We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CEM Tours - Mnt Nemrut - AVOID Very Unprofessional

Istanbul, Turkey
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
CEM Tours - Mnt Nemrut - AVOID Very Unprofessional

Two words, unprofessional and short term thinking. Many of the negative comments if not all are true that I have read. I recently took a tour and although the trip up the mountain is great and I am glad I made the journey.

I got extremely frustrated with the lack of transparency in communication and always got the sense that the money was the only thing on the owners mind, that and taking breaks to drink tea and smoke cigarettes.

I was informed it was the only place to get this tour, and thought it was the other tour company that does these tours, as I confirmed this with him. Until it was all said and done did I realize it was not. I was given a substantial discount on the tour, as the owner indicated he already received enough people that he could reduce the price. My tour would be the same, but as the days developed.. it was not. I stayed in what I would consider an unsafe hotel for a single female completely separate of the group. A big first strike. In addition, a request was made by one of the group members to visit a site in the area that was not listed on the itinerary. The owner asked some of the group, and then proceeded to do what he wanted anyway..he also tried charging an exuberant amount of money for a very small detour with no entry fee to the individuals who wanted to attend. We all went and not advised even when asked where we were going. Again , the lack of communication was huge, and as the time passed, the less and less he seemed to care, the more and more unprofessional he seemed to get.

In addition the information provided was minimal, so the actual tour guide portion could have been provided by summaries in guidebooks. I think there is a reason there are few reviews on this organization, most people opt for the other company in the area who offer this same tour for a similar price. I would not be surprised is he upsets a client who actually takes more serious action against the company. It would not take a lot to change the overall quality of the tour, but the owner is so focused on the bottom line of today and not thinking ahead for tomorrow... hence the low numbers in the tour of 7 including myself which was last minute and only because of the price slash. I should have taken that as a sign.

Like I said, short term thinking and this will eventually result in closing the doors. I would avoid this tour company no matter, the money is well spent but o with the rival company in town. I would not recommend this organization...

Nomad Travel
Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Tourmania
Horseback Riding Tours, Cultural Tours, Balloon Rides, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Urgup, Turkey
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: CEM Tours - Mnt Nemrut - AVOID Very Unprofessional

This is all because of the lack of competition in this manner of a tour in Cappadocia. Most companies would offer you a Nemrut tour but only a private one. No one's willing to risk taking a small group of people and losing money and considering how few people want to join such a tour, the companies are right at what they do.

Also Nemrut area wouldn't offer you many high class amenities, it is still to develop.

Still, more comments needed on the matter from first hand experiencers before the execution :)

Mentioned in this post
Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
7,094 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: CEM Tours - Mnt Nemrut - AVOID Very Unprofessional

Unfortunately, there have been numerous complaints here about Cem Tours.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297980-i4564-k3…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297980-i4564-k2…

Urgup, Turkey
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: CEM Tours - Mnt Nemrut - AVOID Very Unprofessional

-sigh-

Well, as I have said unfortunately there is no competition in this area so they do as they will. Even if there were others willing to arrange the same tour, they wouldn't be able to beat their prices with a good itinerary and good class hotels with comfortable vans.

Everything comes with a price and I know very well that some bus drivers would not turn the A/C off and open the windows to cut from expenses to make up for their poor income. When things like this mound up then there you go, a hell of a tour!..

At the end of the day, when I say I do Nemrut tour for 225 Euro per person and this guy comes up and says I can do it for 120 Euros per head, then most would choose him.

So, the best advice is to do a "private" Nemrut tour or just do it yourself. I know it's not much, but it's the best I can give.

Edited: 12:11 pm, May 10, 2011
Istanbul, Turkey
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: CEM Tours - Mnt Nemrut - AVOID Very Unprofessional

I completely agree with HonournGlory. I worked 2 summers in Cappadocia in a travel agency so I have some understanding of the tourism there. Going to Mt Nemrut is not cheap but tourists want to go cheap. therefore you get what you pay for.

Turkey is not the bargain basement it used to be. If you go cheap then you are going to feel it in your backside and everywhere else!

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Level Contributor
5,557 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: CEM Tours - Mnt Nemrut - AVOID Very Unprofessional

The tour has to make money for the operator. Of course. But if a tour (day tour or O/N tour) brings people to crummy places to eat or low-end accommodations or has guides with limited English, then prices ought to reflect that. Even the day tours in Cappadocia have shifted, re: crummy food at the lunch stop. Lunch used to be great on Cappadocia days tours. (sigh) Now you're lucky to get a mediocre meal.

