We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoid Hotel Faustina in Guzelcamli, Kusadasi

London
Level Contributor
11 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Avoid Hotel Faustina in Guzelcamli, Kusadasi

We made a 3 night booking at Hotel Faustina last month during our 3 week trip in Turkey. On arrival the hotel looked pristine and the staff seemed helpful, but the reception had a strong diesel odour emanating from the bottom of their open spiral staircase.

At 9pm the diesel smell had reached our room on the first floor. We alerted the reception desk of this problem and they confirmed that they will look into the problem. The air conditioning in the room was woefully inadequate but the opened patio doors to the balcony gave some relief from the summer night heat.

The diesel smell became so strong that we woke up around 2:30am and it proved impossible to remain in the room. The reception staff suggested that we move to the room next door remaining adamant that the smell was only slight and was not a problem. We moved our luggage ourselves with no assistance from the staff. Attempts to sleep in this room also proved impossible - as soon as the patio doors were opened the diesel odour was drawn into the room from the corridors of the hotel. The staff appeared to be very agitated but provided a room on the top floor of the hotel - the suffocating odour was still present. Other than packing up and finding another hotel at 3:30am in the morning, the only option was to sleep on the balcony! (We dragged the mattresses onto the balcony and slept wrapped up to avoid the mosquitoes!)

In the morning the staff were very hostile and unapologetic. The manager who called himself the "Chef" rather than the "Chief" was ill mannered. He admitted that their boiler produces a smell in the basement whenever it is switched on but not when it was off but suggested that because no other guests complained, our problem was not serious and possibly just us being unreasonable. He continued to proclaim that he could apologise to us but he would not mean it!!

We demanded that they refund the following 2 nights - we had no intention of staying in a hostile and frankly health damaging hotel. The manager was only interested in passing our complaint to our travel agent and that all refunds should be addressed to them.

We managed to get a refund for the remaining nights minus the commission charges and found a friendly pension near by.

AVOID HOTEL FAUSTINA, GUZELCAMLI, KUSADASI AT ALL COSTS!

amsterdam
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avoid Hotel Faustina in Guzelcamli, Kusadasi

Secret squirrel, I'm sorry you had this bad experience but I had to laugh: this hotel has had a dreadful reputation for years.

I live in Holland and I know that the Dutch tour operators stopped working with this hotel because of the way the owner treats guests.

I heard a story from someone in the village who said that guests returned home one evening to find their room stinking of whisky. The owner, they claimed, had searched the room, found their duty-free bottle and - since the hotel rules prohibit bringing in one's own supplies of alcohol - had emptied it onto the floor in a fit of pique.

If you ever go back to Guzelcamli, try Hotel Doridas. I've been there twice: a nice, very clean, quiet, extremely friendly little hotel with its own small pool and garden. The staff do everything they can to make your stay a pleasant one.