We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 Days in Turkey! Need help on the Cappadocia leg, tour/no?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
8 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
10 Days in Turkey! Need help on the Cappadocia leg, tour/no?

Hi TA,

I'm flying into Istanbul on a Sunday at 2 PM and leaving 10 days later at 7 PM middle of March.

It will be my partner's and my first trip to this beautiful country, and I don't think we'll do it justice if we only stay in Istanbul.

We'd like to head over to Cappadocia, but have no idea how long to spend there. From reading the forum topics, I'm thinking 3 days and 7 days in Istanbul.

My question then is.. should I be booking a tour from Istanbul, one that includes a flight to and from, with a whole tour program, etc. like these:

www.goreme.com/private-cappadocia-tours.php

or

http://truebluetour.com/popular.aspx

OR

booking everything individually? Is three days enough and where's the best place to book a cheap flight? will it be easy getting to the hotel from the airport? I'm thinking of Kelebek Special Cave hotel.

Which option will be a better, more cost-effective one, TA? We won't be renting a car, so I'm sure if we don't sign up for a 3 day tour, we'll have to take a day tour when in Cappadocia?

Please give me your suggestions, on this leg of the tour, or in general! Thanks in advance.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
6,318 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 Days in Turkey! Need help on the Cappadocia leg, tour/no?

I loved the contrast between quiet Capp and busy Istanbul!

Kelebek is a great hotel, though there are many more lovely cave hotels. It is operated by the first tour company you have mentioned, Turkish Heritage Travel. (I haven't heard of True Blue).

I would just book flights, etc myself. if you are arriving at Ataturk, I would immediately book an onward flight withTHY on to Capp ( Kayseri or Nevsehir) - gets all the nasty flying over and done with, saves time and money going back and forth between the city and the airport, and no hassle getting back to city for your homeward flight.

You can pre-book a cheap shuttle from the airport to your hotel- either with your hotel or another local tour company. there are plenty posts on the forum about this.

It would be very expensive to take private tours everyday. Take a combination of group tours, hire a car or do some hikes and exploring on your own. Again take a look at recent forum posts for this.

Three full days in Capp, seven in Ist would be a good balance. Make sure you fly out of Capp late on the third day or early on the fourth. This will save you being restricted with tours, etc on your third day in Capp.

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 Days in Turkey! Need help on the Cappadocia leg, tour/no?

We stayed in Kebelek for three nights last August and it was wonderful. The staff provided the best service I think we have ever received at a hotel.

I would recommend the morning hot air balloon ride if it is in your budget. Its really a once in a lifetime experience. We did not do any tours because we had our own car from driving across the country, but there are several things you can easily do on your own. At Kebelek, they will drive you to the open air museum for you to explore then you can hike through the Red Valley or Rose Valley easily on your own and walk back.

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,439 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 Days in Turkey! Need help on the Cappadocia leg, tour/no?

I'd spend seven days in Istanbul and three days in Capadoccia. There is so much to see & do in both areas. Also, remember that Istanbul has the European side and the Asian side of the city, which is just a ferry ride away!

When you arrive in Capadoccia, you can have the hotel pick you up from the airport or reserve a shuttle.

Troy, New York
Level Contributor
1,399 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 Days in Turkey! Need help on the Cappadocia leg, tour/no?

4 in Cappadocia and 6 in Istanbul would be even better IMO. There's a lot lot to do, you get a good taste of Anataolia, the food,people,landscape,culture in Cappadocia.

I wuld do it myself, it's really easy to arrange things in Cappadocia,transport, accom,tours.

You could go through my page on Cappdocia, …wordpress.com/my-travels-2/…

You can even do a few places by public transport,like Zelve for example. Then there are hiking tours, caravanserai tours, so it's better if you plan it when you get there.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
8 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 Days in Turkey! Need help on the Cappadocia leg, tour/no?

Thank you for all your suggestions, they have been extremely helpful!

We'll be doing 7/3 in Cappadocia.

Staying in Kelebek, most likely! I pulled the trigger and just decided to book everything ourselves, there's airport transfers from Kayseri right to the hotel, so no worries at all!

Thank you all!

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
6,318 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 Days in Turkey! Need help on the Cappadocia leg, tour/no?

Agree 7/ 3 best ( unless you hate cities!) But that gives a good balance for each area, but make sure that is actually 3 FULL days in Capp- see my previous post - leave very late third night or very early fourth morning.

Booking everything is easy but just ask if you need any help. You should save some money, and more importantly can tailor everything to suit yourselves perfectly.

Orlando
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 Days in Turkey! Need help on the Cappadocia leg, tour/no?

Hello everyone ,

will leaving for turkey for my honeeymoon soon from March 2d arriving on the 3rd staying in turkey for 10 days as well, Want to got istanbul, cappadocia and Antalya( if possible) on 3000 budget. Already bought the tickets to get there from the us; we need just activities and hotels.

i know we want to do the ballon ride, the 2 hours horseback riding in Cappadocia, sofia hagia, blue mosque, princess Island; horse carriage tour, and cave hotel suite with the pool because my wife to be wear hijab. Any other ideas or suggestions?

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
6,318 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 10 Days in Turkey! Need help on the Cappadocia leg, tour/no?

You are travelling in two weeks and haven't done any planning or booked hotels, etc?

You need to get moving because late planning costs money and your budget isn't huge. 3000$ is a little more than 2000€, for ten nights, you are talking dollars, aren't you? Perhaps you would get a better idea if you switch to euros or lira. You could easily spend half your budget on hotels! unless you look for good, basic accommodation. There are plenty really nice cave hotels but on that budget you may have to forget the fancy suite with pool. Hotels are expensive in Istanbul, so get that sorted- look for money savers such as a free airport transfer which is sometimes offered by hotels when booking direct.

Domestic flights are usually cheapest when booked well in advance but have a look anyway. The other alternative is overnight bus, which would at least save the price of a hotel room on those nights. I'm not sure that squeezing in all three destinations is a good idea in ten days, and especially not if travelling by bus. You also have to factor in the cost and time for your trip back to your departure city.

By the time you add up your hotels, travel, daily foods etc, you may have to forgo expensive things like the balloon ride which would cost at least 100€ each, but I would not worry about that too much, you can still have a lovely time in Cappadocia.

Troy, New York
Level Contributor
1,399 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 10 Days in Turkey! Need help on the Cappadocia leg, tour/no?

See if Antalya interests you a lot, the best plces on thw Lycian coat are a few hours away from Antalya, Olympos,Cirali,Patara for example,nd it's early march,so the weather could be chilly and rainy.

Or maybe you could do a 2 day blue yacht cruise.

Or you could go to Pamukkale and Ephesus instead of Antalya.

And you can cut down on other expenses to save for the Balloon ride, highly recommended.

Edited: 10:17 am, February 17, 2014
LI
Level Contributor
82 posts
545 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 10 Days in Turkey! Need help on the Cappadocia leg, tour/no?

We are thinking of going this August. Which room would you suggest. Was there air conditioning Thank you