We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kalkan - cappadoccia - overnight accommodation each way..

Villa Kirmizi Lale...
Destination Expert
for Kalkan
Level Contributor
2,432 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Kalkan - cappadoccia - overnight accommodation each way..

My turn for some help now from my forum friends!!

We are driving from Kalkan to Goreme at the end of July and returning beginning of August and spending 4 nights (at the Kelebek Pension) and 3 full days in Cappadoccia - hope that will be enough?

First - can somebody give me a good itineray to see the major sites in Cappadoccia in that 3 full days allowing for 2 teenage kids and the heat of the summer.....

Secondly - we would like to do Kalkan to Konya or just before Konya in the first day - can anybody suggest a nice reasonably priced comfortable hotel either in Konya or on the Antalya side of Konya. Then on the return journey - we will need to be nearer Antalya... sort of Side/Belek area in order to be at Antalya airport by 12.30pm the next day - again anybody got a nice hotel in mind - i really don't fancy the 5* AI type golf hotels there - I have booked the Apricot in Istanbul and the Kelebek in Goreme - so I think you know what I'm after.. ;-)

Many thanks all!!

cheers!

Mentioned in this post
Antalya Airport
Antalya Airport
Antalya, Turkey
Kalkan
Kalkan
Antalya Province, Turkey
Goreme
Goreme
Cappadocia, Turkey
Konya
Konya
Konya Province, Turkey
Antalya
Antalya
Antalya Province, Turkey
Side
Side
Manavgat, Turkey
Belek
Belek
Serik District, Turkey
Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
7,090 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kalkan - cappadoccia - overnight accommodation each way..

Hi FAED!

Can't offer much help as I'm also just planning my trip for 5 nights, 3 days at Kelebek and 8 days at Nena in Istanbul, mid July!

Like you I'm hoping 3 days is enough, wish I'd added another but too late now! Also like you, I'm travelling with teenage daughter and worried about heat as we're from chilly Scotland!

Keep worrying that if we go on any of the tours with hikes in the valleys we'll embaress ourselves by pegging out with the heat - a few kilometres would be easy in climate we're used to but maybe not so easy in the heat!

Have a look at Turkish Heritage Travel website - I think it's run by the Kelebek people, some connection anyway. It gives you a good idea of tours in the area and also some other stuff which might appeal to the teenagers - white water rafting, cycling, quads, jeep safari! We're also considering some horse riding.

By chance, I was looking at Konya in Travel Guide tonight. A couple of hotels they recommend are - www.yenikoshoteli.com and www.ulushotelsitemynet.com - might be worth a look.

Mentioned in this post
Konya
Konya
Konya Province, Turkey
Villa Kirmizi Lale...
Destination Expert
for Kalkan
Level Contributor
2,432 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kalkan - cappadoccia - overnight accommodation each way..

Hi Heidiontheroad - thanks for your reply - looks like we are in the same boat and need to plan our time jointly..LOL!! We will be driving ourselves so want to make the most out of our 3 days and then retreat to the a/c in the car..!!!

Anybody else with any suggestions as to where to stay en route to and from Goreme...?? And our ideal 3 day itinerary..

Cheers!

Mentioned in this post
Goreme
Goreme
Cappadocia, Turkey
Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,441 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kalkan - cappadoccia - overnight accommodation each way..

Hi FAED!

You are going to have a wonderful trip! The kids will love Cappedocia, believe me it is more magical than Disneyland! We once drove over Antalya up to Konya and spent the night there. From Konya to Cappedocia is actually not too far, one straight boring road.

Another time we drove up over Manavgat, Beysehir lake (not going to Cappedocia but Ankara) and then you can conitnua to Konya. Beysehir is very nice, also the road up is spectacular scenery, the wooden mosque is worth a visit as well, but there are not many hotels, that could be a problem.

When we did the second trip (that was when we met up with Canmom!) we stayed near Side in a large hotel, whar usually would never be our choice, but it was late, out of season and we stopped as a coincidence in front of this hotel. It was actually not bad, it was called Nova Park Hotel in Kumkoy.

Another nice hotel where my friend stayed on her way to us is Paloma, in Antalya though.

Then for Cappodocia, you have a car and distances are not far once in Cappedocia. See Göreme's open air museum, Rose Valley, Üchisar, Ürgüp, Zelve, Avanos for the pottery ateliers (forget about the factories they are more tourist traps). An underground city, we liked Güzelyurt very much, you can visit Ihlara Valley. We were there 3 days and saw this all except for Ihlara.

Enjoy your trip!

Mentioned in this post
Nova Park Hotel
Nova Park Hotel
101 Reviews
Side, Turkey
Ihlara Valley
Ihlara Valley
944 Reviews
Guzelyurt, Turkey
Antalya
Antalya
Antalya Province, Turkey
Konya
Konya
Konya Province, Turkey
Manavgat
Manavgat
Antalya Province, Turkey
Ankara
Ankara
Ankara Province, Turkey
Side
Side
Manavgat, Turkey
Avanos
Avanos
Cappadocia, Turkey
Villa Kirmizi Lale...
Destination Expert
for Kalkan
Level Contributor
2,432 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kalkan - cappadoccia - overnight accommodation each way..

bumping up - I think VR has probably done our itinerary of must see things for our 3 days there - just wondered if anybody else had anything to add...!!

Thanks VR!!

5. Re: Kalkan - cappadoccia - overnight accommodation each way..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 pm, September 23, 2009