We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turkey/Cappadocia plans and advice needed

Singapore
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Turkey/Cappadocia plans and advice needed

Hello everyone,

I am heading to Greece/Turkey end of this month for 2+ weeks, coming in from the Greek Islands to Kusadasi. My iti looks like this for the Turkey portion:

Day 9 - Samos to Kusadasi by ferry (Samos Star in the morning). Stay in Selcuk for the night.

Day 10 - Visit Ephesus. Overnite train to Ankara.Bus to Izmir in the late afternoon. For train to Ankara, Catch either 1. overnight 9 Eylül Ekspresi (September 9th Express) at 850 pm or 2. Izmir Mavi Tren at 7 pm.

Day 11 - Arrive in Ankara at 10 am. Visit Mausoleum of Kemal Atatürk. Travel to Goreme by bus.4 hrs bus to Nevsehir followed by short trip (10 km) to Goreme.

Day 12 - Cappadocia. Göreme Open Air Museum in the morning. After lunch, visit Love Valley, Paşabagı and Dervent (Pink) Valley.\

Day 13 - Cappadocia. Full day excursion. Morning to underground cities (Derinkuyu), Ihlara Valley & Guzelyurt.

Day 14 - Cappadocia. Morning balloon ride. Avanos, Mustafapasa, Soganli valley, Uchisar town.

Day 15 - Flight from Nevsehir Airport to Aratuk (istanbul) at noon.

Day 16 - Istanbul

Day 17 - Istanbul

Day 18 - Depart Istanbul

I have a few questions if anyone can help:

1. Samos Star ferry from Samos to Kusadasi. Apparently this ferry leaves at 8 am and I am trying to book it but cannot find any online sites to do so. Can anyone advise if it is operating in early May and how may I book it in advance?

2. I am quite uncomfortable flying Sun Express from Izmir to Kayseri. Is taking the train from Izmir to Ankara followed by bus a good alternative? (read from turkeyplanner.com that it is not bad). Is the 9 Eylül Ekspresi (September 9th Express) at 850 pm having the same kinda comfortable sleeper compartments as Izmir Mavi Tren at 7 pm?

3. When we arrive in Ankara in the morning, I am thinking of visitng Mausoleum of Kemal Atatürk, though with our backpacks and luggage it might be cumblesome. May I know what is the last bus or bus schedule from Ankara to Neveshir/Goreme? Do we need to book this in advance?

4. One of my main interests in Cappadocia is to visit Guzelyurt and do photography of the High Church (3km away from Guzelyurt) during sunset. Does anyone know if the High Church will be lighted up at night and around what time?

5. Is it reasonable to do underground cities (Derinkuyu) in the morning, couple of hours hiking in Ihlara Valley followed by the rest of the afternoon and evening in Guzelyurt?

6. May I know what is the estimated time of sunrise and sunset in Cappadocia in May?

7. I am kinda still researching my exact plans for Cappadocia on Day 14. Should I squeeze Avanos into the Day 12 instead and what other places can I do on Day 14?

Looks like I have quite a lot of questions above -_-". Please advise and all your comments are greatly welcomed. Thanks!

Regards,

Cedric

alberta
Level Contributor
178 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turkey/Cappadocia plans and advice needed

Sun express are a good airline,,no need to avoid

5. yes you have time to take a tour to cover these in one day

Gocek, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Turkey/Cappadocia plans and advice needed

Sun Express is owned 50/50 by Lufthansa and Turkish Airlines, so I don't see why you would be worried about that. The flight will be a lot less tiring than any other form of transport, given you heavy schedule.

How are you planning to travel around Cappadocia? Are all your days there based upon organised excursions?