The notion of Nemrut on one's own has a lot of appeal. Sure gas is expensive, but that's true all over. Hire a car, get a map, a good guide book, and take off. The food in Urfa is worth the drive. The hike up Nemrut isn't a hike per se, it's a 30 minute climb up a hill. A few rocky parts, some stones, nothing of any consequence. What you see on top is pretty great, tho. But you sure don't need to see it at sunrise, by any stretch of the imagination. There is so much to see and explore in the SE area of Turkey. I'd hire and car and do it on your own. What an amazing and fun adventure that would be - note to self. =)

Edited: 5:28 pm, July 04, 2011
Mentioned in this post
urgup
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: CEM Tours - Mnt Nemrut - AVOID Very Unprofessional

Cost per person for a nemrut tour is between 120 to 160 euros ( average sales price of 3 days/2 nights tour is 140euros)

assuming you are 2 traveller and want to do the tour on your own, do you know how much it will cost.

rental car = 100.-EUR (cheapest car for 3 days)

gasoline = 200.-EUR (calculated for the tour to nemrut, Urfa & harran and return)

basically you pay more than the tour cost only for gasoline and car.

plus you will need to pay for the services below

- accommodation

- food

- entrance fees

- guidance

do not think of what you will get

do calculate the expenses for this tour

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,557 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: CEM Tours - Mnt Nemrut - AVOID Very Unprofessional

What took so long? A few have been waiting for the not-so-subtle reply(s) to be posted, typical of this forum.

Luckily, most travellers can read between the lines. =)

Edited: 10:01 pm, July 05, 2011
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: CEM Tours - Mnt Nemrut - AVOID Very Unprofessional

To add to this. We went to the CEM tour office in Goreme to arrange a tour, as we have done all the other tours. The owner I think, his name is Zeynal told us he can take us to a tour around the areas we didn't see including a walk in Soanali and charge 100 TL each (i was with my gf).

It was one of the most disappointing tours we have ever done. He is obviously not a tour guide, besides not having any qualifications or official documents, he does not know anything of the area and did not say a single informative thing. He just drove us there and told us to walk while he stayed in the restaurant. We were very very disappointed.

I urge all travels to be very cautious when dealing with this business/person(so called travel guide). We saw another group who somehow managed to get on a tour guide with a much more informed (and probably qualified) travel guide, unfortunately we do not know where they got their trip from.

London
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: CEM Tours - Mnt Nemrut - AVOID Very Unprofessional

I stayed at Cem tours Hotel, and did not know about this feedback on trip adviser...if I had I certainly would not have trusted Cem Tours Manager Zeynal to send my suitcase to my hotel in Istanbul while I went to Cannakkale and Gallipoli. My suitcase had 4 valuable kilims and carpets in it.. when.I read about Cem Tours on this website a few days later I got really worried, but it was unnecessary, my instinct had been right to trust him because my suitcase arrived right on time, and it cost more than I had given him but he did not ask for payment for the service of sending it or the extra lira.

I went on the Sognali Tour with Zeynal and thought it was the best tour I did in Capadoccia...he did not talk a lot and I liked that, some guides talk so much it is exhausting concentrating for hours on their broken english,....he did not take us to see 'demonstrations' in factories where there was pressure to buy... yes he could have been a bit more informative, but the things we saw were fantastic, the Hidden Church, the Dome church, and the Buckle church, the underground city that is closed for excavation but he got us in with a really informed and passionate guide who I think is one of the people in charge of the excavation...that underground tour was so much better than the one on the green tour with a different guide..

Cem Tours stopped to show us a cold storage facility dug into the side of a mountain, there are many as it is a traditional method of storing food, he explained the system ...there was never any sense of hurry to go, so we were able to spend time with the women sorting and packing a mountain of potatoes, they were very interested in us and didn't mind us filming or photograping them, they were so cheerful in their earth workplace, laughing and smiling with us, that experience was an unexpected highlight.

the meal at the restaurant by the water was the best i had in Turkey, the beef was sizzling on the hotplate there was salad and chillli and yogurt the bread was warm and delicious...

I have read all there is on trip Advisor as I am thinking of going back there to go on the Nemrut tour. ...and am really disappointed to read all the negative comments, thank goodness there are some positive ones too!!

I know Zeynal is from Nemrut, and he is considered an outsider in Goreme. Maybe some of the reports on Trip Adviser were written by his competition who resent him taking tourists away from Goreme. I think perhaps people's expectations of accommodation are in keeping with their 'first' world rather than what is available in Eastern Turkey, I want to go there because I have been told it is the most authentically 'Turkish' part of Turkey, the least influenced by our Western culture, so why would we expect the same sterile standards as we are accustomed to here in our world?

I have nothing bad to report about Cem Tours, for me they were a no pressure organisation, they seemed sincere, the breakfast was consisitently good... maybe the bathroom could have been a bit cleaner but when you pay £10 a night for accommodation you know its not going to be the Ritz :o)

Mentioned in this post
London
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: CEM Tours - Mnt Nemrut - AVOID Very Unprofessional

by the way, I did the Sognali tour in a comfortable car, I had no problem with the driver's ability and he did not stop for cigarette breaks ...it was good he didn't come with us on the walk, because it meant we could take our time, there was no chance of getting lost cos there was one path that lead to the village ....its confusing that some people report a bad experience with the bus to Mt Nemrut and others say it was a 2010 Mercedes...guess I have to do the tour and find out for myself!