We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travelling alone

Baltimore
4 posts
Save Topic
travelling alone

I will be in Istanbul for a conference from 9/12 to 9/16. After that, I hope to take 4 or 5 days for myself. I will be by myself (50 yrs. woman), so I want to be careful as an inexperienced traveller. I love the idea of the cave houses, and exploring nearby wonders, but is this a good idea in today's political climate? I also don't want to speed through any one area--I'd rather take it slower and enjoy the artwork, landscape and people. THanks in advance.

Gocek, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: travelling alone

You might consider just staying in Istanbul if you're taking 4/5 days, there's so much to see there.

Otherwise you can get a Pegasus Airlines flight from the new Sabiha Gökçen airport in Istanbul to Nevsehir to tour around Cappodocia - check this site out - http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/index.html

there's plenty of information there, including an article on safety for women. It's also worth buying a copy of the Lonely Planet guide for Turkey.

Basically, as you'll see from other posts on this site, the current Middle East situation will make no difference to the polite, friendly treatment you'll get from almost everyone in Turkey (which, by the way, is visited by many Israeli tourists) and provided you take the same precautions as you would do in your home town, there's no problem as a single woman.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travelling alone

Have you considered looking into a tour? I went on a whistle stop tour of Turkey, which although was largely for people in their 20s and 30s, also had a range of ages.

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travelling alone

Hi Hollicoop: I have been traveling to Turkey for the past 14 years both alone and with my family. I have never had a problem anywhere. The people are always welcoming and friendly. The current situation does not really affect traveling in Turkey. I for one always feel very safe there. I am now 60 years old and I never tire of having an adventure in Turkey. I suggest 3 days in Istanbul, you can see the high points and then going down to Cappadocia for 2 days. Stay at a real cave hotel, our family likes Gamirasu gamirasu.com, then you can see all the wonderful things: cave churches, underground city, Rose Valley, take a balloon ride, you'll never forget it. Eat at A La Turca in Goreme. Happy Travel, LemonLady

Mystic, Connecticut
Level Contributor
530 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travelling alone

Cappadocia is safer than London, even for a 50yr woman traveler. If you have the money about-$140 a day- hire a guide with van and you can travel in style, at your speed. If you want to spend less money go on a bus tour.Even less money would be a sel guided tour via scooter/motorbike

5. Re: travelling alone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, August 13, 2009