We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two deaths in Cappadocia balloon crash. May 2013

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Two deaths in Cappadocia balloon crash. May 2013

Two balloons collided on Monday and one of them fell too fast into the ground.

todayszaman.com/news-315940-hot-air-balloon-…

hurriyetdailynews.com/…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxeyxUTOxds

Considering that this was only the second fatal balloon accident ever in Cappadocia, it's still a relatively safe experience. Possibly too many taking off at the same time.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
39,934 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two deaths in Cappadocia balloon crash. May 2013

"it's still a relatively safe experience"

What is the basis for this conclusion if number of balloons are increasing year after year?

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two deaths in Cappadocia balloon crash. May 2013

Relative to other "adventure sports". Or suffering a road traffic accident.

However, you're right, the only 2 fatal accidents in Cappadocia have involved balloons colliding. The number of simultaneous flights is a concern.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,893 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two deaths in Cappadocia balloon crash. May 2013

this is very sad and a terrible tragedy..my deepest sympathies to the families of the dead and speedy recovery to those injured in this accident..

not that it changes anything but one report writes " An 85-year-old tourist died of a heart attack due to the crash,"

"while another tourist of the same origin, who was 77 years old, died at the hospital. Twenty-three other people who were injured in the crash were taken to nearby hospitals via ambulance."

Edited: 8:59 am, May 20, 2013
The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two deaths in Cappadocia balloon crash. May 2013

One tourist, E Wayne Ross, said he was aboard one of about 100 balloons which had taken off early on Monday morning.

"I didn't see the actual collision, as the balloon in question was higher than us," he told the BBC.

"I saw the balloon start descending very rapidly about 200m away in front of us. We were flying toward it and then flew right over it.

"It was quite obvious that there was a gash or tear in the balloon where air was escaping from."

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22597878

"about 100 balloons"!!

West Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
1,357 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two deaths in Cappadocia balloon crash. May 2013

The reports on the number of balloons operating in Cappadocia seem to vary so much. When I was there a couple of years or so ago I was told there were about 45 balloons and there was certainly nowhere near 100 in the sky during my trip.

Has the number really increased so significantly? Is there any reliable information on numbers?

Edited: 9:40 am, May 20, 2013
Fethiye, Turkey
Level Contributor
215 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Two deaths in Cappadocia balloon crash. May 2013

There are certainly more companies operating balloon flights over Cappadocia now than when I went there several years ago and even then some of them did not seem as professional as one would wish, starting from fixed sites rather than where the wind was favourable. Some hardly appeared to be able to get off the ground, which implies cost-cutting and a lack of experienced pilots.

Here's a report in Spanish. It has video of the accident. It states that there are some 20 companies now flying balloons in the area:

…elpais.com/politica/…1369059081_447417.html

Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Two deaths in Cappadocia balloon crash. May 2013

oh my god.. i already booked my air balloon tour in Cappadocia in June.

Do you think I should still do it? And which companies are more reliable and professional?

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Two deaths in Cappadocia balloon crash. May 2013

What an absolutely awful tragedy. My thoughts are with all those affected by this :(

Sel

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Two deaths in Cappadocia balloon crash. May 2013

First of all my deepest sympathies to the families of today's balloon accident.

I was in Goreme three weeks ago and took a balloon ride with "Butterfly Balloons". I found the experience as a first time ballooner perfectly safe and enjoyable. The company I was with keeps the numbers in its balloons down to a minimum, flys from a different position everyday, and only does flights early morning when the winds are best.

I can confirm that when riding in the balloon it does feel like the sky is full of hundreds of other balloons. However our pilot was extremely vigilant in using walkie talkies to communicate with the other pilots in the company. They regularly gave each other updates on the balloon paths of the other companies, quickly identifying any balloons in close proximity.

The number of other balloons in the sky is part of the experience, a beautiful sight. However it is also a potential hazard, an accident waiting to happen. In some instances the other balloons can fly very close, perhaps only 50m or so away in some rare cases. Their is no way of having a permanent flight path as the winds change everyday and the responsible companies assessed this carefully, before ascending with passengers. Bad weather and they cancel.

One thing that was clear is that a number of companies have upwards of 15-20 balloons each and there are many companies. The number of companies has grown exponentially in the past ten years, and is ever increasing. A lot of these companies also seem to start in the same patch of land, with lots of others, every day. Some also risk mid morning flights now due to surplus passengers wanting flights. This is very risky as the winds are not great at this time in the morning, and hence a greater chance of landing badly. These same companies are well known for cramping upwards of 30 people in one balloon.

I would seriously recommend that any people wanting to take a balloon ride in Cappadocia seriously review the proposed companies before shelling out money and risking your well being.

Mentioned in this post
Goreme
Goreme
Cappadocia, Turkey
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Two deaths in Cappadocia balloon crash. May 2013

See my post, I was there 3 weeks ago. Butterfly Balloons is my recommendation. It is slightly more than the other companies, but pays attention to the important safety issues. The pilot was very friendly and reassuring. We felt safe as first timers.