually in Turkiye and I tell you it's damn hot. Was 37 degrees C today, drank about 8-10L of fluids all day and couldn't squeeze a drop of wee. Presently in Pamukkale, will go to Goreme soon.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Have got myself a copy of the said map. Also, carrying a pair of good hiking shoes and a compass, so should be okay. As a principle, I just don't fancy shelling out too much money for undeserved service, especially in tourist infested regions, so want to do the trails without a guide.

Ilhara seems good, depends on the time available and the local transport. Let's see.

Cheers

7. Re: Goreme Hiking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 am, October 05, 2012