We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kalkan next week

uk
Level Contributor
70 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
kalkan next week

Hi - after booking Villa Caretta last year following recommendations on this forum (Annemac etc), I just wondered how others had got on over the last few months on their holiday. We head off next week and are really looking forward to it. A couple of queries - I understand you can buy duty free on arrival at Dalaman Airport (cheaper than UK I guess?); transfer takes around 2 hours to Kalkan - any recent prices please? Also understand from TA that Sade is no 1 restaurant; can anyone answer my query about the 2 or 1 Indian restaurant which is featured - there are 2 on TA but they have the same address so I'm assuming that there's just one and has recently been taken over? Thursday is market day - is that right - does the market sell everything or just food and where exactly is it? Is it safe to hire a motorbike/moped/quad bike or is it just better to either walk or take taxis? Any advice really welcome, thanks.

congleton, United...
Level Contributor
741 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: kalkan next week

Feeling jealous, we won't be back there until Oct...

can't answer on duty free...

Restaurants, can't quite work out the TA ranking... they mix top end restaurants with local fast food and cafes (all have their place and in Kalkan from experience all are good to great). if you ask Kalkan regulars for their top 10 you will get a different list from each and they will all be different to the TA version, and if you go to any 10 restaurants at random you will have 10 fabulous meals, with so much choice average/poor restaurants fail very quickly. the Indian is called TanZore @ Chapter One, some reviews are entered as Chapter One and some as TanZore, if you like India food you will love TanZore..

Market is Thursday, from the town centre walk up towards the Bus station and petrol station and you will see it on your right, they sell pretty much everything.. on the opposite side of the road to the market entrance is Cafe Ev , great place to visit for a drink..or lunch after a morning shopping!!

Some good (up-to-date) reviews can be found on www.enjoykalkan.com in the forum section along with holiday reports from people there at the moment and past few weeks. Also KTLN http://kalkan.turkishlocalnews.com/ is full of info. well worth joining.

Enjoy

congleton, United...
Level Contributor
741 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: kalkan next week

Transfers typically cost £55 1-3 persons, £70 4-6 persons (price each way) this is for pre booked private transfers, normally we allow 2hrs but this does depend on if you take a break and the driver! (it can take as little as 80mins)

Edited: 4:55 am, August 22, 2013
London
Level Contributor
249 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: kalkan next week

Buy your duty frees at your uk airport would be my advise, Much much cheaper than Dalaman, and def cheaper than buying them in Kalkan.

As Gyrapix says 'tanZore' is the only Indian restaurant in Kalkan, new this season. It is above Adda Tours.

I hope ( know ) you have a fab holiday

uk
Level Contributor
70 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: kalkan next week

thanks for your replies so far- really interesting - particularly about duty free being cheaper in UK - very surprised at that to be honest but will take your advice.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: kalkan next week

I will 2nd that about buy duty ftee in uk dalaman expensive and Kalkan supermarkets even more. its because of very high tax the turkish government have put on alchohol and then kalkan is bit more expensive than other turkish resorts. on a happier note you will love kalkan its a fabulous place.

uk
Level Contributor
70 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: kalkan next week

thanks for replies re duty free - how about cigarettes/tobacco?

London
Level Contributor
249 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: kalkan next week

Same, buy at uk airport.

8. Re: kalkan next week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, August 28, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Kalkan
Recent Conversations