We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to not do...:(

Which Kusadasi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Things to not do...:(

We purchased a carpet from The Orient Bazar No: 7/D and also 10. They have at least one other store selling souvenirs, as well. We paid $3500 for a large, beautiful wool on cotton carpet to be shipped to our home. We did not buy from a store approved by our cruiseline, Celebrity, since we could not find the exact type of carpet we wanted in those shops. We took a photo of the carpet as we were purchasing it, which includes my husband and also the salesman. A carpet arrived at our home quickly by UPS from a shipper in New York. It arrived much sooner than the carpets our friends has shipped from the legit shops. It is not the same carpet--much, much cheaper version. We sent the company photos of the carpet and photos from their store of the one we purchased--obviously not even close to the same. They agreed to credit us and said to tell our credit card company to contact theirs. However, they then stopped answering our phone or e-mails and their credit card company will not refund us the money. Beware before purchasing from any shop that is not approved by a cruiseline. We spoke by phone with Orhan Diskaya, who said he was an owner He claimed that they were so sorry that they mistakenly sent our carpet to the wrong purchaser in Argentina. He said there would be no trouble refunding our money and then he'd tell us where to send this carpet....right. We nowcan get no reply from them by phone or email.

Unique Suggestions: If you shop for a carpet in the Orient Bazar in Kusadasi, shop only in stores approved by the cruiselines. Even if you aren't on a cruise, just tell them that you are. They have to be honest or risk losing lucrative business from cruiselines. Don't be intimidated by the crowds-- they are in those shops for a reason. They are just as willing to bargain on price. All shops originally wanted around $9,000 for a carpet that they will eventually be willing sell for $3500 if you are willing to walk away. Even if approved stores are a bit more expensive, it does not pay to become part of a scam by dishonest dealers. Do not buy anything from Galeri 44 Ethnic Art also known as Kusadasi Carpet. The credit card company calls the company Ersel Ozturk, which was not on any of our sales reciepts. They were located in No: 7/D and 10, and may be associated with other shops as well. The names of salesmen was ERSEL OZTURK, He originally spoke with us by phone and offered to resolve it, but now won't reply. Check out the photo of my husband with the salesman in their shop. If you stop by Kusadasi, please stop in and tell them that the Geitners would like them to reply to us about how to get our money back from their carpet scam.

Fun Alternatives: Our credit card company originally would not approve the purchase, since they said they have been having alot of trouble with purchases in Turkey. After several telephone calls, however, they did approve it. I only wish they hadn't. My husband in the photo is on the phone with the credit card company at the time of our purchase. If I hadn't taken the photo, I wouldn't have been able to prove it was the wrong carpet at all. Some of our friends signed the back of their carpets, but that can be imitated too, it seems to me. The salesmen will tell you that the "approved" shops are more expensive and ruining their chances at business. Don't listen to them. We learned a very expensive lesson in Turkey. If you do buy from an unapproved shop, ship the carpet home yourself, do not leave it with them. Still be aware that unless you are an expert, they may be selling you a carpet that is not what they say it is. We told them what we were looking for right away, but they didn't show us the nice carpet until first showing us many other cheaper ones. They probably had no intention of selling us this beautiful carpet for that price.

dont buy anything in Kusadasi!!!! stay away from KUSADASI CARPET shop.....

Barry, United...
Level Contributor
523 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to not do...:(

first let me state that we love kusadasi,we have a summer home there and visit 3 or 4 times every year for the last 6 years.BUT i would not buy expensive items such as carpets or gold/diamonds.not because i think everyone is out to con me but in any country where fake goods are a way of life there will always be a minority who will try to sell them as the genuine artical or as in this case just rip you off. its just not worth the risk,i watch this and other forums and see people who have lost much more than in this case usually in the form of fake diamonds or low caret/fake gold and you hear time and again "but they gave me a certificate /gurantee /personal letter from de beers-well if they can fool you with a fake stone they can fake a certificate.

if you are not able to tell the real thing from a fake dont buy it unless your purchase is assured by someone you totaly trust.

2. Re: Things to not do...:(

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 17, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Kusadasi