We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to choose hotel?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
29 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
How to choose hotel?

Hello!

My boyfriend and I are headed to Cappadocia for 3 days in July and are having a hard time deciding on a place to stay. We would like to keep it under $200/night. Generally, we prefer small, luxury-minded hotels, inns or B&Bs. As it will be hot, I think AC might be important (although I have read that the cave rooms stay cool, but even in really hot conditions?). I would love a place that has a beautiful terrace for breakfast and evening drinks (private would be amazing), and/or a pool if the afternoons are too hot to hike. Also, not sure if one town is better than another? I've read Goreme is touristy?

Finally, do we have to rent a car? We were thinking scooters... Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Hawaii
Level Contributor
393 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to choose hotel?

Aloha HauteTravelBlog,

I am seeking the same information as you. If you receive a PM on the subject will you share with the forum. I don't have a budget for hotel but I want to stay in nice accommodations and all of the reviews I have read are very mixed so do not know which one to choose either. Thanks so much.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,684 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to choose hotel?

Hawai, I'm surprised you are finding mixed reviews, there are so many fantastic ave hotels at all budgets.

I loved both the Kelebek and the Travellers Cave Hotel. If you look at their websites, you can even choose your individual rooms. Both have splendid terraces. Both are in Goreme - I don't consider it too touristy, the main street has restaurants, rental agencies, etc which you as a tourist will need but the rest of the village is very rural and quaint, and the scenery is outstanding. There are plenty previous threads to help you choose which town/ village - just type Goreme v Urgup in the Search box.

There are many more hotels with excellent reviews in the TA review section.

I did not feel any need for Ac in the cave rooms during our two July visits.

There are many ways to get around, it depends what you fancy - car hire, scooters, hiking, tours, horse riding, bicycles - or a combination of several of these. Depends what you fancy!

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,165 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to choose hotel?

In Goreme, I recommend KELEBEK HOTEL http://www.kelebekhotel.com/ and AYDINLI CAVE HOUSE HOTEL http://www.thecavehotel.com/cavehotel/. In Urgup, I recommend the YUNAK EVLERI http://www.yunak.com/en/index.html

Edited: 7:47 pm, June 04, 2013
Hawaii
Level Contributor
393 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to choose hotel?

Thank you all for your suggestions. What happens on so many of these reviews (which of course it is all subjective) is you read several great ratings then a few point out some not so great features. I guess we just have to discern. I have narrowed it down to Kelebek, Goreme Inn Hotel, Cappadocia Cave Suites Boutique Hotel and the one that looked the most amazing is the new hotel Kayakapi Premium Caves. I am leaning towards the new hotel - Kayakapi - I like the idea of having my own pool in my suite. Do you recommend two or three nights for this area? Also should I get a rental car, I plan to arrive and depart from Keyseri. I would like to hire a private guide rather than do a group guide - any recommendations? Thank you all once again for taking your time to offer your valuable input. It is much appreciated.

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,165 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to choose hotel?

HawaiiWang,

I would definitely stay three nights, rather than just two. There is so much to see and do that it's well worth spending the extra day!

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,684 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to choose hotel?

The tubs in the rooms at the new hotel certainly look stunning but for me, we would never have been in our room in Cappadocia long enough to use it! We were either off exploring, or just enjoying a drink on the terraces before we collapsed shattered in bed. I would not want to waste time in my room while visiting this area!

Uchisar has great scenery but is very small with few restaurants, etc for the evening.

You have to take an overview when reading reviews, there will always be someone who is not pleased, whether for genuine reasons, or just because they are the type of people who are never happy!

For a guide, we really enjoyed our time with Serap of Relaible Tour, we learned a lot from her and enjoyed talking to her. She had a lot of experience working in theatres before starting her own company a few years ago.

You can hire a car if you wish, but it's not a necessity, and you won't need it while you are with a guide who will provide transport.

definitely stay three nights!

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to choose hotel?

We spent four nights in mid June and you wouldn't want less than three. We would recommend the Kelebek and the restaurant in their sister hotel next door is special and not that pricey. Make sure you visit at least one underground city and do not miss the Selime monastery!!!!!!! If you need a good reliable tour organiser, there is an expat Aussie girl called Jodie Redding who works for a Goreme based travel company called Heritage and she is excellent - truly!!!!

The Uchisar sunset might be amazing but we agree that there is not much else up there - yo

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
173 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to choose hotel?

Aloha, everyone on this thread.... I'm having the same dilemma. Like HawaiiWang and Haute TravelBlog, we prefer to stay in nice, small, boutique places. The emphasis is on spacious rooms, great service, super comfy bed . No need for a fancy restaurant.... we prefer to only have b'fast at the place we stay. The rest of the meals we like to have out and about. With that in mind, I checked out Museum Hotel, Kayakapi Premium Caves and Dere Suites. All of them are in the US $250-400/night range and all of them seem to have many rooms, ie, they cater to groups. I really dislike that!!! So... I checked out Serinn House, also in Urgup, only 5 rooms, great reviews and, best of all, around US$150! Has anyone stayed here and /or do you have an opinion? If we stay in Urgup, will we be totally isolated? We like peace and quiet and are definitely not night people. Are there small simple restaurants around that town?

Thanks for everyone's help!

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,684 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to choose hotel?

Urgup is not isolated, it is the biggest town in the immediate area. Perhaps you are confusing it with Uchisar.

Some people like Urguo because they say it is a proper working town, but for me that is the reason I would not choose to stay there! It looks far too much like an ordinary town anywhere. The scenery is very special and unique in Cappadocia, and when I visit there, I want to be completely immersed in and surrounded by the caves and fairy chimneys - as I am in Goreme.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,684 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to choose hotel?

Yes, I think you are getting confused, you have some Urgup and some Uchisar in your mix!

Uchisar is very pretty but a little isolated unless you have a car. There would not be a good choose of restaurants on the doorstep for dinner.

As there are so many splendid, small hotels in the area to choose from, I see no reason to lumber yourself with a large one, if that is not your preference!