We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whirling Dervishes shows

Newton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
15 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Whirling Dervishes shows

I would like to take my grand-daughter to a Whirling Dervish show, what would the cost be and how can I purchase tickets?

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,497 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whirling Dervishes shows

There are a few venues in the area but the best by far is the nightly perfomance held at the Saruhan Kervansaray a beautifully restored old building and you have time to look around it before the perfomance starts too.

The cost is c.25€ including transport to and from the venue which is near Avanos.Around the villages several tour agencies sell tickets for this but you need to ask as some use other venues.

I don't know how old your granddaughter is but be aware this is not a 'show',i.e. not a jolly evenings entertainment.It is a perfomance of religious devotion,uplifting,beautiful and spiritually moving but not jolly dancing.

Many people go expecting ot see a nice colourful show as they have been misled as to what the evening is about.If she is very young she may find it either beyond her understanding or just plain boring after the first 5 minutes.There again perhaps she is older and knows something about the dervishes and Mevlana in which case I hope you both adore the evening at this lovely old kervansaray!

Newton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
15 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whirling Dervishes shows

Thank you, she is 16 and I think she will enjoy it.

Troy, New York
Level Contributor
1,351 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whirling Dervishes shows

Saruhan was brilliant, for 50 TL. A beautiful experience, plus the caravanserai is magnificently lit up at night.

4. Re: Whirling Dervishes shows

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, June 02, 2014