We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cappadocia -how tough is the walking hiking for a 66yr old?

london
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Cappadocia -how tough is the walking hiking for a 66yr old?

I am planning a holiday this May/June - 7 days in Goreme, 3 in Ilhara, then 7 in Egidir. Looking at the messages - re walks from Goreme - eg Red, Pigeon Vallies - I am wondering just how much up and down, hard on the knees walking is involved. I welcome suggestions for walks and places to see - and also advice.

Thank you Rosy

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cappadocia -how tough is the walking hiking for a 66yr old?

I've done 5 miles down the Ihlara Valley in 2hrs 15mins, it's a stroll in the park. (And I'm a heavy smoker, not really into exercise, almost 60!).

Edited: 8:08 pm, March 18, 2013
london
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cappadocia -how tough is the walking hiking for a 66yr old?

Thank you - yes I will pack hiking boots, but I do have osteoarthritic knees - so jst thought it worth asking.

Ideas of good walks from Goreme and Ihlara would be welcome - other travellers tales....

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,855 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cappadocia -how tough is the walking hiking for a 66yr old?

here is a map of the areas

check out the link below;

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297980-i4564-k4…

If I understand correctly from your post you will be spending 10 days in the Cappadocia area and 7 nights in Eğirdir...have you visited Turkey before or other places in Turkey or is this a first trip ?? just curious as to why you are spending so much time in these areas

london
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cappadocia -how tough is the walking hiking for a 66yr old?

Thanks for the links to maps - yes I have been looking at those - hence my questions.

Why so long? Because I am English and older - I do not want to 'do' a place, rather get to know it. Yes I have been to Turkey before - Istanbul in 1966, Olu Deniz and then travelling around the western coast area 3 or 4 times- I loved it so much - but 25 years ago. I think I would not like how that area has changed. So - thats why I thought the lakes would be less pressured, Cappadocia looks amazing.... But yes - that is also why I am looking for ideas.... Also planning to visit Antalya for a few days...

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,855 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cappadocia -how tough is the walking hiking for a 66yr old?

hi London Liz,

glad I asked :=)) yes many things have changed in Turkey over the past 25 yrs..I asked because I thought it could get a bit redundant

If you want to see a place were time has stood still in Turkey and experience what Turkey used to be like about 15 to 20 yrs ago before the influx of all-inclusive and package holidays of the last decade, then Cirali is the place for this..Cirali might remind you of Olu Deniz 25 yrs ago.

also I know many people who do stay in Eğirdir and also visit Cirali..not a far drive...and of course there are buses from Isparta to Antalya and then buses to Cirali .

Cirali is a great little village, nice clean beach and a mix of sand and pebbles, ruins of Olympos and the flames of "Chimaera" the world''s oldest and best-known natural "eternal flame".

No mass tourism or 5 star hotels. Just nice family own hotels and pansiyons. Small shops, quiet bars, restaurants, and no discos. It is more of a place for nature lovers and chilling out. It can be too quiet for some if you are looking for more in the way of and actiive nightlife..

Cirali is centrally located between Antalya and Kas and you can travel farily easily to visit nearby historical areas.

In Cirali there are ..boat trips, snorkelling, long walks, day trips to nearby Kemer or Kumluca to visit local markets, biking, and of course relaxation...not to mention the historical ruins to explore..plenty to keep ones self busy for a week or two.

also have a read here

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g311312-i9908-k6…

Cirali was mentioned recently in the "SUNDAY TİMES TRAVEL SECTİON" under an article called "Sail this way to my secret seaside - six more hush hush beaches."

The Sunday Times - Mar 02 01:05pm

Cirali was also mentioned in the Guardian Travel section..listing it as #5 of the top 10 crowd-free beaches, from hidden bays to pristine secluded coves..

It is not over crowded with 5 star hotels or loud bars etc. Just a nice place to have a quiet holiday

also if you enjoy walking or trekking

Cirali is the eastern end of the famous Lycian Way. Lycian Way is one of the best long distance trekking routes in the World. 500 kilometer route starts from Fethiye, ends at Antalya. The popular trekking routes passing through Cirali are Cirali – Ulupinar – Chimaera (Yanartaş), Cirali – Maden Koyu – Phaselis – Tekirova, Cirali – Olympos – Musa Dağı – Adrasan, Cirali – Beycik – Tahtalı Dağı. Most of the routes are marked with red and white signs.

there are some easy walking trails in Cirali and yes some are harder.

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cappadocia -how tough is the walking hiking for a 66yr old?

I thoroughly recommend visiting Asikli Hoyuk when you're in the Ihlara area - http://www.asiklihoyuk.org/AHeng.html

And Agzikarahan and Aksaray museum. I'm guessing you'll have a car?

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,855 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cappadocia -how tough is the walking hiking for a 66yr old?

just a thought; ıf you have the time you should visit the Soğanlı Valleys. Authentic hand-made linen dolls produced in Soganli and its surrounding have attracted the attention of the tourists visiting the area and this has already become an industry. also The major churches in the Soganli valley are Karabas, Yilanli, Kubbeli St. Barbara (Tahtali).

turkeytravelplanner.com/go/…

london
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cappadocia -how tough is the walking hiking for a 66yr old?

Thanks very much for the responses. Yes - suggestions still welcome - no car - public transport. Curiosity and a love of discovery - I like usually to spend longer than a quick organised tour allows - although I will go on one if that is the only sensible way to get somewhere. Currently planning to use Goreme as a base - since it looked to be central and hopefully with public transport connections - still with so much time there will want to explore surrounding areas.

Also ideas of trips from Egirdir will be great - maybe easier if I do a 2nd post for that?

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,855 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cappadocia -how tough is the walking hiking for a 66yr old?

hi Liz,

have a read here about Sagalassos and Eğirdir

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1453721-i22101-…

to get from Goreme to Eğirdir..you can take a bus from Goreme to Isparta...some might go via Konya ...and then catch another bus to Eğirdir..check out Isparta Petrol Turizm and Metro Turizm and NEVŞEHİRLİLER SEYAHAT for bus service...at the Goreme bus station they will give you more details on which buses and times..you can book your tickets 1 or 2 days before you leave..and the bus station of Goreme is in the center of the town so very easy to find.

turkeytravelplanner.com/go/Aegean/Egirdir/

and if you are planning to head down to the Antalya area you can easily catch another bus regularly from Isparta to Antalya bus station. ( otogar ) with Isparta Petrol Turizm

e-yasamrehberi.com/otobus_firmalari/isparta_…

london
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cappadocia -how tough is the walking hiking for a 66yr old?

Thanks - I just found that question and the responses - brill.

Having researched the buses - chose to fly from Cappadocia to Antalya (I no longer enjoy 10 hours on a bus!)

But will need a bus from Ilhara to Kayseri - (any ideas on that?) then Antalya to Egirdir by bus. So thanks very much for that link.