We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Uchisar - Cappadocia

Which Goreme hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
berkshire
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Uchisar - Cappadocia

Want to spend a week in Cappadocia at the beginning of September. We would be travelling from Ankara, then heading to Konya afterwards.

Can anyone advise a decent cave/boutique hotel for a couple over 50. Does anyone have any experience of Maison Cappadocie?

What is the best way to go to Konya from Uchisar please?

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,726 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Uchisar - Cappadocia

I don't recall anyone on the forum staying there but there are some reviews which are all good. No photos but maybe they have a website.

It seems that there are like apartments rather than hotel rooms which would be good if you are willing to pay for the extra space.

I would suggest, however, that although beautiful, you may find Uchisar a little limited in terms of restaurants, shops, etc for an evening stroll unless you are hiring a car. This would also be a problem if you are self catering and need easy access to buy groceries.

From my experience, you will be out and about all day touring the area, it is only in the evening that the location of the hotel is important, as that is the only time you will be there!

My suggestion would be to stay in Goreme where you are still surrounded by and living among the fairy chimneys but with a little more restaurants, shops etc.

Goreme is a charming village, and apart from one main street catering to tourism, there is a very countrified traditional way of life. I would wholeheartedly recommend Kelebek Hotel and Pension where I stayed in July.

I don't know much about transport to Konya, I think there are buses but I'm not familiar with them. You could contact Rock Valley Travel or Turkish Heritage Travel who would be happy to sort out travel and also any tours etc you might want.

berkshire
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Uchisar - Cappadocia

Thank you Heidotheroad,

I thought about Urgup and Goreme - found them a bit touristy. Uchisar looked a bit off the road. You are right about not having many restaurants and so. But I thought we could have dinner in Nevsehir-Urgup-Goreme and come back to the hotel just to sleep.

I would appreciate any advice on any good restaurants in the region though.

I found out that a bus company called Nevsehirliler runs twice-daily trips to Konya from Nevsehir and the trip is three hours.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,563 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Uchisar - Cappadocia

I agree with all that Heidotheroad has said about Uchisar maybe being a bit isolated. Uchisar is certainly less "touristy" than Urgup or Goreme - but in the end of the day that means that you do not have the choice of restaurants etc. (and read her description of Goreme in her trip report - it is really a very nice place!)

You do not want to consider Nevsehir as a place to go to find restaurants - although there is apparently an "old town" mainly it is a large modern city (its name means "New City") and besides is quite a distance away. If you are hiring a car, then you would have no problem in going to Urgup or Goreme to eat in the evening - in Goreme I would wholeheartedly recommend Alaturca - but if you are reliant on public transport by dolmus, then I imagine at least you would have to taxi back.

Have a great time in Cappadocia wherever you decide - it is an amazing place!

berkshire
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Uchisar - Cappadocia

Hi Attagul

We decided to stay in in Les Maisons de Cappadoce. We are after simple local food and wine, not dressy places, no clubbing... We are a photographer and writer who looks for sightseeing, not entertainment. So, Uchisar will do nicely.

Thanks both of you for your kind commentsI will definitely eat in Allaturca in Goreme Kubilay's place (Elai) in Uchisar also got pretty good reviews. I will continue my search. Renting a 4x4 is another option to see as much as possible, but then it stops you from drinking in the evenings - so taxi then!

berkshire
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Uchisar - Cappadocia

We have just come back from Cappadocia.

We stayed at Jacques Avizou's place (Maison de Cappadoce) in Uchisar, which was the perfect choice for us.

We took a Nevsehirliler coach from Ankara to Nevsehir which continued onto Uchisar and the co-owner Sevim took us and our luggage to our flat.

The place was exactly what we wanted, so quiet and marvellously picturesque. Jacques and Sevim did their best to accommodate us - place was pristine, at the highest standard and very tastefully decorated. No surprise considering that it was decorated by an architect.

We had a lovely time there.

Thanks a lot to all for your kind help.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,563 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Uchisar - Cappadocia

Thanks for coming back and reporting on your trip. Glad you had a nice time! Did you put a review of your hotel on the TA hotel reviews - always useful for future travellers to help them plan.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,726 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Uchisar - Cappadocia

So glad you enjoyed your trip! Would love to hear more about it and a review of the hotel would be great as none of have stayed their before.

Thanks for coming back to the forum and letting us know how it went - always good to get some more feed back.

berkshire
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Uchisar - Cappadocia

Hello again,

Thanks for the advice and yes, I intend to write a review as soon as I have a spare moment. I will also give detailed info about traveling there to (all the info I previously got was to fly there)

Will keep you posted on that

Best

California
Level Contributor
21 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Uchisar - Cappadocia

Hi,fairyland50,

I am most interested in hearing whether you went to Konya, and, if so, what you did and what you thought about it. Did you see the recent excavations?

The only thing we found of interest there was the Whirling Dervish museum - it was kind of spooky and we didn't actually see any Whirling Dervish'.

Thanks.

hapytraveler10

berkshire
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Uchisar - Cappadocia

hello hapytraveler

Yes, I have been to Konya and spent good time in there. I will write reviews of my experiences both in Konya and Cappadocia once I am back to UK - unfortunately had to travel back to Turkey for my dad's operation.