We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of Cappadocia tour guide

Bradfordwoods, PA
Level Contributor
43 posts
207 reviews
Save Topic
Cost of Cappadocia tour guide

We will be in Cappadocia for 2-3 days at the end of October. I've been emailing with a potential tour guide (recommended by a friend who has used them). They offer a private tour, including lunch, taxes & all admissions fees, for $350/day for 2 people. I've never used a private guide before and am wondering if that is a reasonable price. They do all the driving and send a pretty extensive itinerary. They also recommend 2 days of touring, so it's $700 before tips. Advice?

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,768 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost of Cappadocia tour guide

Perhaps if you told us the name of the company you are considering, it might be one we could recommend...or not.

it is difficult to comment on the value of your proposed tour as we do to know which tickets it included, what standard of lunch is included. Do you have a licensed guide and a driver? Do you pay their meals or is that included?

Maybe you should get quotes from some other reputable agencies for comparison. You could try Turkish Heritage Travel, Reliable Tour, Rock Valley, Argeus.

It is certainly not necessary to do 2 or even 1 day as private tours. You may be quite happy with some of the excellent small group day tours. The monetary saving could pay for another treat such as a balloon flight, lovely dinners or a Dervish ceremony in the evening.

Toronto
Level Contributor
401 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost of Cappadocia tour guide

Two years ago, we used Heritage (same owner as the Kelebek in Goreme & Butterfly Balloons & other properties). We got our balloon pilot as a driver/guide for 3 hours or so @ 80 Euros + tip for a drive to Kaymakli & back. A car rental would have been cheaper but we wouldn't have had a pleasant guide (and yes he was - Mustafa).

Ian

Edited: 4:20 pm, July 25, 2013
Chicago
Level Contributor
5,255 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost of Cappadocia tour guide

It would help a lot to know the itinerary, re: which destinations they suggest you see. Many places to visit and hike in Cappadocia, for example, have no entrance fee at all. Ihlara Valley & Rose Valley are two examples. Personally, I wouldn't spend $700 for two days of sight-seeing with a private guide. Way too expensive!

Bradfordwoods, PA
Level Contributor
43 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost of Cappadocia tour guide

The company is Argeus. They suggest the following:

Day 1: Ballon ride at dawn; then Dervent Valley, Zelve Open Air Museum, Pasabag's fairy chimneys, Avanos (including demonstration at a pottery shop...we don't really want to do shopping or demonstrations), Goreme Open Air museum, Uchisar Rock Castle. Includes lunch in Avanos

Day 2: Kaymakli, Ihlara Canyon, Steps of Anatolia to Belisirma Bridge, village of Selime, Agzikarahan. Includes lunch.

If we want to do only one day of guided touring, which places are best to see with a guide, and which can we do on our own? Is it sufficient to see Goreme Open Air Museum and not Zelve Open Air Museum?

Thanks so much for your insights.

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,255 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost of Cappadocia tour guide

The price Argeus is charging for two days of a private tour is nothing short of highway robbery, even with the high cost of gasoline(!). And in late October, the number of tourists shrinks considerably - unlike the busy summer season. I'm really glad you decided to check with the forum before moving ahead with these plans. As an alternative, contact Heritage Cappadocia Tours and see what they can offer. http://www.goreme.com/

Heritage does an excellent job, whether it's a regular day tour or a private tour. Day tours cost about US$50/day - and you'll go to many of the same sights/locations as the Argeus itinerary above. If you'd rather have a private tour, Heritage can and does offer that, as well. I have no doubt that you'll be very happy with your guide, as well as, the sights you'll see - and it sure won't cost US$350/day!

I hope you both have a fabulous time in Turkey and in Cappadocia! So much of what you'll see is simultaneously beautiful, unusual, and extraordinary.

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,255 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost of Cappadocia tour guide

Sorry - I forgot to mention that the balloon tour is what costs so much. Still, the very high price Argeus is charging sounds like you'd be taking a balloon tour both days. Heritage also offers a balloon tour: 160 euro = US$212 (for an hour) or 230 euro US$305 (for 90 minutes). I really like having a wonderful breakfast on the outdoor breakfast terrace of my hotel while watching all the colorful balloons in the air overhead.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,768 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cost of Cappadocia tour guide

I'm not sure why we talk in US$ for a country whose currency is the Lira, and for whom they are already quoting in € to try to help us travellers! Anyway, assuming I've done my conversion right , 700$ is around 520€ and comparing with other companies that price is not really high.

Two days private tour + balloon flight for two people- Turkish Heritage 800€, Reliable Tour 660€

As above but group tour, Turkish Heritage 520€, Reliable 440€

BUT, the big but is I would not accept the itinery offered by these companies for private tours. The whole idea of a private tour is to tailor the itinery to your needs.

With only two days,I would not visit Ilhara but would spend longer on hikes nearer Goreme where the scenery is more spectacular- Rose/ Red valley and around Cavusin. Nor would I visit Avanos, pretty town but you'll just endure a pottery demonstration and an opportunity to buy overly expensive pottery. Can't comment on Zelve, as much of it was closed during our visit a few years ago, and there was very little to see.

Either ask for the itinery to be adapted, or spend a little time exploring the small group tours of the companies recommended and put together a selection of those things that suit you best. There is no need to limit yourself to one company.

If you wish to cut the overall cost skip the expensive balloon tour, you can have a wonderful time without it As globe says, do get up early one day and enjoy watching the balloons fly over from the comfort of your hotel terrace.

Edited: 5:08 am, July 28, 2013
Bradfordwoods, PA
Level Contributor
43 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cost of Cappadocia tour guide

Wow I'm glad I checked! The price quoted for the tour did not include the balloon ride. That was going to be another 160 euro. I will investigate Heritage.

Bradfordwoods, PA
Level Contributor
43 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cost of Cappadocia tour guide

Just looked at the Heritage website. Price for private tours appears to be only a few dollars less than Argeus, not so much less that it would matter. When I say private, maybe I should have clarified that the tour will be just my husband and me. We don't want to be with a group.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,768 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cost of Cappadocia tour guide

iThe balloon tour would be approx 160€ each person, so that is 320 € for the two of you. If not included in Argeus quote, then they are indeed very expensive!

As well as Heritage, I would look at Reliable as I enjoyed our day with them very much and found we learned a lot from Serap, even though it was the end of our second visit. I am sure either of these companies would tailor their itineries to suit you.

I would still suggest skipping the private tour, certainly for two days, and use some of the excellent small group day tours, even half day tours, sunset walking tours, etc.