We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another money question

Which Side hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Essex
2 posts
Save Topic
Another money question

I am going to Side in August and wonder what currency is best to take with us. A colleague has recommended only taking sterling bacause when he has been they have all been happy to deal in sterling - is this the same in Side? Are there any cashpoint facilities in the town at all? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
633 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another money question

hi, i always take fifty pounds in turkish lira just until i sus the place out, the rest i take stirling or travelers cheques.

shop around for the best rate, there are lots of places to change your money.

there are cashpoint facilities all over side.

stirling is good to use at the markets, you can get a better deal.

hope this helps, any more questions, fire away.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,359 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another money question

When I was in Side last year Euros were the most popular. However, Sterling was also accepted. Lots of Germans go here, hence the Euro.

Ballymoney, United...
Level Contributor
861 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another money question

As todder says, a small amount of lira to tide you over till you find your feet, the rest stirling - cash/TC's or card. No point changing stirling to euros as you will lose out

Ireland
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Another money question

Hi all,

my boyfriend and I are going to Side for the first time soon and we are wondering how much money we need to take with us??? We were wondering if ���1000 would be enough to take and should we get the euros changed to lira before we fly out?

We are flying from Ireland so we have Euro anyway.

Thanks

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
633 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another money question

hi muffin 147,

if you take 1000 pounds you will have enough to pay for me as well, lol,

it is still quite cheap to eat and drink in turkey, clothes are very cheap as well, and they are good quality.

it's best to change your money over there every few days, as the rate gets better all the time.

hope this helps.

Ireland
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Another money question

Cheers todder, I was just wondering about the 1000 euro because I don't want to be caught short over there!!!

Are the shops and clothes good? What about leather goods?

Mags

side
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Another money question

Best way is to change some of your money at Post Office Only PTT can give the best rate for change..and of course dont buy leather or other thinghs with pound..if they dont calculate it on high rate..otherwise you loose money..especially when you buy gold,leather make bargain..

there are cash machines in town also change offices but they charge commison of course..

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
633 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Another money question

hi muffin, the shops are great, the leather is the best in the world in my opinion, if you are buying leather you may need a bit more money to be on the safe side,

the leather is much cheaper than england, and much nicer.

the clothes are very good as well, they wash great, and of course you can get all the designer copies, the designer watches are brill as well, i always buy 4 at a time, and i get them for 20 pounds stirling, you have to barter but it is good fun and well worth it. dont forget to shop around first.

Ireland
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Another money question

Thanks front-officer and todder for all your advice... I am really excited about going now. Looking forward to sampling Turkish food also!!!

Only two weeks to go now until I fly out!

london
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Another money question

��1000!!!! i am going to ovicek with my girlfriend this sat and had hoped to take ��300 each and have change...!! not too interested in shopping but want to do the day trips etc. is this going to be enough?

p.s only just qualified so loads of debts!