We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meis (Kastelorizo) to Kaş - Fethiye

Athens
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Meis (Kastelorizo) to Kaş - Fethiye

Hello,

I have a few questions about entering Turkey from Kas through Kastelorizo (Meis):

1. are there any boats that can take me to Kas in the evening? (The flight lands at Kastelorizo at 17:00)

2. I plan to stay in Turkey for one week and then return to Greece through the same route (Kas to Kastelorizo). Do I have to pay any money to the port at Kas (since this not a one-day visit)? I am an EU citizen and I plan to travel only with my identity card (no passport is required as far as I know)

3. which is the best way to go to Fethiye from Kas? Are there any buses or car rentals available? Any clue about the cost?

Any info will be helpful! Thank you in advance!

Gocek, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Meis (Kastelorizo) to Kaş - Fethiye

Hi ypan,

1. I think you would be lucky to find a boat over in the evening, unless it's a Turkish boat taking day-trippers back to Kas, but maybe someone from Kas can answer that question better.

2. I have bumped up my thread on visas for 2008. As a Greek citizen you do not need to pay for a tourist visa to Turkey, but the rules say that you must have a valid passport - Turkey isn't an EU country, as you're obviously aware, and as far as I know they don't accept EU identity cards instead of passports - their rules certainly don't say they do.

3. There are plenty of buses from Kas to Fethiye and the bus station is a few hundred metres from the port. Car rental is about € 30 per day.

Villa Kirmizi Lale...
Destination Expert
for Kalkan
Level Contributor
2,414 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Meis (Kastelorizo) to Kaş - Fethiye

Hi Ypan - there has been some debate on www.enjoykalkan.com as to whethere Meis is an official entry point into turkey. You may do well to check that out for sure as you don't want to be disappointed - and yes either way you WILL need your passport!

Cheers!

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,893 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Meis (Kastelorizo) to Kaş - Fethiye

there have been two other posts one last year and earlier this year you might want to check out..

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297965-i4654-k108…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298657-i5548-k191…

I will also bump them up for you to find easier..

Gocek, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Meis (Kastelorizo) to Kaş - Fethiye

Kas is an official port of entry into Turkey, so there's no problem at that end.

Although I've seen talk of Meis becoming a port of entry, I can't see any evidence that it is.

If this becomes a problem, you could always travel to Fethiye by the ferry from Rhodes instead.

Athens
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Meis (Kastelorizo) to Kaş - Fethiye

Hi guys - thank you all for your replies.

Regarding the visa / identity card issue, I paste here some information from the Greek Foreign Affairs Ministry [note that the information should apply to all EU citizens also] (http://www.mfa.gr/www.mfa.gr/en-US/Services/Visas/Visas+for+Greeks+travelling+abroad):

Greek nationals, holders of valid identity cards or passports, can travel to these countries (i.e. "Schengen Countries") without being subject to controls other than an identity check by competent authorities or transport companies upon departure. Third Countries (outside the EU and the Schengen area): Holders of Greek (diplomatic, service, or other) passports can travel to those countries that require a visa or those that do not.

EU citizens are not required to pay for a Visa entering Turkey.

However, when I got my new Identity Card (a year ago) there was an announcement there with the countries that you can visit holding only the identity card; Turkey was included. I will further check this and let you know.

Regarding the boat, the agency I contacted (Meisexpress) say they do not operate on weekends, as such I will have to find another company.

Regarding the Rhodes - Fethiye connection, no timetables have been announced yet.

Gocek, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Meis (Kastelorizo) to Kaş - Fethiye

Well, it's certainly inaccurate to say that EU citizens do not have to pay for a visa!

The French, Italians and Latvians don't, but most others do.

Kalkan
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Meis (Kastelorizo) to Kaş - Fethiye

Dudismo, you state that Kas is an official port of entry, have you actually used it as such (other than for visa runs). It would be very good to get this confirmed as there is conflicting information. I have yet to hear of anyone who has managed it. Ypan if you do manage this trip please could you post on the forum to confirm it is possible.

Gocek, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Meis (Kastelorizo) to Kaş - Fethiye

There are many references in all sorts of places to Kas being a port of entry, here's one: -

"Ports of entry along the Turkish coast are: Trabzon, Giresun, Ordu, Samsun, Inebolu, Hopa, Rize, Sinop, Zonguldak, Bartin, Eregli, Tekirdag, Derince, Gemlik, Istanbul, Canakkale, Mudanya, Bandirma, Akcay, Ayvalik, Dikili, Izmir, Cesme, Kusadasi , Didim, Gulluk, Bodrum, Datca, Marmaris, Fethiye, Kas, Finike, Kemer, Antalya, Alanya, Anamur, Bozyazi, Botas, Tasucu, Mersin, Iskenderun."

If it weren't a port of entry, then one wouldn't be able to do the visa run.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,893 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Meis (Kastelorizo) to Kaş - Fethiye

Just out of pure curiousity ( and no I have never done this myself but plan to in the future to visit the island for a day ) I called to a friend in Kas and was told YES it is a legal point of entry..plus many many web sites also write the same.

worldturkey.com/tourisminfo/boatrules.html

http://www.kesit.com/bvoyage/marina.htm

http://www.allaboutturkey.com/boatrules.htm

all easily found through google with ''turkish port of entry marina''

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=turkish+ports+of+entry+marina

Athens
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Meis (Kastelorizo) to Kaş - Fethiye

I just checked with the Turkish Embassy in Athens (+302107263000): NO PASSPORT IS REQUIRED FOR GREEK CITIZENS - you can visit Turkey for up to 90 days using ONLY YOUR (NEW) IDENTITY CARD [note: by "new" I refer to the new Greek Identity Cards where the holder's information is also written in Latin characters).

I do not know if this applies only to Greeks or all EU Citizens. I suggest that you should call your country's Turkish Embassy for more information.

Get answers to your questions about Kas
Recent Conversations