We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The whirling Dervishes

Delhi
Level Contributor
310 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
The whirling Dervishes

Hi all...we are very keen to watch the whirling dervishes and there are places in Istanbul to see them perform but i read that there is r sema ceremonies every night at Sarihan Caravanserai. It it more authentic than the one at the Mevlava in Istanbul & is the setting beautiful ?

Again any insights would be wonderful.

Travelbug Delhi

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,750 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The whirling Dervishes

Hello again! We went to the Sema ceremony at Sarihan Caravanserai back in April, and thought it was really mystical and awesome, and the setting beautiful. We booked it through the Kelebek - which included the minibus there and back.

I will bump up my trip report for you - I describe the experience in the 12th instalment on page 4.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,922 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The whirling Dervishes

We visited same Dervish ceremony as Attagul and totally agree with her, very lovely, serene ceremony.

I seem to remember that one of the caravaneseries in the area was closing for renovation, but both were reported as very good.

We would certainly recommend it - very beautiful setting and show - not "touristy, tacky."

Villa Kirmizi Lale...
Destination Expert
for Kalkan
Level Contributor
2,401 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The whirling Dervishes

Agree with both the above posters - not touristy or tacky - genuine caravanserai on the silk road - mystical, strange and awesome - but my teenage kids did think it was boring..!! ;-))

Cheers!

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,922 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The whirling Dervishes

Oh dear FAED, my teenager enjoyed it... but then Turkey does strange things to her... makes her almost human!!!

Perrysburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The whirling Dervishes

We went to the same ceremony a week ago and thought it was lovely. It's a very serious religious ceremony and not a "show," so no photos or clapping allowed. A truly calming and peaceful evening.

Gold Canyon, Arizona
Level Contributor
185 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The whirling Dervishes

Hi Travelbug Delhi: I attended both shows during two trips to Turkey last year. Content was similar at both, but I would say that the ceremony at the ancient Caravanserai seemed more "mystical" due to the Caravanserai building in which it was held (Istanbul performance was held at the old rail station).

As commented by others(above), some may find the dervishes "boring." Not so if you learn a little of their background. And I must say that the wonderful music is as "mystical" as the dervishes themselves! I thoroughly enjoyed both productions.

Many folks in the audience were taking photos without flash (turning the flash off on their cameras). I later saw some of the photos--they were very "atmospheric" and fascinating! I'm not recommending that you take photos--just telling you that many in the audience do.

And one last thing--absolute silence is expected during the performances.

Enjoy your trip and enjoy the Whirling Dervishes!

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,750 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The whirling Dervishes

Many travellers say they want to see the Sema ceremony in Konya but given that this took place in the city's basketball court I imagined that the ceremony at Sarihan Caravanserai must be as close as one could get to the perfect surroundings for the ceremony. However I have just read in Tom Brosnahan's website www.turkeytravelplanner.com that Konya now has a new Mevlana Cultural Centre that has the world's largest and most modern whirling dervish hall and fitting home for the Sema ceremony.

Delhi
Level Contributor
310 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The whirling Dervishes

Thanks so much everyone....i'm fascinated by the sema ceremony & i'llk definitely watch the one at the caravanserai. We saw one in Cairo but that was more showy. I'm looking forward to this one & our trip. I'll let u know how the experience was.

Thanks again

usa
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The whirling Dervishes

ATTAGUL,

I would like for you to send me the report you had on the whirling dervishes. I appreciate you advise. Also, what do you know about the S.O.S. CAVE pension

We are a family of five and would like something special, but clean and affordable.

There are so many choices.

THANK YOU

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,855 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The whirling Dervishes

bump up for ironman224..about the Whirling Dervish ceremony..