We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
805 posts
177 reviews
Save Topic
Currency

I have read with interest over the past few weeks whether to exchage to euro or TL. I am still undecided.

We have no intention other than once to leave the hotel complex to then purchase souvenirs Turkish delight and maybe a leather bag etc so we are unlikely to spend more than £200. Would you say just exchange to euro?

10 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
380 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency

Stirling is best and lira, do not change Stirling for r euro as better currency than euro

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,658 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency

Most people will say Lira for Side; we've always used local currency. The only time we use Euro is if we have some left from another destination.

And change the majority in resort for a slightly better rate.

Edited: 5:57 am, June 12, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Side
Side
Manavgat, Turkey
North East England...
Level Contributor
185 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency

pound to lira is a really good rate atm and if items priced in euros they have to give you the price in lira just use ur mobile to work out the cost

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
805 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency

TL it is then! Thanks so much everyone much appreciated

Shipley, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency

Change at resort? Thats a first for me. I thought they gave you a lower rate because of them providing you a service. I suppose I will try this out when I get there. I am travelling for Colakli tomorrow. Does anyone know what the going rate is right now?

Mentioned in this post
Colakli
Colakli
Manavgat, Turkey
Brighton and Hove...
Level Contributor
7,426 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Currency

The TL exchange rate is always best in Turkey. Except .... just recently the rates were rocketing and it was making sense to exchange in UK if you could get 6TL or more to the Pound since it was thought rates might drop as time went on...(which has proven to be the case - although still high 5TL now). If you are travelling tomorrow, I would wait and change once there.

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,126 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Currency

When the poster says change at resort, they mean in the town not at your hotel where the rate will not be good. Use the PTT (post office), there’s a couple in Side but not sure if there’s one nearer your hotel.

North East England...
Level Contributor
185 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Currency

pound to lira still over 6 today

5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Currency

Just back from side. U defo get better prices for lira. Everthing is priced in euros. But just tell them ur payin in lira. Enjoy.

Woking, United...
Destination Expert
for Side
Level Contributor
6,877 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Currency

Today at the PTT Post Office in Side you get 6.28 TL to £1 ... can't do better than that in the UK ... but make sure your £s are clean with no writing or rips on them or they will not accept them, nor will they take £5 notes or Scottish money ... there are 2 x PTT Post Offices in Side, one in the Old Town by the harbour and the other just behind Alremu Restaurant by the beach behind the promenade. They open 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday but close for lunch for one hour between 12.30pm and 1.30pm x Angela x

Mentioned in this post
Side
Side
Manavgat, Turkey
Reply to: Currency
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Side