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,893 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turkey/Cappadocia plans and advice needed

6. May I know what is the estimated time of sunrise and sunset in Cappadocia in May?

this should answer your question

www.gaisma.com/en/location/kayseri.html

…wunderground.com/global/stations/17193.html

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,893 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turkey/Cappadocia plans and advice needed

<<<<1. Samos Star ferry from Samos to Kusadasi. Apparently this ferry leaves at 8 am and I am trying to book it but cannot find any online sites to do so. Can anyone advise if it is operating in early May and how may I book it in advance?<<<<<<<<<<<<

a couple of useful sites;

ferries-turkey.com/turkey-greece/…prices

http://www.feribot.net/feribot/?lang=en

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Turkey/Cappadocia plans and advice needed

Sunrise and sunset times - here's an excellent tool, just click on the map - http://www.sunrisesunsetmap.com/

Turkey
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Turkey/Cappadocia plans and advice needed

Dear Boroangel,

Sun Express is not an bad airline at all and if I was you I would fly from Izmir to Kayseri or at least catch a bus from Selcuk to Cappadocia. It will be a hassle to visit the Mausoleum of Ataturk with your luggage. The bus ride between Ankara and Cappadocia takes a little longer than 4 hours, it is actually 4,5 hours plus the 15 minutes transfer from Nevsehir to Goreme.

The last bus from Ankara to Goreme is at 6:30 pm. The buses run almost every 3 hours like 09:30, 1:00pm, 3:00 pm..You may find available seats on the bus even if you just show up around the bus departure time but it is best to be there about 1 hour before the bus departure time.

If you would like to take the pictures of High Church, you need to stay in Guzelyurt that night unless you take a private tour which would allow you to stay there longer as there is not any direct bus to take you back to Goreme.

As far as I know the High Church is not lighted up at night. If you decide to stay in Guzelyurt for the night, Hotel Karbella is a good choice.

The sun set in Cappadocia is around 7:00 pm currently.

Please do not hesitate to ask if you have further questions.

Enjoy your trip

Singapore
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Turkey/Cappadocia plans and advice needed

Guys...

thanks for the very informative posts...I would like to add on some more questions if you dun mind..

1. Cannom, on your link 'ferries-turkey.com/turkey-greece/…prices' , are they a reliable website where I can book my Samos to Kusadasi ferry through them?

2. I am going to book my ferries in greece through ferries.gr, are they an ok website to do so?

3. Hi kukipuoki, some very good information from you, thanks. If I do take Sun Express, I would actually have almost an extra day and nite in Selcuk, do you have any suggestions on what to do in Selcuk? I read in turkeyplanner.com that it is possible to do a day trip to priene, melitus and one other place...to be honest...I am not the greatest fan of ruins. I was in Pompeii before and got bored within an hr -_-". Where else do you propose I can visit with tat extra time? I was thinking Sirence.

Actually the reason why I wanna take the Train to Ankara wasn't to visit any places in Ankara. I read from turkeyplanner.com that its quite a relaxing trip to take train to ankara followed by bus...and...I kinda enjoy taking overnight trains, especially good clean ones.

4. For the day trip to underground cities , ihara valley and guzelyurt, I have been quoted a price of around 140 TL for a taxi driver (not guide) to take us around, fuel price included. Is that a fair price?

5. Actually, I would really prefer to drive myself but I can only drive an automatic on a different side of road, compared to where I come from. I enjoy road trips, stopping anywhere I like and take photos. Not sure the taxi driver would be that patient with us.

Is it possible to pick up the car in Goreme, rather than having to go to a car rental in Kayseri to pick up the car?

Your feedback is much appreciated!

Singapore
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Turkey/Cappadocia plans and advice needed

Ok...I think flying from Izmir to Kayseri by Sun Express is out as there is no flight on that day (9th May)

Turkey
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Turkey/Cappadocia plans and advice needed

If you would like to fly to Cappadocia, you can still do it, fly from Izmir to Istanbul and Istanbul to Cappadocia.. There are many flights between Izmir and Istanbul.

Or just simply take the over-night bus.

The rate of 140 TL for a drive to Ihlara is quite a fair rate, if you tell the driver to stop whereever you like I am sure he would do that for you.

You can rent a car and pick it up in Goreme at your hotel if you wish.

10. Re: Turkey/Cappadocia plans and advice needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 06, 2010