We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Underground cities & Ihlara Valley

Thailand
Level Contributor
1,649 posts
349 reviews
Save Topic
Underground cities & Ihlara Valley

Comparing Derinkuyu and Kaymakli, what are each's merits in terms of their beauty, mystery and accessibility by public transport? We are a couple on a strict budget based in Goreme. Is it possible to visit Ihlara Valley within a day on public transport from Goreme?

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
6,149 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Underground cities & Ihlara Valley

I don't know if many of us have visited both underground cities to give you a comparison.

If you look at a map you will see that the area with the underground cities and Ilhara Valley are quite a distance from the main Goreme, Urgup, Avanos area.

Public transport generally is very limited. i think there may be a bus near to the underground cities but it is not Ilhara.

By far the best and cheapest way to visit this area is to take a tour with a company like Turkish Heritage Travel or Rock Valley. They organise well priced tours, small groups, to visit one of the Underground cities and Ilhara. A very good lunch is usually included, which cuts your food costs for the day.

Finike, Turkey
Level Contributor
445 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Underground cities & Ihlara Valley

No big difference between Kaymakli and Derinkuyu. Do not expect too much from underground cities, it is strange,sure, a lot of corridors, 7 or 8 stairs underground, but nothing else. Don't make a special visit for Kaymakli or Derinkuyu, but enjoy a visit to Soganli Valley or Ihlara valley to visit one of them.

Quite difficult to go to Ihlara by public transport. Think to a car rental for one day, it should be around 35/40 euros.

Thailand
Level Contributor
1,649 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Underground cities & Ihlara Valley

ok. Thanks for the advice.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Underground cities & Ihlara Valley

Yes the underground cities are all corridors but I was very impressed with them. I went in with a guide and the stories of these are very interesting in my opinion.

They are very old. The first Christians used them to hide but even when they were hiding these caves were there for a long time. They have incredible defense, ventilation and life support systems. They have kitchens, bathrooms, places to store amphoras for wine, bedrooms, communal areas, carved out of hard granite, I just find this terribly exciting. When I went there I was told they found over 30 of these underground cities so far in the area, they don't have funds to dig all of them, Derinkuyu is the biggest they dug out and opened to the public. They even think they may be connected making a whole underground city. There are examples of this in South America as well but they are very rare. In my opinion very worth visiting.

I'm sorry I can't help with the public trabsport aspect, hopefully someone else can help.

Kozano

England
Level Contributor
70 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Underground cities & Ihlara Valley

I would echo the advice here of getting a guide for your tour, public transport is not that reliable. The underground cities are ok, but if you're limited for time and money i would give them a miss to be honest. Ihlara gorge is wonderful and would put aside most of a day for a leisurely walk ablong the riverside and visiting the numerous churches along the way. have a wonderful time!

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
6,149 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Underground cities & Ihlara Valley

Oh dear, my typing is awful - meant to say, I think there is bus to Underground cities but not to Ilhara.

I would rate visit to underground city as a "must -see" The history is fascinating and it is unbelievable that they could build(dig) these cities 7-8 storeys deep hundreds of years ago without any modern machinery.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,879 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Underground cities & Ihlara Valley

I think a guide is a "must" for the underground cities - so they can bring the place to life for you. Otherwise you might just feel like you've been through a dark and chill maze. And I agree that the best advise is to go on a locally arranged tour - the Heritage tours last year were very good value for all that they included.

Urgup, Turkey
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Underground cities & Ihlara Valley

There is no public transport to Ihlara Valley. You can only visit this place by joining organized tours. As the valley is in thr district of Aksaray. There is minibuses in every 30 minutes to City center from Goreme to catch Derinkuyu buses that stops on the way in Kaymakli area as well. I suggest you to join tours as it will be easy and cheap- all travel agents in here has guided tours combinig Ihlara valley with an underground city (Kaymakli/Derinkuyu).

9. Re: Underground cities & Ihlara Valley

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:21 pm, October 19, 2009