We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turkish Lira or Euros .. what is the best currency to take?

Truro, Cornwall
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Turkish Lira or Euros .. what is the best currency to take?

Many people tell me not to take Turkish Lira, just take Euros to spend in Turkey .. can anyone advise me what is best????

Jill Cornwall

228 replies to this topic
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Turkish Lira or Euros .. what is the best currency to take?

How about US $?? Is it the same? Can I use in in Baazar's? Or To use Lira is easier?

UK
Level Contributor
383 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Turkish Lira or Euros .. what is the best currency to take?

Lira definately better. For example we saw postcards priced at either 1TL or 1 €. Well 1 euro is about 90p (approx) whereas 1 lira is only about 30p.

Bournemouth
Level Contributor
324 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Turkish Lira or Euros .. what is the best currency to take?

Always Turkish Lira. There are DOVIS cash exchanges, or the post offices (yellow PTT signs) but forget banks to change money - they may charge you a higher rate of commision. Most jewellers will change to Lira for you. Also, travellers cheques are not easy to change and once again the banks may charge higher commission. There are ATMS in most places, but do be careful. Apparently if using the ATMS you get the best rate by withdrawing in GB ££s, then exchanging to Turkish. Hotels generally charge a higher rate of exchange.

We usually take about 50 Turkish Lira to cover the first day, then change in Turkey as you will get a higher rate.

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,758 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Turkish Lira or Euros .. what is the best currency to take?

If you live in the UK there is no reason to be touching Euros at all.

The exchange rate is normally better in Turkey so as others have suggested the best thing to do is take a small amount of lira with you and then either exchange sterling for lira when you get there or withdraw lira from the ATMs.

Chester, United...
1 post
Save Reply
15. Re: Turkish Lira or Euros .. what is the best currency to take?

how easy is it to exchange sterling to lira when your there id be worried about getting ripped off as i wouldnt understand there language bit of reassurence any one lol

scotland
Destination Expert
for Kusadasi
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Turkish Lira or Euros .. what is the best currency to take?

You won't get ripped off in the post office banks or any exchange shop

It also depends what you mean by ripped off. Currency exchange rates are advertised just like they are in the UK

The easiest way is to check with your own bank and see what charges youngest with an ATM

Don't exchange in a market or restaurant

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Turkish Lira or Euros .. what is the best currency to take?

We are going first 2 weeks in june. You mentioned just taking a few lire out with you. Do you take stirling and do you use stirling for meals/trips/ etc? Is stirling widely used or do i need to exchange to turkish lire? We have had bad experience's using cash machines and so try to avoid them, also it seems travellers ckeck's are not adviseable

scotland
Destination Expert
for Kusadasi
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Turkish Lira or Euros .. what is the best currency to take?

I use Sterling until I get to a cash machine to withdraw lira. You could take over cash and exchange in the change shop in centrum or at the post office (PTT).

I hardly use any cash, just for snacks and for purchasing in the markets. I use my credit card most of the time in restaurants and bars and pay it in full when I get home, this is because I don't get charged by my building society and purchases are insured. I wouldn't be too comfortable carrying a lot of cash.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Turkish Lira or Euros .. what is the best currency to take?

That's worth thinking about, credit card sounds like a good idea, probably a lot simpler as well.I must admit i'm not always comfortable carrying a wad of cash these days.

scotland
Destination Expert
for Kusadasi
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Turkish Lira or Euros .. what is the best currency to take?

Just be careful about credit card charges from your bank. Moneysaving expert website has a great section on the best cards to use abroad. I use Nationwide Visa Debit - no charges.

Reply to: Turkish Lira or Euros .. what is the best currency to take?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kusadasi