We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Goreme or Urgup?

Which Goreme hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Zealand
Level Contributor
349 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Goreme or Urgup?

Hello,

My husband and I are planning a trip to Turkey May/June next year. We will have 4 full days in Cappadocia.

I know this question has been asked many times before and I've read the answers but I'm still confused. We prefer a less touristy destination as many others also do. I can't figure out which of these places has more of a local feel. Some people say Urgup every time, then others will say it is more like a town and Goreme is smaller and more quant with all the locals getting on with there daily lives.

We would like to stay in a proper Cave Hotel and do like good food. Also the Winery has its appeal. Urgup seems to win on that front. On the other hand when you look at photos of Goreme the Hotels seem to be surrounded by the beautiful landscape that everyone goes to Cappadocia to see.

So come on guys, which is it? Thoughts please.

1. Re: Goreme or Urgup?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:33 pm, July 20, 2008
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
1,563 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Goreme or Urgup?

I have stayed in both and its a difficult question as they both have a separate feel and both have splendid rock backdrops but different rock formations. I think Urgup appealed as craftshops and boutiques felt quainter; also an old turkish bath in town appealed. I climbed to the beautiful museum on a hill and found loads of facts about the new conservation project to the rock scape in Urgup (I think Austrian consortium was sponsoring this in 2006?). I would say Urgup felt slightly more upmarket with a lot of rich businesses moving in. In Goreme it felt more casual and I think more of a choice of economy or finer restaurants, I'd say the bars there were a little more touristy but also a very nice atmosphere, There is a turkish music bar in the middle of the main street Also Goreme town is well placed for walking to the Goreme Open Air Museum but you can also walk into the next town from there and through the fairy chimmneys in the valley. The cave hotels are generally more expensive than any normal ones in either of these towns.Goreme is well served by buses towards Uchisar, Nevsiher or in other directions Avanos, Urgup, Konya. They even have some daily tours going to Underground City and Pigeon Valley areas so its fairly easy to get around. Also worth visiting is Avanos on the famous Kizilirmak river, to see the famous potteries and nice old buildings around.The most important feature of the region is the manufacture of clay jugs, biscuits, and jars. The jar makers continuing since the Hittites period are still practising their traditions. At the archeological diggings made in the Zank Mound near the town Sarilar of Avanos there was discovered the ruins belonging to the different culturs from the Old Bronze Age up until the Late Roman Period. Sarihan which is 5 km far away from Avanos is one of the most beautiful examples of the classical Seljuk architecture. I hope you enjoyi Cappadocia.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Goreme or Urgup?

my wife and I spent 2 weeks in Turkey last Sept, 3 days in Cappadokia.

We stayed in a cave suite in actually a small village outside of Urgup. It was delightful, and Sullyman (the owner) can arrange anything and everything for you if you'd like. Their hotel, the Gamirazu Cave Hotel, was just plain great. The only thing is that the actual village it is in, I forget the name, has NO tourist amenities. Will you have a car or a driver? Sullyman's guy, Morist, will drive you around in a rental car for $35 per day. Perfect Enlish, and could drive around Turkey blindfoled. Visit the Gamirasu website. Excellent meals served there, but again, it's in a non-tourist village just 5 miles from Urgup.

My take on staying in Goreme is that there will be things to do and walk to in the evenings. It's more tourist oriented than Urgup.

All of Cappadokia was awesome. DON"T skip the hot air ballon ride!! It's worth it . . a once in a lifetime experience

New Zealand
Level Contributor
349 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Goreme or Urgup?

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your helpful advice. MP Bound, I have considered Gamirazu Cave Hotel. The reviews are fantastic and when I emailed them they were also fantastic. I do however have reservations about staying there as I wonder if we would feel stuck there in the evenings and totally reliant on them for everything. I thought there prices for accommodation and tours seemed quite high compared to other places. I think we would prefer to have the choice of eating places within walking distance. I haven't completely ruled them out though. We won't be hiring a car while we are in Cappadocia. Maybe a car and driver for somee of the time. Cheers

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Goreme or Urgup?

You're right. Once you're back at the Gamirazu in the evening, there's just the hotel and totally tourist free village. If you want to walk in the evenings and choose a dinner place, the Gamirazu won't work for you. My wife and I pack our traveling days full, and are usually content at the end of ther day to just relax, eat well and sleep, and start again early the next morning, so it worked well for us. But the evening meals at the gamirasu were excellent.

In any case, I'd suggest you not hesitate to have Sullyman at the Gamirasu help you with any questions or travel arrangements as he was exceptionally helpfull for us for other plans aside from our hotel stay in Cappadokia (car rentals, balloon rides, etc.)

You will LOVE Cappadokia!

6. Re: Goreme or Urgup?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:21 pm, October 03, 2009